1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

H4 Wife - Things to do?

Discussion in 'H4 Indian Ladies' started by shakila, Jun 8, 2005.

1. sonal

sonal Junior IL'ite

Masters degree are exempt from H1B Quota restrictions

Btw, I learnt that if an individual has masters degree from the US, their H1B is not counted against the regular 65,000 quota. Their H1Bs are part of a separate higher education H1B quota and that separate quota never runs out. This indicates that if we do a masters degree in the US, we can virtually avoid the issues that I discussed above. The H1B quota is always available for the masters degree holders. Just sharing what little I know.

Sonal

2. vani

vani Junior IL'ite

Think about getting hooked to Yoga or meditation

Of all the alternatives we know, Yoga is proved to slow the symptoms of ageing and promotes longevity. Folks get addicted to Yoga once they practice Yoga for a few weeks and start seeing the benefits of it. The first few weeks are critical to get hooked.

If you are terribly bored now, start doing Yoga on your own (or go to classes) for a few weeks. After a initial few weeks, you will get hooked. Then, even after you begin working, you will continue with Yoga and keep Yoga for life!

Vani

3. sheetal

sheetal New IL'ite

Catering!

A few years back I was in the same boat and was utterly frustrated with the "boxed" feeling I had as a H4. I am going to share what a friend of mine in a similar situation ended up doing. She started catering Indian dinner focussed on

a. Groups of bachelors living together
    b. Families in which both Husband and wife work

I must say that she makes very good money doing this. The secret that she shared with me is that she focussed on the above two groups because this group had the scale and continuous demand to make catering very profitable. She avoids one-off requests as it consumes a lot of time for very little return. She also indicated to me that what sustains her is not just the money, but her passion for cooking and her long-term dream to start an Indian restaurant.

Just want to share this just in case it makes the light bulb go on for a few who are here!

Sheetal

Shonukli likes this.
  4. indira

indira Junior IL'ite

Enroll to study...so you can work!

Hi All,

If you were not thinking about pursuing higher studies, you might want to consider it because of the following reason. Students who are enrolled in a degree program can work upto 18 Hours/Week and earn money.

You can enroll in a one-year program that is of interest to you and work part-time. Once you get into a company on part-time basis, you have a better chance of working for them for more hours and getting paid the rest of the hours in cash. Not every company will agree to it, but once you start working, personal contact can help you manage that.

As Sonal has mentioned, once you finish your degree program you can then process your H1B without worrying about the quota limitation because you will then fall under a separate category for which the quota limits are never reached.

Something to think about as life as a H4 is pretty boring[​IMG]

Indira

5. bharthi

bharthi Junior IL'ite

Have a Pet!

This is not an idea for some one who wants to earn or productively utilize their time as a H4. If you are dead-bored as a H4 and wondering what else can your mind occupy - other than TV Serials - I thought this might be worth consideration.

In the US, you find that dogs are treated as close as a kid in many houses. There is something to be said about the emotional intimacy a pet can provide you. So, if you have never thought about this, you can start to have a pet. If not for anything else, atleast for finding out the emotional value of having a pet. Also, reading about pets and the unique way in which you train them for best behavior is an experience in itself.

As I said, this is not for someone who is looking to do something serious.

Bharthi

6. varshini

varshini New IL'ite

Rethink your timeframe to start a family!

Many couples who get married and come to the US have a mental idea of when they would like to start a family. Given that a kid could keep you plenty busy, it might not be an outrageous idea to rethink your planned timeframe for starting a family. The sooner you have kids the more time you will have in later life to do some things for your own besides child rearing. Hope I haven't confused an already confused group!

Varshini

1 person likes this.
  7. sensug

sensug New IL'ite

H4 Corner

Hi,

I am from utah. Even i was working in india and now in US for about 6 months struggling to vile away time since i am stuck with this H4 visa status. Why shdn't we all start and do something?

Any ideas !!

Anyone from utah??

8. sowmya

sowmya New IL'ite

all together we should do something

even i am also belonging to u r category with engineeing degree and the H4 visa. we all shoud do some thing yaar or else we will become lasy and overweight simply spending our presious time here being unwanted citizens (we don't have ssn no also)of us. cooking watching TV these are the main things for us to pass our time.
    if u get any idea tell me too yaar even i want to do some thing.
    thanku
    sowmya

9. swku_2000

swku_2000 New IL'ite

Hi Soumya,
    Where do u live? I stay in NJ. I will suggest u can go for a volunteer job. It will consume 2-3 hours of your daily time and you will achieve a sense of fullfillment.. one of the good sites to spot these jobs are www.volunteermatch.com.
    Try this out..

10. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Am new!!!

hi all

I am new to this site. only when i read this forum i cud able to understand that so many ladies in H4 are in the same situation like me eager to work or study.

its been 11mnths since i came here. i am in newyork.
    and currently i am hunting for job. got frustated of searching paid job(even though i know very well that i might not be offered one with this status...still !!!!!!!!! a hope,but didnt worked). people call me for interview and once they come to know that i m in H4 they dont turn up!!!!!!!!

at present i am looking for a volunteer job, i m basically a biochemist(masters degree)

also had an idea of doing MS, but i dont know how to proceed with it,like colleges/universities, courses etc.

so if anyone is in my field, kindly help me how u r trying for MS, also i saw some post where they have told that they are trying for MS. kindly furnish me details of it.

thanks in advance