The Communication Process

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by prathi, Mar 8, 2006.

1. prathi

prathi Bronze IL'ite

A Short Example of Effective Communication

Example:

Maria: My project coordinator, Judy, is in a slump; she's just not producing her usual caliber of work. I need to find out what the problem is.

On the surface, it would seem that getting good information is easy. But like other forms of communication, it takes planning and experience to develop skills in this area Key Techniques

Focus the discussion on the information needed
    Judy, I've noticed in the past month that you've fallen behind on keeping the project schedule current. I'd like to figure out with you what we both can do to get it back on track.

Use open-ended questions to expand the discussion
    You've always kept the schedule up to the minute-until about a month ago. Why the change?

Use closed ended questions to prompt for specifics "
    What projects are you working on that take time away from your work on this project (warning: closed ended questions are often disguised as open ended as in "Are you going to have trouble finishing this project?)

Encourage dialogue through eye contact and expression
    This involves nodding in agreeemnt, smiling, leaning toward the speaker, making statements that acknowledge the speaker is being heard.

State your understanding of what you are hearing
    This can be done by restating briefly what the other person is saying but don't make fun of it

"So it sounds like these phone calls have ended up taking a lot more time than you or Jay expected; you think the three of us should talk about priorities; is this your position?"

Summarize the key points;
    try to get some agreement on the next steps and show appreciation for the effort made so far. "So let's call Jay right now and set up a time when we can meet and iron this out; keeping the schedule updated is a high priority and I'd like to get this settled by Wednesday.

2. prathi

prathi Bronze IL'ite

Seven C's fo effective "managerial" communication.

From our management lessons we have all learnt many "C's" which help us in various branches of management. The following are the seven "C's" of effective managerial communication.So far, my posts have been regarding communication within an organisation. Still, most of those contexts are applicable to the daily lives of laymen. Likewise, though the seven C's are extensively applicable for the managerial personnel, I am sure the points can be adapted by all, based on the context of communication process they are involved in. Even communicating with our kids needs to be effective to make the expected impact. Especially the principles of Consistency and Context can be well adapted to such a scenario involving communication with our kids or even family members.[font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]

1.Credibility: When communicating with employees or others, your audience must be willing to believe you. Repetitive mistakes or factual errors in trying to persuade or inform others will cause listeners to eventually question everything you say.

2. Context: You must back up your words with action and lead by example. "Do as I say but not as I do" doesn't sit well with your subordinates. Employees will defy policy statements that are consistently ignored or abused by leaders.

3. Content: Managers should not assume that their audience is aware of the significance or importance of a message. Explain why it is significant. How does compliance with a stated initiative impact your organization's bottom line?

4. Continuity: A fundamental rule of communication is that messages be passed along through at least three channels to be effective. Repetition contributes to understanding, retention, learning and acceptance.

5. Consistency: Repetition with slight variation is necessary, but you must keep the facts and the story consistent with each communication. If facts change, credibility will deteriorate.

6. Channels: Communication in today's technological environment has the potential to be more successful than at any previous time. Your messages can travel via e-mail, newsletters and memos. The challenge is understanding that some channels have different effects on different audiences.

7. Clarity: Put the message in simple terms. Words must mean nearly the same thing to all involved. Introduce complex issues with simplicity and clarity.

[/font]

3. safa

safa Bronze IL'ite

essential for life..

dear Prathi,

All the lessons you post here are essential for life. I would like to understand more from you.

thank you,

4. prathi

prathi Bronze IL'ite

Hello Safa!

Dear Safa,

Thanks for your kind words. Knowledge is an ocean. What we have fathomed is never enough!

Thanks once again!

5. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

no wonder you are good at it...

Dear Prathi,

It was nice going thru this thread.
    reminded me of orientation classes that I used to attend in the past.
    along with so much info on the company, we were exposed to such topics like communication, case studies, etc - used to be interactive & gives a chance to meet all the employees; from chiefs to managers to officers in one place - used to be fun tooo.

6. prathi

prathi Bronze IL'ite

Thanks!

Dear meena,

Thanks for ur nice words! I had a paper of communication while i was doing my masters. The lecturer who used to teach was so good at it, that when i sat to write the exam the answers used to flow, not by the memory of what i had studied but by his words. I could visualise him and hear his words and then i would continue with my answers. What better example can we cite for effective communication!

I am glad that my post rekindled some good memories for u!

7. smith21181

smith21181 Senior IL'ite

Hi Prathi,

This is really very nice topic, & the way of ur presentation is very good.
    But I want some more information on it.Could u plz suggest me daily exercise which I need to do to improve my communication skills,Is there any website to improve ur speakon english as well as good communication skills.I think ,u will not improve ur communication in very short period of time,u need to practice it regularly. So which task I need to follow regularly so that I will improve my communication.

thanks,
    smith21181

8. rose04

rose04 New IL'ite

Hey all,

I feel very miserable, i screwed it......... i went to the second round of interview and they asked me if i am flexible with the late timings , for which i bet around the bush ( i have a small baby ) i told them that . Now they are thinking about giving the job..........

I desperately need some job to start my career .......... i feel so bad ......

I don't have the confidence at alllllll......... i don't know what to do, can anybody help me.