1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Rice cooker stickiness

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by shubhasiddharth, Feb 5, 2010.

1. prishen

prishen Bronze IL'ite

Oh....Thank You.:)
    I heard that we can make in rice cooker and so tried in that..

Thanks,
    Priya

2. shubhasiddharth

shubhasiddharth Bronze IL'ite

Advitha
    Thanksa ton for the clarification.I hope to try it out soon.

Prishen
    Rice cooker is generally meant for kepping rice seperated..if you notice.Unlike what we cook in pressure cooker, the rice cooked in rice cooker is different- they are sturdy and seperated.So, I guess making pongal ina rice cooker with the consistency that it requires, is not possible.And also, how much ever water you add, the rice cooker is bound to absrob it all.

3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I have used a number of different rice cookers. What I have learned is this:

You get what you pay for. Get the most expensive Japanese brand that you can afford. I have a moderate (approx. $40) Panasonic nonstick and I like it. If you can afford Zojrushi, go for it. The cheap ones will stick or burn I don't care what you do. They also have a short life span.

If you are greasing the pan in desperation, you can also use the spray stuff (oil pan spray).

Try to use the size that is best for the quantity of rice that you cook. If you are making 2 cups of rice (finished quantity) you are more apt to have trouble in say a 10 cup rice cooker. If it is too small it may spit all over. Small quantities in bigger cookers are more apt to dry out on warm.

Be careful you are not using a very starchy or sticky rice variety.

4. mrudula

mrudula Senior IL'ite

i am using black and decker nonstick. after observing that the nonstick coating is coming off, i started cooking the rice in a steel vessel inside the rice cooker. now my rice is fluffly and nice:thumbsup. i just add some water in the bottom of the electric rice cooker and then put a steel vessel with rice and water in it (just the way u would cook in pressure cooker). but we need to check it and switch off the cooker once the rice is cooked. i mean we cannot just switch on and leave. but i like it this way.

5. socalgal

socalgal New IL'ite

Hi folks,
    Has any body tried Zojrushi rice cooker recently?

6. illusions28in

illusions28in New IL'ite

I faced the exact problem and thought indusladies might have a solution to this. This i why indusladies is a great place. All the strange situations that indian women face is right here with the solutions.

Thank you ladies. i will try out some of the solutions mentioned above. And most of all I now know that its not a problem with the cooker.

7. nehausa

nehausa Senior IL'ite

subbhasiddharth plz no appliances from walmart,,its bad quality buy from costco,bjs
    best quality,,5star ones..

8. reverie

reverie New IL'ite

Hey girls...One neat trick...soak the rice in water for a few of minutes before placing in on the cooker...

9. narmee_r

narmee_r Senior IL'ite

i too faced the same problem. if u have to add water & another vessel we better cook it in pressure cooker itself. or else we can cook in microwave itself. it also consumes the same time & same proportion of water, but no such issues. the rice comes nice soft & fluffy. all u need is a big microwaveable bowl. thats it. now i started using my pressure cooker or microwave. no rice cooker. but it is useful when u go for a trip. take ur rice cooker, raw rice & some puliyodharai thokku is enough. u also can carry microwave bowl. but it is very fragile. so there is a possibility to break. so to that extent rice cooker is the best option. i think. not for day to day life. u dont even need a room with kitchen. just a table & a power connection i s good enough to make rice.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  10. aparnanc

aparnanc Bronze IL'ite

I do the same thing. I wash the rice well and then soak it in the required quantity of water for atleast 10 minutes before cooking it in the rice cooker.

I also use the rice cooker to make nice pongal. The trick is to not rely on the initial amount of water that you pour for the rice/dal mixture. Add small quantities of water and mix it intermittently. It involves a little extra work but is totally worth it.