Elevated Prolactin Levels and Trying to Conceive!

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by Relentlessly, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Relentlessly

Relentlessly New IL'ite

hi all,

was wondering if anyone can shed light on having elevated prolactin levels (7-10times normal) and pregnancy. i have been diagnosed with mild pco, but all other parameters are normal. ( besides i have been suffering from irregular cycle randing from 30 to 40 days for a year).
    my husband and i have been trying, but its not working so far....

from what i read online its impossible to get preggers with such high levels, but wanted a first hand opinion. i am consulting 2 doctors who seem to have different opinions.

please share

2. rajalakshmigopal

rajalakshmigopal Gold IL'ite

Hi,

Prolactin levels do cause some disturbance in cycle and also disturbs hormonal levels which in turn initiates PCO and I can say all are inter related.

Prolactin levels do play a major role in achieving and sustaining pregnancy,but it is not the only factor.I have seen people get pregnant with elevated/decreased prolactin levels.Proper medication will help to maintain Prolactin at the desired levels.

Good Luck!

3. saras123

saras123 IL Hall of Fame

Dear

High prolactin level is one of the common causes of infertility.
    But this is no major concern to worry as taking medication regularly will keep the levels under control. Please follow ur doctor's advice regarding this.
    and i know many who have conceived after taking medicines.

All the best.:thumbsup

Warm Regards:)
    Saras

4. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I too had high Prolactin levels when i went for diagnosis for the very first time. With medication, it is under control. Just follow your doc advice & take up the tablets regularly without fail.

Baby dust to you.

5. meetumeetu

meetumeetu New IL'ite

Prolactin range!!!

Hey All,

My CD 3 tests showed that i have a prolactin level of 26.5.But my doctor said that these levels were okay ( cos the lab range was till 30).I ovulate and have periods without medications .I went in for a test cos my period length changed and she told that i migh have mild PCOS.

Do i need to ask my dotor for medications to bring the prolactin level down?

6. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

Re: Prolactin range!!!

If your periods are normal and occuring on a regular basis then there is no need to take medications. Concentrate on eating healthy (less carbs, more protein) and excercising regularly which will decrease your period length and reduce any pcos symptoms as well.

In a few months you can get your prolactin rechecked. If it is still high you can discuss further with your doctor.

7. meetumeetu

meetumeetu New IL'ite

Re: Prolactin range!!!

Thanks !!!

8. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

Should I take medication for Prolactin levels of 22? My doctor has given Cabergoline .25 to be taken once every week. I read many posts wherein Prolactin levels come down very quickly with medication. So is 22 high enough fort medications? Or can I take the medicine once in 2 weeks ?

I do have mild PCOS and AMH values of 6.38.

9. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

That dose of cabergolin with once a week is a lower dose. Go with the doc advice. They are right judge on medication and dosage.
    I think your prolactin level is close to higher limit. Repeating the test in a month or 2 might reveal the tablet effect.
    All the best.