1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Speech/langauge development in children - questions/advice

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by partha, Nov 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SLV

SLV Gold IL'ite

Congrats Partha....you did help your nephew!! Good Luck

2. SLV

SLV Gold IL'ite

Yes, you need to start stimulating and motivating the child to talk before it gets too late and becomes too much of a concern.
    1. Make sure he is hearing well. This is very very important to be able to be talking.
    2. Do write back to me as to how much he understands what you tell him and how does he communicate what he wants/ likes/ dislikes.
    3. A little about his routine, diet and play activities.

For a start, you too can start with activities that i have listed out here for 'Partha's' nephew. The activities could be the same, you could adapt it to your language, your son's interests and the child's environment.

Good Luck!!

3. SLV

SLV Gold IL'ite

Ya, the text book and many developmental chart do give figures and data.
    This would of-course depend on a lot many factors such as- number of languages the child is exposed to, overall development of the child and also on the Psycho-social environment the child lives in.
    The other point is that the description has two parts- Number of words the child understands (comprehension) and the number of words a child uses (expression). All said the norms could be roughly so:

Between 6-9months- vocalizations and babbling
    Before 12months- First word (amma/appa/pappa...anything used consistently and meaningfully)
    By 18months- about 20words (need based)
    By 2years- about 200 words and some attempts at combining two words meaningfully
    By 3yrs- more than 500 words with 80% intelligibility, makes 3word combination and is able to communicate all wants and needs. Grammar still evolving.
    By 4yrs- longer sentences, more intelligible speech with 'r and l' almost evolved, tenses still stabilizing

Hope i answered your query.

1 person likes this.
  4. SLV

SLV Gold IL'ite

Dear Moderator,

As i see many threads with similar questions posted time and again and believe responses to one thread could help others too.
    I request, if it may help could you rename this thread as "Ask questions about Child's Speech and Language Development" or something on similar lines so that the parents can benefit from responses shared here.

Thank you :thumbsup

5. priya78

priya78 Bronze IL'ite

Dear SLV
    I started crying after reading your posts my child turned 4 last thursday but he still not speaking properly he answers in one word some times say 2 or 3 words that too the words are not very clear when I asked the pediatrician she said its fine but during my last visit I insisted to her about my concern she told me to meet a speech therapist but when I read ur post I realise that I am very late even my elder one was very slow with speech and he picked up only when he was 4.please guide me what to do next?:drowning:drowning:drowning

6. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

SLV - I've renamed this thread as you requested. Its a great idea to have all these queries/advice in one place. You are doing a wonderful job!

Vanathi.

7. SLV

SLV Gold IL'ite

Vanathi,
    Am sure you are more experienced and qualified than me and i trust you to be around to help me too.
    I will do my best.

Thanks a lot!!:thumbsup

8. anukv

anukv Bronze IL'ite

even i have my brother's son with same problem...they started a therapy class for him
    he is much better now

9. dheepu81

dheepu81 New IL'ite

hi

I'm a Speech therapist myself...........i jus went through.......... the child definitely needs speech therapy..........btw does the child go to play school........putting the child in a nearby play school....will help getting peer play and devlop pre linguistic skillls..

then put her her in speech therapy for atleast 3 - 4 days a week...each therapy session will be around 30 mins to 1hr depending on where you go..........its advisable to go to a qualified speech therapist near your house............if you need anything more let me know.

dheepa

10. SLV

SLV Gold IL'ite

First of all- Cheer up, your mood and emotions get a lot reflected on the development of your child. And its your positive attitude that can make all the difference to your child, its only YOU who can help him.
    So relax and let's get talking and see how we can make it better for you and your DS.

I see a pattern of development common to both your kids, so lets say both picked up Speech and language skills a little later than their peers. Now that's not a concern as long as they are on par with their peers now.

I will ask you a few questions here and please answer with examples.
    (you could give me examples in your mother tongues, need not be English alone). I can understand Kannada, Telugu, Hindi, Tamil and Malayalam(to some extent). So you could quote the way you exchange conversations at home.

1. Answering in 1 or 2words- Could you explain this with examples for me please??
    2. As Vanitha had asked another parent, does you child make 'Role Play'?? Does he play as Dad/Mom or say as Police/Doctor/Teacher? How elaborate are his imaginative skills then?
    3. How is his communication with his brother and peers? Does he initiate communication?
    4. Can he tell you a short story about what happened in school/ at playground or communicate if he had a fall and how it happened? How elaborate is his communication then.

There are some skills listed here for children across various age groups.
    Could you please go through them and let me know how many of them he clears- Please check the charts for Kindergarten and First grade.

Kindergarten

5. Is he going to Kindergarten/play group- how are his activities and social skills there?

We'll keep in touch and see how i can help you.
    Cheer up. Good Luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.