1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Brown Rice

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by jasbir, Sep 1, 2010.

1. jasbir

jasbir New IL'ite

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Cgspal%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="City"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Arial Unicode MS"; panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1 -369098753 63 0 4129279 0;} @font-face {font-family:"\@Arial Unicode MS"; panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1 -369098753 63 0 4129279 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-font-family:"Arial Unicode MS";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I have read much on brown rice and its nutrient value. But I wonder if I am getting brown rice from the market or some cheat products. In <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Lucknow</st1:place></st1:city>, U.P I have acquired three brands of brown rice all with MRP per kg ranging from Rs100 to Rs 150. These are Kohinoor Basmati Rice that comes in small gunny bags and is the most expensive, Dawat and Tilda in polybags. They are not totally brown but have some shades of brown on them but after cooking they have no brownishness in them just an off white color unlike polished white rice that on cooking become bright white. Kohinoor rice in gunny bags seem to have some brownish worms/insects which become apparent on washing the rice before cooking.

[FONT=&quot]Can forum members give me more feedback on brands of brown rice? I just cannot afford to buy the above expensive brands of suspicious (to me) brown rice.[/FONT]

2. Durgapriye

Durgapriye Senior IL'ite

:thumbsup
    Yes brown rice are expensive but you can go for parboiled rice instead which are also nutritious.

3. vennelaaaa

vennelaaaa Bronze IL'ite

Hi Jasbir
    If the brown rice is costly, it means it is too polished...it won't be fibrous!
    so don't go for it.
    Try getting brown rice from a local rice merchant. They will have the not-too-polished version...
    it should cost around 22 to 28 rupees per kg.

4. aswini

aswini Senior IL'ite

I am not in India but whenever I buy brown rice here I always check the nutrition label ( I do that for everything :) ) Check for the fiber content. I think it should be 2g per 1/4 cup ( you can get the correct values online).

I get instant brown rice rice here. When I cook it, it doesn't come out like usual brown rice.It comes very soft like white rice. I checked the nutrition label and it had the same fiber content as the regular brown rice. As long as the fiber is intact I wouldn't bother.

5. canreachus

canreachus Senior IL'ite

hi,

i also use brown rice, but it doesn't taste like normal white rice and it gets dry while cooking so kids don't prefer to eat that, does anyone has idea how to cook it properly??

6. sssaustin

sssaustin Senior IL'ite

Aswini

//I get instant brown rice rice here//

may I know which brand? Becos I have been quite unsuccessful in cooking the Brown rice...cos it always turns out to be mushy or undercooked.I'm buying frozen..but would like to try the instant too...

7. stevebutler44

stevebutler44 New IL'ite

Well, I am currently use basmati rice . Which is really delicious and also nasty. We know that Brown rice is really useful for maintain the cholesterol . I have made s many recipe using this rice. I wish that I will disclose them at this place as soon as.

8. shivanithakur

shivanithakur Silver IL'ite

Dear All,

I also use brown rice of Dawan brand & it costs Rs.90/- per kg. It comes in jar. I use 1 bowl of rice, 2 bowl of vegs. like beans, peas, potatoes, cauliflower. I cook it as pulao by using jeera, onion & tomato. Kids like that way.

Try it.
    Regards/ Shivani

9. Durgapriye

Durgapriye Senior IL'ite

I think you got wrong info polished rice doesnt have any nutrient all the nutrients from brown rice gets collected by mill owners and they sell it to pharmceutical companies who in turn uses it to churn out vitamin pills. Hence by selling polished rice mill owners make more money by rice buyer and by pharma. If they sell brown rice they wuill lose income from pharma so they sell it at higher price for those who know the nutient lose info.

Also I think the nutrition info on pack are reliable in India.

10. Prema

Prema New IL'ite

Hi.... I cook brown rice almost everyday. Definitely its rich in fibre...so good for pre-menopausal women and really keeps diabetes under control. It takes longer time to cook than the usual white rice - 1 cup b.rice- 2 cups water either you cook in a pressure cooker or a electric rice cooker. But I prefer to cook in open bowl and drain the startch water. ( put water to boil and add rice when the water starts boiling.... check whether the grain is cooked properly or not and drain the startch.