1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Calling working mothers with two kids....advice needed!

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by enlightened, Nov 14, 2010.

1. enlightened

enlightened Bronze IL'ite

Dear Ladies,
    I am a SAHM of two boys, 5years and 1 year old.I quit working 1.5 years back and now am thinking of getting back to work.I am from the IT feild , but now I am thinking of some other option like teaching until the younger one starts schooling.Now please....mothers ...will you tell me how you manage, your routine and stuff?Escpecially if you do are not having any help???

Deepa.

2. enlightened

45 views and not a single reply???

3. asha_karthik

asha_karthik Silver IL'ite

Deepa - i almost started writing few days back, but had to close it (so you get it, this is one of the compromises we need to make being a working mom).

I am a mom of 2 young kids. No support to the extent that, i can't even ask someone to baby sit even my older one (4 years old) for a few hours. DD goes to a daycare close to my workplace and DS (15m old) is in our office creche.
    - This proximity is very important for the mothers to be at peace and also for our plans to work well. esp in chennai roads where we can't even roughly guess how long it would take for us to travel from one place to another
    - Engaging paid help at home for everything is vital. i went back to see if you are in India.. yes, so this isn't tough for you. (i wonder how all of you abroad manage.. really !). so i have a cook, domestic help who come in the mornings. other than that, i take paid-help in many other forms - ironing, gardener, someone to clean the car/cycle on a regular basis
    - I dont spend a minute in the kitchen when kids need me. i handle our dinner, but that is a job done in jiffy. The cook is trained in such a way that she puts them in all in reheatable form (refrigerate or otherwise) and keep them ready so i have only around 15 mins time in the kitchen in the night (earlier i was doing everything myself and i didn't find it difficult.. if i do lot of planning and pre-cutting/frozen food stuff, but this is certainly easier and less strenuous and gives lot of more time to be spent with kids)
    - Its best if you can choose a job that either allows flexibility or adheres to a strict timings which is convenient for you. I work for IT and you know it isn't a clocked job. But there is room for flexibility. Since you are planning for a teaching job, it should work too, as long as the school dont give homework to teachers
    - After coming home, i just sit down for about 10 mins and play/talk with kids.. earlier i used to run straight into the kitchen just to finish that 15mins job. Work filled space, and i had no time for children at the end. These days i dont do that.. it helps and i also do spend time with them before bedtime

I could keep on writing.. but Deepa, tell me if this is what you are looking for. If you have any specific questions on the routine thing, write here and moms here will try to help. All the very best !

4. enlightened

Dear asha_karthik,
    Thanks so much that you could take time out of your schedule and reply to my thread.I totally understand your situation as I too was working in the IT field for 5 years before my younger one was born.That is one reason i do not want to go back to IT as the companies are very far from my home, here in hyderabad and secondly, the work in IT is quite taxing.I do have a domestic help who also helps me in kitchen chores.Besides that, my MIL stays with me.What I am thinking of is a part time teaching job to start with in one of the many degree colleges that are located around my area.This might give me the flexibility of spending enough time with my kids too.IT is presently out of question!
    I really appreciate how you handle both home and work.Working women lead two lives and there is always this guilt hovering around us that we do not do enough.I have faced this before.The problem at home is MIL was a home maker and she dosent understand why anyone should work in a job that dosent pay enough...she dosent appreciate the fact that sometimes just a few hours outside home is needed to keep us mentally sane.Hope you understand what I am trying to say..
    Take care.