Moving to Norwich(Norfolk) in december with 2 year old- need tips and advice

Discussion in 'Indians in the UK' started by ma2jess, Nov 25, 2010.

1. ma2jess

ma2jess New IL'ite

Hi Ladies,
    My husband has been asked to go on-site to Norwich(Norfolk) from his company in Chennai this december and we together with him...

I would appreciate if you all can tell me as to how I should get prepared.

I heard that it is the peak of winter, So its been decided that my husband should go there first and pick the house(the company will be showing some 5 or6 houses) and then I should join him with our 2 year old.

1. Apart from the winter coats and sweaters what other type of clothing should I bring along?- esp.for my child. Where do I shop for winter coats for my child in chennai?

2. What type of shoes should I buy for us both and our kid? Any suggestion of shops for kids is welcome.

3. Should I bring spices(chilly powder, garam masala, etc) from here or are they available there? I guess we'll be stayin there for a minimum of 6 months.

Please help with other things I need to know too...

Thanks in advance.

2. Shilpak2303

Shilpak2303 Senior IL'ite

It sure it quite cold here now. However, I would suggest you not to do too much of winter clothing shopping in India. Just carry what you will need for a day or two. The remaining you should buy from here. There are quite a few cost effective options available, most superstores will stock good amount of winter clothing.

And the clothes you need for this kind of weather are best available here itself - Wellington shoes, double jackets etc.

If your husband is coming earliar, he might actually be able to pick up some stuff for your kid before you land.

What you can pick is body warmers / thermals.

You will get all sorts of masalas required for Indian cooking. Even the rarest ones. Ealing Road in Wembley Central is the place where you can get anything and everything for Indian Lifestyle.

3. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Hi ma2jess,

I agree with Shilpa. Just do the bare minimum shopping and you can buy lovely jackets and boots here.

I can't think of anything Indian that is not available in UK these days.:)

Don't worry you will find your way and have a great stay ahead :thumbsup

4. ma2jess

ma2jess New IL'ite

Loads of thanks, Sabitha and Shilpa. and yes i think i can get my husband to get her some coats as he is getting there ahead of us. Thanks again dearies!:kiss