1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone needs Dental advice - Please post ur problems

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by hema_gladston, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Lavanya,

I am sorry for the late reply. I live in the US and there is a hugge time difference between us ! :) I dont know wether the reply is late. However, let me go ahead.

PFM and full ceramic are both ceramic.. except that.. PFM is PORCELAIN FACING METAL. Porcelain and ceramic are the same. PFM is where ceramic is placed on the front side and metal at the back. This way you save on cost. Simple.

Full ceramic is obviously the whole artificial set up being non-metal. So, if cost is the criteria for you, then simply go ahead with PFM. If done neatly, this should come a long way ! Best luck to your brother and sorry to hear about his accident. Hope he is better now. Take care.

2. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Dear Aruna,

Congrats on your pregnancy and hope all is well otherwise. :)

Firstly, I would ask you to avoid any treatment for now. I hope the Xray was taken with you wearing a lead jacket around you. I wouldnt allow a direct exposure t the Xrays when I am pregnant !! Since you are in the last trimester, it is advised not to go ahead with RCT or removal.

Tablets is a safe bet actually. THe anesthesia that is given sometimes can get a little weird to the pregnancy. Also, any stress now could also induce false labour and very rare cases, real labour too. But, then the latter is rarely found and has been published in few journals. So, just finsh up with your delivery and make sure you get the tooth treated or removed.

Now, about the tablets. Crocin is safe. But, since you have infection just Paracetamol ( Crocin ) wont work. So, you need to take antibiotics. There are few antibiotics which are very safe in pregnancy. I have prescribed them to many patients of mine who were pregnant. Infact, I had ear infection while I was pregnant early this year and I had to take antibiotics.. My son is a fine 6 month old now ! :) So, do not worry and get scared to take tablets when it is necessary. But, never do it without your doctor's consent. If you are not sure of the Dentist, you could call your Gynec and ask her for a mild antibiotic. That will quickly relieve you of the pain. You could also try biting on to a clove for the time being, but snce you are pregnant, there could be some gag. An antibiotic and crocin should ward off the pain. Dont worry not all antibiotics are unsafe. :) Else, pharmacy companies will not run isnt ?

Take care and have a safe and healthy labour.

3. LLavanya

LLavanya Gold IL'ite

Thanks for your kind reply. Doctor suggested to take Zerconia bridge and cost of it is 55 K. Is that ok? Please tell me. Doctor made teeth setups today and tomorrow he is going for temporary teeth.

4. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Sure thing, Lavanya. :) Zirconia crowns are higher in costs to what we discussed earlier..

Zirconia is ceramic material which is very tough and is metal free. They are very pleasant in appearance and is very natural. It doesnt chip off like PFM or full ceramic. It last long they say. Also, after a few years the gumline near the crown changes colour. With Zirconia it doesnt they claim. The other crowns are cemented onto the tooth, these are bonded, so doesnt come off easily.

Since you talked about expense, I thought you dont want anything other than PFM .. If you have the money, Zirconia is a good choice. But, even this can cause decay beneath tooth and that could lead to a failure..So, nothing is perfect and cannot be gauranteed forever ! :)

Did you check how much your Dentist charges for Implants ? That way, you dont disturb the neighbouring teeth to place the crown.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  5. ArunaRSanthosh

ArunaRSanthosh Platinum IL'ite

Dr.Preethi

Thank u so much for your advise.Congrats for ur baby!!
    Today I will consult my gynaec and use the antibiotics. Thank you so much for spending time and answering my query.

6. LLavanya

LLavanya Gold IL'ite

Thanks for your immediate response. We are going with Zerconia. Is there any special carings that we need to do to make it for more time.

7. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Nothing special. Just good oral hygiene to be maintained alongwith two visits per year to the Dentist. Best Luck.

8. jsrivenkat

jsrivenkat Silver IL'ite

Hello Dr.Preethi,
    My two wisdom tooth was removed last year successfully.I have a major issue with Impacted Tooth.Its hurting and my Dentist has prescribed anti-biotics.Surgical removal has been fixed on 24th Dec.There was side effect of nerve damage discussed.What's your advice as numbness can prolong to weeks.SHOULD I BE SCARED?No option but to remove as the horizontal growth is complete and pushing the other tooth!Thanks for your time.

9. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Dear Jsri,

Sometimes, the post-surgical effects are inevitable. The Dentist just keeps you informed. The tooth must be in close proximity to the nerve, that removal of it, during the procedure that is, can reach the nerve which could nip it a little. Permanent damage, is rare but can happen too.

Unfortunately, you have no option but to remove the tooth. Else, it can harm your bone, gums and the neighbouring teeth as well. So, you just need to swallow the post surgical results.

Now, if you ask me should you be scared, I would say, Yes. Please be. By that, you will be prepared for the sudden loss of sensation in that part. Also, it depends on the skill ofyour Dentist to minimise damage. So, it wouldnt be right on my part to say, Dont worry, Everything will be absolutely fine. :bonk.. So, you just show up for the surgery trusting your Dentist. Rest will be taken care of.

10. jsrivenkat

jsrivenkat Silver IL'ite

Good Morning D.Preethi,
    That was a quick reply to my Agony.The pressure in jaw line -left side is being felt.Well under control but the irritation has confirmed my determination to remove the offender!:hide:My Dr.adviced me on the same lines with no avenues to short cut,May or may not cause the side effect of numbness.Will that matter as against this torture and imagination of more damages to my well grown and perfetly allinged tooth!:)
    I am facing the procedure on 24th dec provided other factors don't interrupt the bravery.
    My daughter wants to know if this is "HEREDITARY",Genetic disorder.
    Will up date on my progress.....THANK YOU.