1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

DS stranger anxiety pls help

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by ajuma, Jan 17, 2011.

1. ajuma

ajuma Senior IL'ite

Dear experienced mummies,

I have again come up with new issue with my DS. DS is 18months. nowadays i am observing that DS starts screaming as soon as some stranger passing by gives him a smile or try to say hello to him.

recently we were in temple and met old friends. and they husband n wife both started speaking with DS, saying hello n DS started screaming continously. i tried to speak with him n calm down. but he continued until i took him away from them. i felt very embarassed. :hide:
    when i take him to park, he likes to play alone. mostly running, asking about all things he sees. I have not seen him playing with other kids.

when i told this to pediatrician he says some kids develop stranger anxiety at this age. he did not bother much about it.

Just want to know from all mothers here, is any of your kids also behave like this? is this normal? wht i will do at these situations, how to help him to overcome this ?
    so i just worry if he continues like this, he will feel difficulty in getting along with kids in school. he spends day time with maid all alone, i will be with him from 6.30pm.

pls give any suggestions, ideas,

Thank you.

2. enlightened

enlightened Bronze IL'ite

Ajuma, I had this problem with my elder son, until he was about 3 years old.Beleive me, I never gave importance to social visits because they would get very embarassing when my son would scream looking at the others and throw tantrums.I was so nervous that I actually consulted a child psychologist.She said that kids who have a higher than normal IQ are associated to have a high stranger anxiety.
    Its a passing phase. My son who is 5+ is doing very well socially and is considered a very friendly child.Hugs to you, but dont worry , the phase is temporary...

Deepa.

3. brindhaaa

brindhaaa Bronze IL'ite

Thanks ajuma for this thread, same pinch. My 26mths is behaving the same way, even iam worried how he will be managing school, but the words of deepa above has bring some confidence . Thanks deepa.

Awaiting for some more inputs..

4. PeeVee

PeeVee Senior IL'ite

DS had a little starnger anxiety when he was around 1yr old..he never used to cry..but he wont smile at strangers or listen to them..then we started taking him out to the temple often and visiting our friends a little more often..also take him whenever we go out for shopping..now he is fine with anybody..even on his first day on daycare he was fine..

I have seen one of our friends daughter with the same problem around when she was 18months old..when i went there, as soon as we enter the home she started screaming and was the same until we left that home..now she is 26months old and doesn't have any such issue..her mom told, she wont go with any strangers..she was a little hesitant to play with my son initially..but in 15minutes they started playing together and were enjoying a lot..

you really dont have to feel embaressed on this issue..i dont think others would feel bad about it..i never felt anything odd when i saw our friends daughter crying..ofcourse i wanted to get out of the house soon, but it is not because of my discomfort, just wanted that girl to feel comfortable..kids are different and they behave different..so it is not any big issue..they will change as they grow..

5. ajuma

ajuma Senior IL'ite

Hi Deepa, PeeVee thank you for sharing about your kids.
    It helped me knowing that its common for kids and just a passing phase.

Hi brindha, I take my son to park everyday, so that he can see the kids playing, I will speak with him whenever he screams at strangers, even though he dont understand it.

waiting for more replies.:)

6. brindhaaa

brindhaaa Bronze IL'ite

Ajuma, the problem is my son doesnt even come to park , when it is crowded with kids. He moves very well with elderly people ,but with kids a big no :(((