1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Pursuing MS/MBA in the U.S.A on F1 or H4 visa

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by neha1, Mar 6, 2010.

1. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Pranam and Jazzlady thank you:)
    Jazzlady - this is for spring 2011. I did not have the patience to wait till fall. But, If I don't get through this time then will have to re-apply in fall.

2. reshsabu

reshsabu Gold IL'ite

Neha,

Any idea how long it takes for you to get the admit decision?

Many of the folks I know have started getting Spring admits. So, I hope you would know the decision soon.

All the best to you :thumbsup

3. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Resh, thanks for this note and ur wishes :)..yes,many have started to get admits but they would have applied in aug/sep. I appplied in the first week of oct and my school take 4-6 weeks. So, I should know by end november. I'm so nervous... I'm in India now..wil be back in one month....let's see what happens...
    all the best to you too for GMAT and upcoming applications.

4. jis

jis New IL'ite

hi all..

@ neha1: thanks for starting the thread..

i'm planning to do MS, have done my BE in Applied Electronics & Instrumentation Engineering.

Have not decided on a specialization as of now ! :confused2:

My question is: To get a good job which MS should i choose?:idea

Now i'm in Michigan State.

Any suggesion/input would be helpful..

TIA

Jis

5. reshsabu

reshsabu Gold IL'ite

Jis,

It is a really good decision you have taken.
    I am assuming that you dont have prior work experience. So,job prospects will depends on the university, program,ranking ,career placements etc.

IMO, if you get a good GRE score and admit in a good program, getting a job shouldnt be hard. The program you want to choose depends on what is your career aspiration.

If you are keen on research,teaching etc on Applied Electronics you could do Masters in that followed by a PHD. If you are interested in IT jobs, you could try for programs like MS in IT, Information systems etc.

In case , you are looking for a move to a different field, that is also an option. For eg. Neha was working in IT and is now planning to do MS in Accounting.

Doing an MS is a big decision. So, give it a lot of thought about what career you want to pursue and decide on what MS you want to do based on that.

You are lucky that you are in MI. There are several good universities like Michigan State univ,Univ of Michigan- Ann arbor, Wayne state university etc. Go thru the univ websites and look for courses that may interest you. Being a local to MI, you can visit the univ or attend information sessions to get a better picture.

All the best.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  6. joinamruta

joinamruta New IL'ite

Hello to everybody in this thread ,

I'm planning to give GRE since I want to do MS.But I don't know anything about it.

Can anybody help me where to start from.I need information on everything on GRE like where and when to register then which is a good book.

I have read some posts which suggest Barron's is a good book but when I googled for best GRE books the Kaplan ones came up.I am confused as there are somany of them.

So please tell how should I plan for my GRE.

Thankyou.

7. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Resh has answered your question. so, I am not going to repeat it. And , like Resh has mentioned michigan does have decent universities. Check out the universities close to you and see what programs they have. Then, shortlist the ones that interest you and check the requirements. some universities will have deadline of mar/april for fall 2011. so you still have time . otherwise, apply for spring 2012- that will give you a lot of time!!

8. reshsabu

reshsabu Gold IL'ite

Joinamruta,

I gave GRE few months back and scored 1300+. IMO, Barrons is indispensible. It is like the "GRE Bible". So, to start with get the Barrons book. It is a good idea to start with the wordlists in Barrons (about 4000 words) and paralelly do the Math section.

Completing Barrons will take 1.5-2 months. Once you are done, you can look for additional preparation and practice material. Kaplan, Princeton, Arco, Manhattan GRE etc are some of the other leading books. You could read reviews about these in Amazon.

I myself used all these materials and my reviews are as follows -

1. Princeton - Simple and easy to understand. But not enough if you want to score 1200+. It is a bit too easy.

2. Kaplan - Comprehensive and good material. Somehow, I am not a huge fan of Kaplan materials.. just my perception. Has lot of excercise questions.

You can go to GRE General Test: About the GRE General Test to read more about the GRE exam.

Do go thru the GRE thread in this forum. That has some good info.

Hope this helps.

9. joinamruta

joinamruta New IL'ite

Reshsabu,

Thankyou so much for the reply.

Yes I have started with the barron's book after going through lots of reviews on Amazon.

Will definetely go through the GRE thread in the forum.

I got to know from your postings on the forum that you have managed to study while taking care of your byoung child.This gave me inspiration since I too have a 11 month old baby.

10. reshsabu

reshsabu Gold IL'ite

Joinamruta,

Congrats on getting started !! Initially, it may seem like a mammoth, but once you finish one round of the Barrons wordlist, you will feel confident about verbal and the later revisions will be easier.

So, just keep doing Barrons for now.

When are you planning to give your GRE exam? The deadline for Fall 2011 international applicants is between Jan 2011 and April 2011 depending on the university. Most of them that I am applying has it in Jan 2011. But,in case you dont make it, you can always look for courses with Spring intake.

Since you have family in CA, I am assuming that you would prefer nearby universities. If that is the case, do find out your preferred courses and deadlines. You can plan to give GRE accordingly, depending on application deadline.

Also, since you mentioned that you have a infant baby, my advice is to find out what is the GRE score requirement and come up with a study plan depending on score you need. IMO, to get a very high score like 1400+ requires a lot of serious preparation. Several courses dont need that kind of a score. One of my friends who is a local to SF Bay area got a good admit in SF State univ with a GRE of around 1050.