1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

MIL prob again :-(

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by kenny, Dec 27, 2010.

1. kenny

kenny Bronze IL'ite

hello ladies...
    im just very much irritated and fed up because of my MIL's behaviour...no matter how much i try to avoid her but living in the same house sucks...she is just so irritating...
    i have already been talking to u guys...and u keep giving me good advices...u also tell me to ignore her...but u tell me...how to handle it...all in blue she stops speaking...wont even utter a word...and that happens all the time...suddenly she will be normal when it is her wish..and wil talk normally..i have my own consultancy and have to go home for 3 hours at lunch...i dont mind her behaviour in the morning as im busy with my daily chores...then i go to my office and again have to go for 3-4 hrs in the eve.Only thing what bugs is she will open the door when i come home for lunch and and wont even utter a word...no hi no hello...will lie down on the couch ...in the same room as im sitting and keep reading the newspapers and watch tv...
    i dont understand what her prob in life is...at night when her son comes then she will be all around him...and keep talking to him and not leaving him..
    i feel like fighting with her and asking what her prob is...why does she have a long face always with me and wont utter a word but dont to avoid unncesesary chaos at home......im not a maid over here where i do all the work and still get such cold behaviour...most of the times i try to avoid but some times it gets on your nerves...u feel really upset about it...i dont tell dh about this bcoz im sue he wll not believ and only find faults at me...how to handle this ...any suggesions...or i have to live with it...though i have spoken to her many a times that if she has a prob then tell me ...im not a person who can imagine things...but...in vain...:-(....any help??

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010

2. ars

ars Platinum IL'ite

Just ignore her lunch time drama. Don't stay in the same room as she is. Eat your lunch say you have a head ache or something to do and go take apower nap before you have to get back to work.
    The trick is don't show her you are hurt by her behavior. If you show or confront do you think she will stop doing it no way she will do more of it to make you angrier.
    Also, let her run around her son and do everything ignore less work for you.
    I know it hurts that you are being treated as an outsider. Develop a thick skin. These type of people will not change. They will argue they are right and never treat to you like that. So give back her own medicine you turn cold even before she does and speak only when she speaks.

3. YingYang

YingYang Senior IL'ite

4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi Kenny,

It's a shame that certain women are genetically unable to treat other women well (especially when she has left her home and family to be with them and to look after them and serve them). But there you are! That is how the world is! Have you heard it said that "women are womens' worst enemies"? Unfortunately that is true of a large number of mil-dil relationships.

I know fully well how difficult it is to ignore such behaviour (have faced it personally). Just get on with your own jobs at home and behave as if she does not exist. Try keeping any interaction to a minimum (monosyllabic replies) - even if she tries to ask or say anything (I am sure she will need to communicate with you sometime or the other). Or just ask something like "did you say something to me" as though you do not expect to talk to you at all. If she gets this treatment for a few times, she might get the message loud and clear and try to behave better.

I know that it is not very pleasant to behave like this as our upbringing trains us to be polite and respectful to others. But if others do not treat us as human beings, complaining to them or stewing inwardly over it will not change matters. They will deny outright that they are doing anything wrong. Only when faced with the same kind of behaviour as their own will they realize that they need to change to more positive ways. Once that goal is accomplished, one can set about trying to build a working relationship at first, followed hopefully with a positive relationship.

Wish you good luck.
    Swati

5. rr99

rr99 Senior IL'ite

My MIL belongs to that saem NUTJOB category, acts like everyone should be her puppet.. The way i managed when she arrived this time was to give her food/coffee whenever she needed it, pop in a Movie DVD after lunch & Took off to the mall, leaving her to herself, if there is no one around then she cant pu on her 'natak baazi', & of course she does not want to come across as a bad person in front of her son, so she has to bear the additional grin & bear it routine. Time your chores so that you spend the minimum amt of time around her, & if she behaves well for an extended period, (determined by you) treat her to a cappuchino.. Hate to say it, but kinda like training a wayward pet animal!

