1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

places to travel in USA in december

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by khushipoise, Nov 15, 2010.

1. smileAlways

smileAlways Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    We have visited LA, Sandiego and SFO.
    The place we most liked and enjoyed is SFO.
    You can visit Golden Gate Bridge, Palace of Arts(This is a nice place),
    Crooked Street(Lombard Street) , pier 39(Its a hyped place), Alcatraz and so many things out there.
    Another attraction is 17 mile drive, if you can take a rental car. Also if you have car, you can go to the top a hill near golden gate bridge and enjoy the beauty of bridge and sea.

Another place(which is not so famous) is Point Reyes, which is 1.5 - 2 hr drive from SFO.
    Its actually a cape(+ an old light house), which is pointing to the sea..This is the most beautiful place I have seen ever in my life. You will be surrounded by sea on all sides except a narrow land. Only blue sky and sea will be in your vision. If you are going to SFO, don't miss this place.

Lake Tahoe is also a beautiful place(4-5 hrs from SFO). But it will be snowing there.

SFO is beautifully picturised in this song
    YouTube - Vaaranam Aayiram - Adiye Kolluthey HD

YouTube - Nenjukkul Peidhidum - Vaaranam Aayiram _ Harris Jayaraj _ Hariharan, Devan, V. Prasanna
    see the video between time stamps.3.53 to 4.31.
    The location is Palce of Arts, SFO

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  2. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

I'm not sure whether visiting San Francisco during winters will be a good idea. Compared to the north east, it never snows in SF, neither its as cold as north east, but still its pretty cold in winters. Its mostly windy in SF as its near to the ocean, and the wind and fog can be really chilly during winters.

If you visit SF, dont miss a view from Twin peaks. Tourist buses are not allowed on top of the peak, so you'll have to drive - visit there when it tends to dark - the view of city lights from the peak is amazing. But if the day is foggy, you won't get a clear view. Also city view from Treasure Island is good. A drive thru the Highway 1 is worth - You'll find the most beautiful beaches on one side of the road during the entire stretch.

3. ManuuRaghuu

ManuuRaghuu Senior IL'ite

Yes Khushipoise,i agree with writeme.SFO is cold in winters and thanks for starting this thread as am also looking for winter getaways here.

You have mentioned that you have already seen LA.But if you happen to visit LA again,don't miss Palos Verdes park.It is not a big one but you can enjoy breathtaking views of the ocean from the cliffs.Need not walk much.It is next to the Ocean front homes.We have been there couple of years back in December to watch the sunset.It was blissful!

4. ManuuRaghuu

Hi pmahensa,

Can you tell me which is the best way to go to Hawaii- in a cruise or taking a flight from California and the places(islands) that are must-see for first time visitors.Will one week be enough? Will first part of December be favorable in terms of weather and fares?

Thanks in advance,
    ManuuRaghuu

5. khushipoise

khushipoise Senior IL'ite

wow !
    thanks everyone for your generous responses ....
    i feel more excited for the trip now ...
    just have to be particular abt the place since we have a small baby too ( 6 months )
    but from what im hearing - SFO, sandiego , LA, hawai , florida seem good options ..although some of you mentioned SFO might be cold ...
    that may be a problem as we will be traveling with a small baby , but SFO seems to have a lot to see!

im also looking foward to hearing from pmahensa abt hawaii :)
    thanks again

6. ManuuRaghuu

Hi deepshikha,

We haven't been to San Diego yet.Yes,i heard from many that it's a beautiful place.Can you tell me how many days can we spend in San Diego alone in December? We have already been to Disney and Universal Studios.Am looking for scenic places to visit with my husband.

I heard that you do not require a visa to travel to Hawaii?In which cruise did you travel to Hawaii from San Diego and how long did it take for the trip?

Thanks in advance,
    ManuuRaghuu

7. cinderella06

cinderella06 Platinum IL'ite

kushi.. all the others said is right..SFO is colder but lots of places to see...

In LA..apart from Universal studios..there is kodak theater (check if they are open in dec..as they usually close around those months for Oscars) ,wax museum,Hollywood walk of fame,ripley's believe it or not, griffith observatory park (from there you can see Hollywood sign board), book a bus tour..they will cover celebrities houses,sunset boulevard,Rodeo drive (the high end branded shopping stores are there),laguna beach..beautiful sunset (again cold in winter)..just a choice..world famous venice beach..santa monica beach..
    Disneyland..as you said compared to florida its small..but can give a try..getty museum(art gallery,art museum,beautiful garden)..
    you can plan both SFO and LA..as its only 5 to 6hrs drive...by air saves time..

8. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Kushi,
    u can visit maui and big island in hawaii.
    we took a condo/apt to stay, so we can cook too. or u could book a hotel room too.
    there are lots to see in hawaii, beaches, scenic drives etc. it is little expensive than carribean islands or other destinations but worth.
    it would be perfect with baby too as u can relax in beach with the baby. we went in jan and weather soo good.except once the sea was rough.
    you can take cruise to visit other nearby islands too.