1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cold & cough

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by ssubhasr, Jan 13, 2011.

1. ssubhasr

ssubhasr Silver IL'ite

Hi all

My baby is 2.5 yrs now. And she is going to the day for the past 1.5 months. She is having cold & cough from the day when she started to go to day care. I mean she is ok for 2 weeks and again she is getting heavy cold :& cough for next 2 weeks. Am so worried about her health, as she is not eating anything when she is having cold & cough. I took her to the pediatrician almost every week in the month of december and january first week. When I took her the last time the pediatrician told that she is having ear infection because of the cold and gave her the anti-biotic for 10days. I gave her the medicine and stopped giving her after 10days. She was doing good when she was taking the medication and now she is having heavy code from yesterday onwards. She is having her 30th month check up and vaccination on 17th January. Am so worried if the doctor will give her the shot on 17th Jan or not...Because I heard they generally dont give the shot to the kids when they have or cold/fever.
    What is the remedy to get rid of this cold & cough ? How do I protech her from the cold? Please help me... :-(

2. Shmira

Shmira Bronze IL'ite

Hi
    I can feel it, I will not be happy to see a person stuck with cold & cough in my home. Poor little kid of urs!!! Hope she recovers soon..

I hate cold & cough personally with very bad experiences!!!

Ok to ur point, I do not know anything about the vaccination if the doctors would do it with cold or not!! But to get rid of cold before ur vaccaination time:
    my paati's kaivaidhyam for kids might help. Here it is!!!
    -> 1 spoon honey , add pepper powder to it and suck it up... With honey kid will take it happily.
    (or)
    -> Ur kid is 2.5 years right, vicks on hot water and inhaling the steam should also get rid of cold & cough soon.
    My patti has experience doing these with me,my sibling, my cousins and even with my niece for long time with successful results.

PS --- I dnt see any harm to try this out at home. I am not a doctor. But If you are comfortable then try with ur kid otherwise please dnt!!!

Some tips from my personal experience:

1) How about warm food to eat anytime of the day
    2) How about not to let the baby take cold items like ice cream or any kinda frozen stuff
    3) I know its hard for me at this age to control my chocolate temptations. how about "no chocolate until cold and cough stops" ??? (If the kid eats a lot of chocolate).
    4) While at home instead of sneezing on tissues, use the wash basin often to sneeze and wipe away ??? Its hard with kid , u have to do it each time .. but just a thought!!!

I am not sure if this is possible,

Even after ur kid recovers from cold, in school the other kids may not have as an effect ur kid might again get the cold. In that case when you drop off is it possible to ask the teacher to take some care on this issue???
    I am sure if its a small montessary they will take special care on request!!!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  3. deba19

deba19 New IL'ite

Hi there...I can well understand how u feel and what u must be going through, since not so long ago I was in the same position as you.
    Antibiotics for cold & infections as pescribed by doctors is never a long term cure and to be true the doctors don't really care about the real health of a child as long as they can pescribe something for the immediate problem. I would suggest you can start giving a regular dose of "Septilin" which is an ayurvedic tonic for cold and infections and to increase body's resistance. Keep giving it at least for three months continuously.It's easily available in most pharmacies. Also you can try a herbal medicine named Echinacin juice which can be given just as you feel a bout of cold or cough is starting. Give it for 3/4 days and discontinue even if the cold continues. Also make sure your kid gets some daily dose of sunshine during the day either in nursery or at home while with you. I guess it kind of works. Also maybe you could try making it a habit for your child to wear sneakers etc and avoid walking/running around barefeet if your child is not wearing it already. Just a few suggestions from a parent to another. Hope it helps...

4. Archana23

Archana23 Senior IL'ite

hi subha,
    my son is 19 months and he too suffers from the same problem. its almost 1.5 months he is having cold , cough, fever. And you are right, vaccination is not given when they have cold n cough. i had to postpone his vaccination for 2 months due to it.

Deba has recommended Septillin. It really works. But my pead has told me not to give it for more than 3 months. so i have stopped it now and he has cold again.

while giving her milk, add turmeric to it. have heard it also increases immunity. have started now.should watch and see what happens.

waiting for some more replies on your post. i think it would be helpful for me too.