Chitvish Recipes - Post your comments here (part 4)

Discussion in 'Ask ChitVish' started by Chitvish, Sep 14, 2010.

1. VidyaaJ

VidyaaJ Silver IL'ite

Chithramma,

I hope you remember me..:hide:.. Hope you are doing well..I have not been here for months.. that means I have not been inside the kitchen for any full fledged cooking for months.. :hide:.yes, I was completely busy with so many things happening around.. We have shifted from that house to RA puram.. Shibu has started walking, actually running..Priya has joined in a new job.. J has moved to new company.. Yes, I know you found that I am trying to get excuses..
    But even then, I should tell you that you can be proud of me for the below reason.. J invited one of his newly married couple for dinner on Saturday.. I really had no time to plan or shop..I was asked to start at 6.30 and at 7.15pm, I was done with all.. Phulkas, Baingan bhartha, vegetable pulao, boondhi raitha, rice, rasam and pappad. :cheers..And all these with mom and Priya not around to help and with Shibu playing/crying my side..I am soooooooo thankful to you.. It would not have happened if I am not trained by your recipes.. Defintely I would not have done things this fast and easily if someone else had taught me cooking...Thank you so much Chitramma..All the credit goes to you!!
    Vidyaa

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vidyaa,
    It is nice to see you back. Werll, I can imagine going thro' the whirlwind of activities in life around you. Hope you have settled down well. How did amma agree to shift from M'pore??

I am very happy that you could rise up to the occasion when there was a need!!
    This is what I expect as a reward FB, Vidyaa!
    Thanks & love,
    C.

3. radhikrish

radhikrish Silver IL'ite

Dear Chitra mami,

Belated Kathigai wishes. I tried Pori Urundai for the first time. Normally I dont make urundai and only kilaral, as per my mom's custom. But my hubby likes urundai as is done by his mother. So prepared urundai for the first time and that too I tried with candy thermometer. And it came out perfect. The tips of urundai to be kept in heaps in butter paper and then softly to be made as urundai using ghee in hand to shape , all helped , with the result, it was a shining round pori urundais. Also made Unniappam with 3/4 wheat flour and 1/4 rice flour proportion and it came so soft and fluffy , better than last time, when I made half half of each flour.

Some of the other items which I tried last week are Kovil Dosai, Oats Dosai (with onion), Vegetable Tava Paratha, and Chinese Noodles. All tasted superb , my favouriet was oats dosai. Simply superb and so jiffy.

Thanks mami

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  4. Deepa

Deepa Senior IL'ite

Dear Mrs.Chitra,
    My son and I baked brownie muffins today. He loves to help me out in the kitchen and wanted to bake something today. The muffins have come out superb. Very easy and delicious eggless brownie recipe to make.
    Thanks.
    Regards,
    Deepa

5. Chitvish

dear Radhi,
    Thanks. My amma also never rolled porii nto balls. She used to say, 'it should be paraLai paraLai'!!
    My MIL used to make balls & I find it convenient also.
    Nothing to beat candy thermometer for exact patham. So, CT, butter paper etc may sound hi-tech for ancient pori urundai. But the results are fool proof!! :biggrin2:
    As usual, I thank you for the list of FBs!!:thumbsup
    Love,
    C.

6. Chitvish

dear deepa,
    Excellent!! I am happy that P loves to bake with you. Brownies are perennial favourites too!!
    I hope you got him the bonus of ice cream to go with muffins! :tongue
    Love,
    C.

7. deepaakrishnan

deepaakrishnan Bronze IL'ite

hi maami

i have some doubts

can we make sago idli without the fruit salt?

for the idli recipe - for the batter is it ok if i use parboiled rice or ordinary rice instead of pulungal arisi?

for rava idli can i make it without fruit salt or baking soda?

warm regards
    deepa

8. Chitvish

Dear deepa,
    Sago idli, rava idli are spongy & porous only if fruit salt is added to give that effervescent texture.
    Puzungal arisi is parboiled rice.
    If you want to try my idli recipe with ordinary (raw) rice, use 3 cups of rice in place of 4 cups of parboiled rice.Though this will be quite good, puzungalarisi gives better results.
    Love,
    C.

9. damini

damini Gold IL'ite

Dear Chithra Ma'm,
    Just had my dinner & I could not wait till tomm to give the fb on Rajma Curry & Capsicum Stir-Fry Rice.I cooked the rajma just as you said & wow - melt in the mouth rajma:bowdownBoth the kids liked rajma curry & DD loved the gravy as well.Capsicum Stir-Fry rice was so easy to make & the subtle flavoured rice made a very good combo with rajma.Thank you so much for helping me cook that elusive rajma perfectly:).
    Love,
    Damini.

10. Chitvish

Thanks for the very prompt FB!
    Rajma - capsicum is a nice combo!! Cooking rajma directly in plenty of water for 'extra time' does really help!!
    We love channa, rajma etc only if they are very very soft!!
    Love,
    C