1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Please help...........Confused about water for formula preparation in India

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by rashi2481, Jan 9, 2011.

1. rashi2481

rashi2481 New IL'ite

Hi all,

I am all confused about water for formula preparation in India.I was thinking of using mineral water like Bisleri or something.But i read on this forum that these bottled water are not safe.Should i use bottled water or normal tap water and boil it or boil mineral water??????
    I am totally confused.......Please help ladies.....

Thanks in advance

2. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I think you should boil any water you are going to use for your baby. You also need to know the type of water that is in the area where you are staying. Some areas in India have excess flouride in the water naturally and drinking this in children will ruin the formation of their teeth. In those areas bottled water are mandatory.

The system that my friend in Delhi used was in the morning to boil a pot of water well and then keep it in one of those Chinses 12 hours flasks. During the day she would put the formula powder in the baby bottle, pour in the hot water, shake it up well, and if it was too hot put it in a pan of cold water until the temp was right. This method worked well for her.

3. rashi2481

rashi2481 New IL'ite

Thanks a lot for your reply.I think i will do bottled water but still boil it.

4. nehausa

nehausa Senior IL'ite

i used aquafina boil it when luke warm fill in flask no
    problem in water that way..kids dont drink mucch water
    and it is cheap i also carried few poland spring from here
    for few days maybe like 6 bottles small ones..
    to be more safe.

5. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

My Il's had take a brita water pitcher back to India the last time they visited. So we used to boil the tap water, strain it and then filter it through the brita pitcher. that worked really well for us.

6. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

But why do you have to boil mineral water? Is the mineral water also contaminated like the tap water!? That'd be terrible! I did not think it would be, but this is worrying to read here.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  7. rashi2481

rashi2481 New IL'ite

That's what I though too that I don't need to boil mineral water but got worried after reading the posts.Some people think its fine to give mineral water but some say boil that too.I will be gone for 3 months so can't carry water from here and my baby is exclusively formula fed....

8. nehausa

nehausa Senior IL'ite

My pediatritian told me to boil mineral water and then give it coz some brands like bisleri have
    some controversies..secondly if you dont boil it be ready for tonz of diapers for stomach
    will 100% be disturbed....
    i took poland spring to be safe and when jetleg was done i bought aquafina.

spiderman for adults no need to boil aquafina but for infants be safe then sorry..
    (i didnt give flight water to my infant)

tc

9. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

In india, sometimes it is hard to distinguish between genuine and fake packaged water .. since we are dealing with kids here, it's better to be safe than sorry!

10. soumya234

soumya234 Platinum IL'ite