1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Admission process for schools in U.S for non citizens

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by ap149, Dec 27, 2010.

1. ap149

ap149 New IL'ite

Can anyone tell me about the admission process for an Indian citizen child to U.S. public schools as well as private schools? Is the process tough because he/she is not a U.S. citizen?

What are the documents to be provided at the time of admission?
    The child does not have a ssn.

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

As far as I know, there are no procedures. If you come to the school district in the middle of school year, you just will have to approach them and may be fill out a form or two and your child will be in - unless the child is moving from India, all the documents will be transferred automatically. The best way is to look up the site and contact the school districts central office and they will provide you all the information.

3. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Ap149, to add to what Srama said, public schools in US are run by "school districts". They will set admission criteria etc. Generally admission criteria are related to age and location (children residing in a particular area will go to a certain school etc).

So find out what is the school district for your area and contact them. They will provide all the information.

As far as I know private schools also should not show any difference based on his citizenship - however, be aware that private schools can be pricey while public schooling is free.

For public school you may have to provide proof of residing in the area such as a rental agreement/lease deed, mortgage statement etc. In addition, birth certificate to prove age as well as parents identity may be asked for.