6. sanjeevni

sanjeevni Senior IL'ite

Hey Girl -

Take your lunch box to work.

IGNORE - :whistle

Come on - you show you are affected and she continues her antics. JustChillout!

and she will go :crazy.

That's the best medicine :rotfl

7. nishatw

nishatw Senior IL'ite

Hi kenny, i think u should just avoid it since ur mil is not creating any big issues for u. some mil bitches abt dil to their sons or directly attack the dils with verbal abuse and sarcasm. ur mil is better compared to all those daredevils. if it's getting too far then why don't u ask ur mil in a gentle way whether she's upset or not feeling well so that she gets a hint that u r noticing it. but if ur mil does it on purpose to hurt u she'll be happy that u noticed so u have to deal with both sides. never complain to ur husband since most of the husbands dont accept their moms' faults. u do ur work and ignore her cold behaviour. sometimes if u dont feel like doing any work at home like cooking or cleaning just dont do and tell that u r not feeling well.they cant blame u for that since u r not an unpaid house maid who's doing free service. u can ask ur husband to take food from outside in such situations. to live with in-laws we have to be good actors also at times

8. kenny

kenny Bronze IL'ite

hey guys...not that i respond to her...as u guys are suggesting...i already dont react at all...if she is behaving in such a cold way...i myself dont speak to her AT ALL...im not a fool who would always initiate the talk..enough of that now...but though im showing that im not affected by her behaviour...deep within i feel really upset that where have i got stuck..
    why on earth people marry when there are so many problems after marriage...sigh:hide:
    u r such a free bird earlier....
    anyways..what i was saying that it is just that every day seeing the same story kind of really bugs me that what life is this...drama at home too...u cant be ur real self at home too...:spin
    but thats what is mil-dil story...@yingyang...that sony noise cancelling mp3 was a v gud one..he he...:rotfl....waht fun...but in my case my mil is already in mute mode...and if she speaks is only sarcastic comments...thats all...:bonk

9. tulipzz

tulipzz Platinum IL'ite

Give her the taste of her own medicine. Be nice and good to her when DH is around and make faces and COMPLETELY ignore when DH is not around.

. And you know what, MIL wins if you react to her behaviour. Act as though there is no one in the house. COMPLETELY ignore her presence...see how things work then.

1 person likes this.
  10. kenny

kenny Bronze IL'ite

hey satchi...
    i njoyed reading ur post...giving her back what she does was a good one.....wish life was so easy to handle...and i feel females living in a nuclear set up are so fortunate...at least if they have fights they have genuine fights...of a couple...here all the fights are because of the monster in law.....God know how she just simple enjoys it....i just dont feel like lving here...feel like leaving the son-mom duo all by thereself.....i cant tell u what drama goes on....
    if at all we 2 go out occasionally alone(not taking her along)she will throw such tantrums....and God know why the son cant stand up n tell her...''whats wrong cant the two of us go out''...she will stop speaking to me only again....lie down in her room next day and call her son...and son will keep dancing to her tunes...sit next to her....and God know what she brainwashes ,...taht i can see though his beaviour...that his otherwise funny mood changes...and he becomes very rude and quiet on me too....will be with his mom and talk less to me too...though will not say anything but as they say actions speak louder than words....
    huh...enough is enough...when is all this drama going to end....how to overcome it....
    :bonk:bonk:drowning:drowning:spin:spin
    Why dont such momma's boys apply their brains...i doubt how they manage in office in such senior positions....if at home they cant handle such things...
    its only upto the man ...how his mom would think of his wife...if he makes her quiet when required by not listening any **** about his wife...even though being polite she cant go on with her dramas...ufff:spin...i wish there would be some site like indusmen where men would also go through such issues where they would also understand what pain the females undergo.....we are the ones with all the prob...they wont even bother to read articles like this too...we ladies haave all teh problems i feel...:drowning

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011