Migrating to Adealide;plz let me know some info

Discussion in 'Indians in Australia & NZ' started by sunikris, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Ratprat

Ratprat New IL'ite

Hi Aruna,

Thanks a lot for the info. BTW where do you live/stay in Adelaide?

We are landing there on 11 April 2010. We are planning to stay near city or within city, but as of now we dont have any accommodation arrangement. My husband spoke and wrote to a few Indian people, but everyone told him to give them a call once we arrive in Adelaide.

Waiting to land there and feel the heat. All is well and hoping that all will be well in a short time, but need to be prepared for the worst also. Again hoping that that day does not come - scarry thot.

Hope 2 c u in Adelaide some day.

Take care, bye.

Ratprat

2. soodshruti

soodshruti New IL'ite

Dear shyamalabala,
    I hope u have got a job. Sorry i could not be in touch with you as my sister got her visa for Australia and she landed in Melbourne on 4th April. I was initially denied visa but now i have got SIR Visa. I am the primary applicant and i was planning to move with my family by 15th May.
    Shyamalabal u have been a great help and a good advisor. I keep on reading what ever u write to my family and now they know that u are my source of info.
    I liked ur suggestion of staying alone. would like to know the rent u r paying and how can i fix one before coming. pl give me some info on job scenario. Pl provide me with the list of essentials i shld carry.
    looking fwd to hear from u.
    shruti

3. lazydesi

lazydesi Senior IL'ite

so, how are the things happening in Adelaide? is everything under control?

4. apeksha83

apeksha83 New IL'ite

Hi Indusladies,

I and my husband are coming to Adelaide on 5-Aug-2010. But the sad part is that we have no accomodation arrangement there. Can anybody from the forum can be of any help in this case ?????????

Regards
    Apeksha

5. sunny side

sunny side New IL'ite

Hi, hope all of you are doing well and happily settled. We visited Adelaide in march to validate our visa and will be moving on 12th Jan 2011. We are looking for accommodation on various sites. Real Estate, Property, Land and Homes for Sale, lease and rent - realestate.com.au is good but no luck yet. Any suggestions for temp accommodation or feedback of a house before we leave from here? Thank you! Mari

6. varasangam

varasangam New IL'ite

Hi Shymalabala,

Could you suggest some good suburbs in Adelaide, I have read the thread but would like to have more info. Also looking at making new friends as we may be moving some time early next year.

Appreciate your feedback.

Many thanks

Vara:)

7. niyukti

niyukti New IL'ite

Hi All,
    we are planning for applying for PR for Australia in coming months. I am doing my own research before landing there. Plz help me out to suggest the do & dont list to settle in Adelaide. My hubby is IT porfessional.
    Is this city the right place to settle for IT professional?
    My twins daughters of 4 yrs will get proper schooling there?
    I am tarot reader by profession. Can I settle my venture here?
    What are initial hiccups which we need to tke care?
    Plz suggest me the best possible way.

Regards,
    Poonam

8. chithrasathish

chithrasathish Senior IL'ite

Dear Shyamala,

We are presently based in UAE. My husband has got a job offer from a company in Adelaide through an Australian friend (working in that company) - for post of Electrical Engineer. We understand, that they may offering a salary around the $100k mark for the position and if the person was successful from overseas it would include visas and for the family to relocate to Adelaide, Australia. Annual air-ticket will have to be borne by us. Not much sure about Medical expenses.

He is having his UAE driving licence & have been driving for last 2 years...how about getting licence there...

We have 4+ years old Cute Little Princess, going to KG-1 (LKG) here..are there any indian schools there..how about standard of education & its costs?

Cost of living overall....any websites to check it....cost of living of our regular food items...transport etc..We understand that their office is in Rymill Park, Adelaide...is it within the city area? How much rent might be over there...

We are very much confused about even sending his CV / taking the offer because of fear - of huge cultural/climate change..with so much of difference. Our brought-up is quite orthodox - and hatred towards even eating Egg - with even the thought of Non-veg food being a strong No-No.

Are there temples...Indians over there...

Can you advice me very urgently, for us to think about the same....

Can we by any chance, chat over skype in the next 1 or 2 days.....

Chithra Sathish

9. shyamalabala

shyamalabala New IL'ite

Hi Chitra,

Nice to meet you thro' IL. Adelaide is a beautiful city. It is a mixed cultural life here. You can contact me on skype .....my id on skype is dabs1965. Can let me know what is the company's name your husband has got the offer.? I will not be able to comment on the salary offered by the company, but yes the area Rymill Park is within the city area. It is a lovely area. I would consider it a good offer if the company is going to pay for the visa charges. Your medical expenses depends on the kind of visa you get. You can check on the this site for more info on visas and conditions on each visas: http//www.immi.gov.au

In regards to driving licence, your husband will have to pass a theory test and a practical test, to prove his road compentency and then his overseas drivers licence will be converted to australian drivers licence. He should not have any problem if he is driving for the last 2 yrs as you said.

In regards to schools, I haven't seen/heard of anything called the Indian schools here. But yes, there are lots of Indian communities here who make sure their children learn their languages and cultures. All schools are equally good here. If you have money to splurge your child can go to private school, otherwise public school is equally good. The standard of education is same in both kinds of school. Your daughter is 4+ so you don't have to worry too much about her.
    In regards to rent and accommodations, just go thro' this site to have some idea : realestate.com.au The rent depends on the suburbs you want to live.
    You don't have to get scared to send the CV. The decision is always in your hands. Even if you get the job, and don't want to come here you can deny it. There is no cultural and climate shocks here. We have lots of Indians here and you do get vegetarian food here. You get lots of vegies and fruits here, buy and cook . There are some Indian temples here. I have friends from different communities here and have always had good relations with them.
    I do not know the time frame difference between adelaide and UAE, but still I encourage you to come on skype and talk to me for any help. I will keep my skype turned on for you today.

I hope this info has helped you. Waiting to hear from you. Take care,
    Bye.

10. shyamalabala

shyamalabala New IL'ite

Hi Niyukti,

I was away from IL for a long time , hence I could not reply to many posts. Where do you stand now? Did you get your visa and settled down in Austalia ? Is there anything I can help you with?

Regards