1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Help with my DS Meal Plan

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by KriYog, Jan 14, 2011.

1. KriYog

KriYog New IL'ite

Hi All,

My DS is 25 months old and he is under weight and a picky eater.He is going to Preschool from 8.30 - 3.30 PM.

Mornings he eats probably 1/2 cup of Saathu maavu Kanji(Porridge).
    He doesnt eat in the school and when he comes home he eats snacks at 4.00 (crackers, 1/2 cup milk) and dinner (1/2 cup pongal or 1/2 paratha or 1 idlli). Looks like he is not getting enough to eat.

Please give your suggestions on how i can change his menu what i can include so that increases his calorie intake and also is nutritious.Especially in the morning he wakes up at 7.30 and doesnt want to eat anything as he is crying to go to school.

People look at my son and say that he looks like a 1 year old kid and that hurts me a lot.

2. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

Hmmn definitely he needs some help in eating more!

I would suggest you give him a bottle of formula or milk , or a banana milkshare as soon as he wakes up. Give him some light breakfast before he heads off to school. Therefore, even if he does not eat at school, atleast he will not be hungry!

You will have to try and experiment with different foods to see what he likes in order to get him to eat more. He's definitely not eating enough for a 2 year old. You should also add a spoon or 2 of butter/ghee/olive oil to his food so that he can consume extra calories.

This is what my 2.5 son's day looks like

On waking up - 7 oz milk
    1.5 hrs later breakfast - pureed banana or strawberries mixed with some butter and cereal or oatmeal with butter
    2 hrs later lunch - steamed salmon with rice and mix veg soup or macaroni with cheese and mix vegetables or khichdi and dahi
    Afternoon nap, then 7 oz milk
    Evening Snack : couscous with veggies or a 1/2 of a hamburger bun with cheese, tomato sauce and some veggies or chicken nuggets with fruits
    Dinner : Roti with veggies and daal or Pasta with veggies or Rice with veggies n daal
    Before Bed - 8-9 oz of milk.

Have you had the iron level of your baby checked out? If it is low, then he will have a low appetitie and slow growth and low weight. My son was born in 50th percentile for weight but at his 1.5 year checkup he had slipped to 5th percentile because he was anemic. we put him on an iron supplement as suggested by his ped. and that greatly helped with appetitie and weight gain. Now at 29 months, he is in 60th percentile :)

3. PeeVee

PeeVee Senior IL'ite

I also think he definitely need to eat little more. in my opinion, instead of giving him snacks at 4.00, you should give him something really heavy like a lunch when he comes back from school. You said he doesn't eat anything at school. If he stays without food from 8.30 -3.30, he should be really hungry. Try some lunch options like rice with dal or something like that. If he eats that at 4.00, you can easily feed him another course of a light meal around 7.30-8.0 as his dinner.

4. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Try giving him heda powder with water (kadukadi in tamil)
    this imporves the digestion once the digestion is proper, they go poo properly, their appetite increases.
    so he will eat well

5. KriYog

KriYog New IL'ite

Hi thanks for your suggestions

Ptamil, do we get heda powder in USA.

6. shobna

shobna Bronze IL'ite

Hi,
    My DS is also 25 months old, and is a picky eater and is underweight.. he also doesn't like milk..
    The key is found to make him eat is 'variety'. I found that he was easily getting bored with the same rice lunch i used to be giving him. I tried packing instant rice idiyappam, Semolina Upma, variety rice for his play school, and he seems to like it. Now if I give him rice for one meal, the next is something he likes..like chapati, dosa, upma. This seems to work out better for me.. Also, I give him 3-4 pieces of dry fruits like pista/cashew in mornings before he goes for play school. Hope this helps you..
    Also, as per my paed's advice, if all his activities are normal, dont worry much about the weight..

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  7. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

Try taking bowls of food and eating in front of him without offering him, This is one Idea which worked well for my freinds who had a picky eater. If the parents are munching in front of her and not offering any food , She used to come and ask to give some to her.

Even I was able to introduce fruits to my Son by asking my husband to eat in front of him. Then my Son too started asking for those fruits.

Does your SOn eat Junk food like Fruit drink, Maggi, pasta which are like magnets to any kid? If it eats so much less i would give junk food just to get enough food to him.

Try Cheerios or yo-plait type of fruit yogurt.

8. DevikaS

DevikaS Senior IL'ite

give him pediasure to drink before school

9. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Sorry for the delayed reply. I am sure you will get Herda powder (or the herda as a nut) in Indian stores.

10. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

I also give my son 2 almonds every day in the morning.

I soak it overnight and peel of the skin in the morning and give it to him.

Me and my husband also have in the morning. In the long run, almonds are a good source of energy for the brain