Why should we not go near God, during periods?

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by sanju, Dec 13, 2007.

1. sk271210

sk271210 New IL'ite

incarnation,

:) no, only kids. Still,even on kids, i feel, its unnecessary!

2. Sharongpl

Sharongpl Senior IL'ite

Religion is by humans and not by God. Just bcoz some idiotic sadistic human being told so we need not follow it. I go to temple when I have period, who cares what others say

3. Swethasri

Swethasri Platinum IL'ite

no not at all.i personnally did this we have a tulsi maadam in our house.i only do watering and tulsi did not die.tulsi is equalent to lord maha vishnu.so while watering just say om namo narayanaya.thats it.i personally experienced it.its a beautifull experience i had even in my periods time.so as our other IL's said god only need our athma to be very clean and pure not our physical body.so u can very well water and do puja to tulsi at anytime pls beleive me iam experiencing that.be happy make others happy.thats the only thing god wants from the human souls.

Swetha

1 person likes this.
  4. ammani

ammani Gold IL'ite

Hello,

i too had the same doubts when i first got my chums!!! :) but then i was knowing well about human reproductive system!!

but nowadays kids get their chums early.. i have seen kids aged 10-12 getting their chums.... and though they know nothing moms just tell them what not to do and what to do.... .without explaining the reasons... poor kid!!

Modern times its better though i feel... because mom used to say.... before they didnt even allow the lady/girl who had chums to go out of the house or do any work!!! (you check some old movies... you will see girls/ladies sitting in some corner of the house simply for 4-5 days!!!) atleast we can work or do something rather than sitting simply!!!

i am thankful to GOD that now there is no such rule as sit simply in the house doing nothing :bowdown

what do others say about this point... i would surely like to know!!!

5. neetureddy

neetureddy Senior IL'ite

Hi Ammani

I remember 2 seperate occasions where I was told to stay away

Instance 1:

Mum and I were staying with an old grandmother (not mine) and when I had my period, I was told not to sit on the couch and was told to sit on the floor and the woman had the nerve to lock the puja room so that I won't go into the room and transgress the place. I was so offended.

Instance 2:

Again this time we were staying with some friends of a relative. This woman had such a wicked heart. She told her husband to tell me to remove the bedsheet that I used and throw it away!!!:rantAnd this idiot of a woman used to babysit this beautiful little girl - she may have been one plus and I'm the sort of person who don't really get along great with children - I just find them annoying but with this little girl I got on so well then she used to follow me everywhere in the house and I adored her to bits (even my mum was surprised at my behaviour). So what this woman did was she told me not to touch the child or speak to it fearing that I may somehow taint the child. It broke my heart not being able to play with her or carry her because of this woman. But even that I can digest but to have the nerve to tell me to throw that bedsheet away!!! I don't think I have ever been insulted in my life like that.

Coming back to the question of the OP:

I don't go to the temple when I have my periods for the sole reason of it being terribly uncomfortable. (I walk like a duck during those times - thank God, mine only lasts 3 days max). A very pretty sight. But I do daily pujas and cleaning and everything. Like some ILs have stated, if God made us, why would he deem us unclean for any matter? Plus being a woman is a beautiful thing - why should something that gives life be impure? I believe the beauty of our faith is the fact that we can and must question. It shouldn't be the case of blind leading the blind :spin. It is only through questioning that we can get closer to the ever-lasting Brahman. My take on the matter. :)

6. Swethasri

Absolutely right Neetureddy.

the lady u said abt,its not an insult to u.its an insult to her behaviour.dont worry.u r intention towards this thread is absolutely right.God wants as pure as our soul not our crematable body.so dont bother abt that lady.if u face another situation like this try to teech something abt this and we are all younger generation as we suffer our next generation shd not suffer.Periods is not sin or an impure thing.teach u r kids if u have girl.lets join hands and remove this kind of bad thought in the society that too worst community like bhramin

7. keethi

keethi Silver IL'ite

To my knowledge , during those days your body will be at a little high temperature , tats y we r irritated in those days. So the temperature in temple , fa cold water , our home is mild , v stay cool in temple .

So if you ur body s heated up , you spread it to the surroundings . So it s better to stay away from temple , also in some customs they stay in a separate room outside the home .

:)

8. pandorabox

pandorabox New IL'ite

None of hindu text prevent a lady to go temple/near God or Godess during period. IN SANATAN DHARAM FEMALE is always auspicious/pious and fit for all religious ceremony. Specially in TANTRA they are more suitable for PUJA during period. Mensuration is not a sin.

9. Tugga

Tugga Silver IL'ite

hmmm... So, you are advised not to go near God or take part in any poojas during your periods because your negative energy, hormonal imbalance, high temperature and physical uncomfortabilities... Agreed...

But how many of you restricted your routine activities during "these days" just because of the above reasons?
    Aren't you going to work? College? Riding a bike? Mixing up with colleagues/friends? Doing your house hold chores? Taking care of your kids? etc..etc..etc...

If you can successfully manage with all your activities with this "periods"? and compell to do all your chores just like a normal way, then why should you avoid ONLY the religious activities?

If you can cope with your colleagues/friends and family members with all your "periods" related discomforts, then can't you cope up with the almighty - who created us, and understands our discomforts than anyone else.. and who even has a greater capacity of tolerating our sins than our fellow human beings!

10. Swethasri

VERY WELL SAID Tugga