1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Please Help !!!!! advice needed on visiting a doctor

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by ruchakarve24, Jan 11, 2011.

1. ruchakarve24

ruchakarve24 New IL'ite

Hi,
    NOw i was in India since may 2010 and came back on 31st Sep.
    My health insurance started on 1 october.
    While I was in India I went to a gynac because we are planning to have a child.
    So dr said I have PCOD and my husband reports are normal.
    So doc has out me on metformin and asked me to start contraceptive for 6 months though my periods were normal i mean every month.
    Now i am getting very paraniod if I am ovulationg or no and all that
    My question is
    1)If i go to gynac here will she consider this case as a pre condition and my insurance will not cover it ?
    2)I want to go to gynac and want it to be covered by my insurance ...I have no medical resords in USA... imean i have never seen any doctor.
    PLease advice what should I do...Will a desi doctor understand and not tell insurance that it is a precondition.
    I have to visit gynac coz I am planning to start family?
    Please advice

2. ManuuRaghuu

ManuuRaghuu Senior IL'ite

Hi ruchakarve24,

Every insurance company is different.They ultimately decide whether to cover or not.I was in the same situation and i was covered.I hope and wish that you will also be covered.:) So don't worry!

Regards,
    ManuuRaghuu

3. ruchakarve24

ruchakarve24 New IL'ite

Hi Mannu Raghu,
    I have atena.Did u have tht ...could you please tell me ...wht did you tell the doctor?
    If you dont mind would you share that with me

4. reverie

reverie New IL'ite

Hi ruchakarve24,

If the condition is not life-threatening and if you were not under a medication that would interfere with the US Doctor's prescription and if it would save you a lot of money,it would be OK to hide the fact that you had seen a doctor before.

5. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

I totally agree with Reverie!

Schedule for a annual pap smear check and tell the doc here that you're ttc and would like to have a complete check up. They will do all the required tests and figure out if pcod exists and how to treat it. But do not mix up medicines, that is, if the doctor here prescribes something else, do not continue the bcp or any other medicines prescribed in India. Most insurance plans cover gyn tests but the copay and coinsurance might vary between plans. Logon to your insurance website or call up and check the copay and coinsurance terms for gyn tests.
    If they need to do an expensive test like ultrasound or something, you can ask your doctor's office for the Diagnosis/Procedure code and call up your insurance and ask them if they cover the same and how much would be covered, that way you can be sure about how much you might have to pay.
    Also, most important, make sure you choose a doctor who is within the insurance network or network preferred provider(who usually provide their services at a discounted rate for specific insurance patients)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  6. bittenkitten

bittenkitten Senior IL'ite

Complete agree with navs23. Remember that insurance always assumes that a woman will have a full GYN exam every year. You can tell your doctor that you're on birth control: that in and of itself isn't a pre-existing condition. You don't need to tell him/her WHY you're on birth control. Most doctors are very, very good about helping you to work with your insurance plan, so be as honest as you feel that you can be, and you'll be fine. Good luck!