Support Group Incompetent cervix

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by madhu99, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Madhu and friends,

I can fully empathise with all the moms here who face an incompetent cervix. I have a baby boy who turns one today on Christmas Day. When I was in my third month, my gyne diagnosed an incompetent cervix. I was facing sudden miscarriage any moment. Within a week, they performed a cervical encerclage on me. Since my case was not severe, I was put on bed rest with feet up by three inches. Was asked to avoid all hard physical activity, stress on lower part of body etc. I delivered after 39 weeks (full term), needed a Csection. Inspite of other hiccups like gestational hypertension and diabetes after week 32, my baby was delivered safe and all is well.

I just want all of you to know that incompetent cervix, if diagnosed early enough is not an impediment to safe delivery. The procedure by itself is not complicated, it takes less than 15 minutes. Is usually done under spinal anaesthesia. The head of the cervix is sutured to hold the baby in. Post operative pain is minimum, I did not even feel anything. You will need total bedrest for 48 hours after the procedure, and hospitals usually discharge in three days.

I must say that after the procedure, I felt very confident. It is an extra barrier to preterm delivery and one just has to watch out for signs of early, npredicted labour.

In my case, the threat was not serious. However, I have seen women with severe conditions in my clinic. One lady had a fully open cervix on 30 weeks, she has to lie down with feet raised three feet. Even she delivered safe. Another lady had an encerclage in week 29, and then delivered twins.

Usually the stitches will be removed a couple of days before delivery to facilitate normal delivery. If for other reasons, C section is mandated, then stitches will be removed after baby is delivered.

Incompetent cervix if diagnosed in the third month and corrected before damage occurs around month 4, is not a threat. I know that it is gruelling to undergo any surgical procedure during pergnancy, but dont let this deter you.

Lots of support and hugs to all of you out there from one who has been throuh this, and come out on the other side with a bonny baby in hand. And I am sure, all of you will deliver safe and sound.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
    Swetha2017, ssm014 and meenambika like this.
  2. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

HI Tulsi,
    Very sorry about your loss! Hugs to you!
    Don't loose hope. Be positive.
    Speak with your gyenc & get complete support the next time!
    Take care of yourself!

3. tulsi2010

tulsi2010 New IL'ite

@ Vasumathi : Thanks a lot for your reply.. trying to gather my confidence..

4. vandannav

vandannav Senior IL'ite

Hey ,I had to face tough time due to IC,now we are blessed with
    baby girl,they put the stitch and i made myself very sure to
    take complete bed rest and yes GOD blessed us and
    made everything perfect.

I had to really really do research
    (as we know no pregnancy for the same person is same and
    every persons body and pregnancy is different)

It seems hard but trust me ,not at all difficult,with
    good planing and mental strength it is very much possible,
    and always pray to GOD.

I had lost not one or two in the past,well i really do not
    want to go in past, I only know what it is to go through such pain.

But girls out there with IC , do not loose heart,
    the cervical stitch is indeed a blessing.
    But make sure you consult the high risk Obst.

Regards

5. waiting4miracle

waiting4miracle New IL'ite

Thanks Madhavi for this thread. I have an incompetent cervix too. Lost my baby boy at 24 weeks in Aug 2010. My case was rather unique in the sense that I was on bed rest since 7 weeks due to a clot near the placenta but my cervix was closed. I had a thorough check at 20 weeks, developed yeast infection in 21 weeks. Some spotting in 22 weeks, went to the ER and though I thought it was my mucous plug the doctor on duty dismissed it as an yeast infection and said my cervix was closed. Travelled from Mumbai to Delhi, went for an u/s to make sure everythg was ok. It showed all was well. Next day went to see a doctor and she said my membranes were bulging and the sac had considerably come down ( all in a matter of a week). Was hospitalised and put on COMPLETE bed rest but water bag broke after a week and baby was delivered but cud not survive.
    Post delivery doctor conducted an HSG which showed that my cervix is still wide open making me prone to a difficult delivery as and when I get pregnant again. I will also be given a cerclage at 12 weeks due to this and put on complete bed rest for entire 7 months bec thats all how much the doc expects me to last. SO I am surely going to have a preemie wen I do. IC scares me but I hope I can beat it and get my miracle soon.

6. vandannav

vandannav Senior IL'ite

Hi waiting4miracle

why don't consult high risk Obst.They can
    answer your questions in more depth , if any and
    they will also analyze the past case too.
    you can ask for some precautions as well.

P.S: I am telling just basing on my experience.

After the second loss my GYN suggested me to see
    high risk Obst first and they suggested the name as well.

regards

7. vaali

vaali Senior IL'ite

Well, since i dint see any recent threads on CI i thought i should start a new one & shared my present story in a new thread.. but its been 4 days now & i haven't gotten any response yet. So im posting here again.
    I had a miscarriage @ 18 weeks in my last pregnancy which happened in oct 2010, suspected due to TORCH infection though unproven but we know the reason for it now. With a bit of struggle conceived again this april & everything was cool til 16 weeks during which my scan showed a cervical length of 4.1cms. When i went fo my anomaly scan by 22 weeks which fell n last week of sept, the radiologist was shocked to see a 3mm cervical length[​IMG] & since my OBGY clinic has n in house scan she was informed asap & emergency encerclage was done in couple of hrs. Put on bed rest since then & my 23rd week followup scan showed 1.1cms[​IMG]. Though not good enough to feel relieved it is atleast better than a 3mm long cervix. Next followup by18th oct.. & keeping my fingers crossed for my cervix to pick up in its length & staying tied to bed as much as i can. Anybody else out there with CI during current or previous pregnancies? looking for some good hearts to share with & to gain some confidence to carry on with this precious lil bean kicking inside[​IMG]. ​

8. nkapoorny

nkapoorny New IL'ite

hey madhu,
    I'm so sorry to hear about your previous ordeals. I don't know if you are still looking for household help, but my sister lives in downtown chicago and is looking for a job in childcare, cooking (north indian known, but willing to learn and try others as well) or any other household help needed. She speaks english and hindi and has many years of household help experience and has lived locally for over 20 years. Please let me know if we can help. Thanks.

9. meenambika

meenambika New IL'ite

Hai Madhu

U got any reply for your query regarding incompetent cervix. Becoz even i have the same problem, i lost my twin boys during 6th month start becoz of this. Second pregnancy happened 6 months later first one and again due to failed cardiac activity it was a loss.. I m planning pregnancy again now, so want to get some info regaring Incompetent cervix. Pls give me ur email id.. or do email me. Thanks !!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2012
  10. meenambika

meenambika New IL'ite

Hai Vidya,

Tku very much for ur post.. i have some doubts regarding IC, as i have the same problem and i had two pregnancy loss .. Can u pls email me or give me ur email id.I want some clarification . It wud be of very much help, if u mail me.. I m searching for friends who have IC , pls do mail me. Tks again !!