1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

All about Schooling in US

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by pebblebeach, Feb 27, 2010.

1. pebblebeach

pebblebeach Senior IL'ite

Hi all,
    My daughter is 11/2 year old. And I would like to know all about schooling in US. Like till what age the kids in US go to day care and at what age does the schooling start, how to choose the school (I heard that the schools here has some ratings) so please tell me how to know the ratings of schools, how to apply and when(at what age) should we apply for a seat, what is the fee in public schools and private schools etc etc..

So please let me know as many details as possible about the schooling in US. It would help many moms like me who are new to US or new to schooling concept in US.

Thanks a lot

2. moonriver

moonriver Junior IL'ite

I'm pretty sure there must be threads covering this info in detail elsewhere.

1) Kindergarteners should be 5 years old. The cut off is either September or December or maybe another month, depending on the state. I believe CA is Dec 1st.

2) You go to the schools based on where you live. Check out greatschools.net for ratings. You should be able to search by zipcode, I think and you can also visit the school district website. I think going to the CA/Bay Area forums here would give you a better idea. Usually, you can register in Jan/Feb for that year. It's not a rat race, at least where I live.

3) Schooling is not mandatory until Kindergarten. You have different options till then. Daycare, private pre-schools, pre-schools by the park district or YMCA or you can just keep your kid at home and give exposure using libraries, play groups and so on.

4) Private schools are expensive. Public schools have a very nominal fee. The funding usually comes from grants and the taxes.

3. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

4. ap149

ap149 New IL'ite

Can anyone tell me about the admission process for an Indian citizen child to U.S. public schools as well as private schools? Is the process tough because he/she is not a U.S. citizen?

What are the documents to be provided at the time of admission?
    The child does not have a ssn.

5. revs77

revs77 Gold IL'ite

ap149,

The process is not tough for non-US citizens. If the child and child's parents have valid visa, there is no need to worry. Apply for SSN soon. Why are you waiting? You will get SSN in 2-3 weeks.

Some of the documents schools ask for:
    Child's birth certificate or passport
    Parent's passport
    Driver license
    Utility bill
    Rental agreement or propert tax bill (if you own a house)

Admission procedure is easy in private schools, all they need is proof of $$ for paying tuition for the whole year.