1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Encourage reading for DD

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Sahmaara, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Sahmaara

Sahmaara Bronze IL'ite

DD turned 11 months a few days back. I have a board book at home about baby animals. I also borrowed a couple, for variety, from the library, and I often read/show them to DD. But, as soon as I start to open the book or turn pages, DD grabs it from me and shuts the book!!
    Is this normal? How can I encourage reading skills for my baby from the start? Any suggestions/ideas/tips?

2. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Moms,

same concern here.I bought a jumbo book of animals, ABC etc...She loves to see them on the computer, but once i open the book, she grabs and shuts it.

Waiting for suggestions.

3. Sahmaara

Sahmaara Bronze IL'ite

Hi Aishu, just noticed..our DDs are only a day apart!!

4. priya4prabhu

priya4prabhu Silver IL'ite

:hiya

Thats quite normal i guess.. I am showing my DS the board books from the 2nd month when he started to speak haa hoo and all..

First few days he did not learn to shut it.. but later he used to see the pictures and say something and then turn pages as we do... finally one day he started closing the book... now he is 6 months old, once i show the book he says something and moment he reaches the book he closes it... then flips it again... oh come one he learnt to close the book now.. you should feel happy about it.. keep showing them he/she will learn lot more... my son's fav book is cindrella.. he has almost 10 books now.. but the cindrella is his fav one.. he keeps saying something whenever we show that book,...

5. shilpaus

shilpaus New IL'ite

Just wait for some more time :) My DD used to do the same.Now at 13 months she loves to open the book and look at pics by herself.Also likes it when we read ABC for her.She opens the ABC book and brings it to me on her own.
    I just left the books along with her toys

6. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Aishu,

my girl was also like that. these days she brings along a book and shows few things to me. but still would not let me read for her. she prefers to see starfall or real objects.

7. RekhaViju

RekhaViju Bronze IL'ite

Laya loves books. She talks through pages and asks to us 'aaradu' (who is that) and enthaadu (what is that). Earlier she used only to just turn pages fast.

One suggestion is try to get books that has some music/sound or touch and feel kind of things.

8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

sahmaara, your DD is just 11 months old and at this age it is ok for her to just close the books - to encourage her to read, take her to story time, let her freely play with books in the library and spend time in the children's section without actually reading any books. I am sure she will then surely pick up and get curious and after a few days of this curiosity you can start reading to her. I think kids this age can barely stay put for not more than 3 or 4 pages of simple books. There is no way a child will not learn to read, so relax and just keep her exposed constantly :)

9. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

sahmaara - I second srama.
    DD is 13 mo and I brought some books for her. She just shuts them and throws away. If I have a bunch of books ...she will open one, shut it , throw it away ..then take another one ....this will repeat.
    But what I noticed is that after 3-4 days, without any initiation from my end, she took a book and calmly started looking at the pictures ... I think they need time to familiarize.

10. asha_karthik

asha_karthik Silver IL'ite

sahmaara - if your kid shuts the book, start narrating what is on the cover of the book !!! in an interesting manner, with lot of sounds & spices, using words & names that are familiar to her. Also what i have noticed with my kids.. if i spend about 5 mins reading my book in front of them, they initiate their reading themselves. you need to give her the time.. to realise that its not a ball that is to be thrown, but a book that needs to read. :)