1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Costco wholesale store membership

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Sahmaara, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Sahmaara

Sahmaara Bronze IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

We recently got Costco (equivalent of Sams Club and BJs) membership. We have a 10 month old and three of us live together. We always go to Costco and think what to buy. Everything is in so much bulk even for the three of us. Can you please tell me what can we buy from there and how can we save on money? How can we make the best use of our membership?

PS: We buy pampers diapers and use Parents Choice formula, which we do not get in Costco.

Thanks!

2. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

For the same reason; though we had a membership in BJ's I rarely shopped from there :)))

Now my LO is 2 years plus; so we buy juice boxes; vegetable chips; yogurt (Chobaani greek yogurt is cheap there) etc.

But I do not buy cookies/crackers from there; too risky; because if the kid is temporary feeling "averse" to it; then it has to go to mommy's stomach:). I had an experience with "gold fish" crackers; which she was crazy about till the day I brought it from BJ's ; after opening the big box; suddenly she decided she didn't like it anymore. Ohhh... :drowning

Sometimes; you get better deal on Pampers from babiesrus (with coupon) than wholesale shops. If there are no coupons; then we buy pampers from BJ's. Oil too; same case. Sometimes; shoprite has amazing deal on canola oil (wesson's); so we buy it shoprite.

Yeah; We do buy egg; bread; fruits (apples; oranges) and milk from BJ's. And occassionally books too.

-Nitha

3. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

Even we end up buying very few items from Costco. I don't buy any perishable food items from costco coz of the quantity. But I choose canola oil, sugar, salt, etc as it lasts long enough till I use them up completely. Among the rest of the items, I buy tide, dishwasher gels & liquids, kitchen and bath tissues (mostly get costco coupons on these) etc. From fresh produce, mushrooms and palak are my choices. If you buy drinking water, costco will be cheaper compared to other stores. I have seen lots of people buying milk from costco - I never did as the consumption is so minimal at my home.

Costco chocolates are a good deal if you plan for a vacation - you may buy in bulk for much reasonable price. Costco often has good prices on clothes as well.

Costco has deals for car rentals, hotels etc. Check their website travel section. Costco gas prices are considered cheaper - but at a NY costco, I found it expensive than the normal gas stations.

Also with a costco membership, you can apply for a free Amex credit card. Every year, you get cash back on the credit card based on your yearlong usage of the card (u may use it at any stores where they accept amex - purchasing gas with amex card gives more cash back). We always got above $50 every year as cash back from amex; and costco membership renewals cost only $50. So its a win-win!!

Indu

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  4. neets

neets Silver IL'ite

we have Costco membership for more than a year,there is not much that we buy,but the stuff we buy from there are very economical.
    We buy Bath Tissue,kleenex face tissue,oil,sugar,salt,all cleaning items,laundry liquids,even toothpaste ,shampoos ,milk,egg,yogurt.
    The advantage is that its lot cheaper and last longer so that we dont need to make frequent trips.

5. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My vote for Amex card + cash backs..
    Costco Gas
    Produce - Fruits / Spinach
    other items - Tissues , handtowels, cereals (it has 2 bags and comes for 2- 3 months) , coffee , splenda, oil

I dont buy anything else there..

6. skalluri

skalluri Gold IL'ite

Apart from the items which other ladies mentioned here, I also buy Kitchen bags(garbage collecting bags), ziplog bags, soaps, toothpaste, Listerene, Brita filters(most of the times Costco will send coupans on these items). peanuts (whole peanut in shell), nuts , kids books.

Sujatha.

7. cinderella06

cinderella06 Platinum IL'ite

We buy milk,coffee powder(cheap,sometimes get coupon),extra virgin olive oil(they are very cheap compared to other shops),kirkland wipes,ziploc,trash bag,paper towles,bath towles,laundry liquid(all these comes for more than 7 to 8 months),juice..gas for car.

you will get a coupon book....you can plan the purchase using that..thay give discount even for elctronic items..

photo print cost is cheaper than walmart..

chocolates during india visit..

8. rekhas

rekhas Senior IL'ite

Hello,

We buy gas, milk, eggs, oil, nuts, cereal, frozen vegetables, juice, fruits, yogurt, coffee, long grain rice, basmati rice, kids vitamins, bread, multipack (Individual servings size) snacks - cookies, chips, bars, water for school lunches, multigrain or whole wheat tortillas, frozen entrees, vinegar and then some.

I never used to buy any food items from Costco before as it was just too much. But as kids get older, we found we need lot of grab and go items due to kids activities and having their friends over, those individual size snacks are a lot more convenient and handy. It saves us a lot of time and sanity in the last minute.

9. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

in addition to all above i also buy following

1. chewy bars as snacks to kids school

2.microvable popcorn bags.

3.cereals,

4. basmati rice bag

10. Sahmaara

Sahmaara Bronze IL'ite

Thanks everyone..got really good ideas that I will buy the next time I visit Costco