1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing a Sewing Machine - Embroidery / Normal

Discussion in 'Sewing & Stitching' started by Mallika29, Oct 15, 2007.

1. hemalathaK

hemalathaK Platinum IL'ite

Re: Wanted to know the best sewing machine.

Yes I am already saving towels,clothes etc which I think will be usefull in future.
    What are the yahoo groups I don't get it plz can you give some link?

2. anaconda1997

anaconda1997 Senior IL'ite

Re: Sewing machine to buy at chennai- suggestions please

hey am also looking to buy. a new BASIC machine costs 4800 Rs. (merit )
    that is very good for rough use. it has only one stitch. and manual one. its worth always..

next is Singer 8280(i am not sure about this but i am most gonna buy this) it costs 7400 INR. it has 7 stitches with embriodary. it has 1 year warrentee.

what ever, u have to test and buy. buy with is comfortable for you and also mainly see what support u get. i mean the service should be easily available. buy from the right person. r u near adyar? near adyar signal there is a shop to buy .

if u want second hand , then u can buy also..

3. anaconda1997

Re: Sewing machine to buy at chennai- suggestions please

hi i bought singer 8280 in singer showroom in mount road today! for 6800.. its very good and am so happy..

4. nags

nags Silver IL'ite

Re: Sewing machine: Usha janome stitch magic

i have merritt big machine what it is called or commercial/tailor machine. i want to know do we get different foot, i mean which we release down to press the fabric and needle passes in between to stitch. hope you understand. what is it called.

i want to know if we can get different sizes as i am not able to stich thicker fabric or do piping as the fabric moves away due to thickness.

any help in this regard is highly appreciated.

5. hemalathaK

Hi saida,

I want one more information,have you ever purchased fabrics through online?I looked into few sites like fashion fabrics etc... but not sure whether they will ship it correctly .Do you have any experience in that.Please tell me.Bringing fabrics from India is not possible always know?
    Also if we buy some salwar kameez materials here, we cannot use them in experimenting isn't it?
    In walmart I saw some crochet threads in different colors.It was not like the threads used in sewing machine for sewing but it was slightly thick and I thought it may be the threads used for the embroidary purposes.But I am not sure about it.Can you tell me what is that?
    Also I want to try some dresses for my daughter .So need to buy some fabrics.So please share your knowledge.Awaiting for your post eagerly.

6. muscat99

muscat99 New IL'ite

Walmart has very nice material. The used to have a 99cents/yard clearance section, but that was about 9 years ago. I'm sure the price has increased by now.

I haven't bought any clothing material online in the US, only quilting material, so I don't know where you can buy online. You could try ebay for suit material, or GulAhmedshop.com. Gul Ahmed is extremely slow to ship, it arrives in about a month, but the suits are beautiful and worth waiting for. You won't get that quality anywhere else for such a good price. Since the shipping is a bit high, you might want to order with a friend or 2 to share the shipping cost. If you decide to order Gul Ahmed, order directly from them. Middle men add on a fee!

Machine embroidery thread looks exactly like sewing machine thread. You want 40 weight rayon (viscose), or polyester. I think Walmart stores have coats and clark brand? As I mentioned before, brothermall2.com has the best prices on the Madera, and Robison Anton thread. Both are good brands that people use with good results in the stitchout, and for the machine. No breakage or other problems to break down the machine.

Have you found the yahoo group yet? Go to groups.yahoo.com, and search around. You use your same yahoo mail ID to log onto the groups.

Please feel free to ask any other questions. Have a nice day.

7. sripillai

sripillai Senior IL'ite

Re: Sewing machine: Usha janome stitch magic

Hi,
    i wish i could help you, but really dont know the exact name of the foot you are asking for,,,
    Those kind of foots are normally mixef with the other normal foots. Just ask for pressure foot for commercial sewing machine, so you can get to choose the type from that,,,
    Good luck,,

8. PPrasath

PPrasath Senior IL'ite

Hi The mute violin!
    Thanks a lot.
    So there IS a difference in rate if we buy from Adyar and Mount road...
    BTW, do they give service even if we buy from far away store?
    Let me know once you start using it.. will also flock to the store

Cheers
    Thara

9. hemalathaK

Thank you saida, for your information.Your each and every line is so useful to me.I went to walmart there are fabrics starting from 2.49$ minimum.Not sure about the clearence section.I will see in to the websites you mentioned.

Thank you once again.If I get any doubts I will definitely ask you.

10. anaconda1997

hi. mount road le showroom irukku. original pieces. adyar le ava dealer thaan. he might replace some original parts also . also he is charing 600 more. mount road le 2 years warrentee irukku. adyar le just 1 year dhaan. ava eemaathra. nalla veele showroom kee pooyitten. ange demonstration irukku. u can check them. romba neeram demo le ukkaaralaam. evulo neram venaalum.
    i am using it from 23rd, and made sooo many things.. very quick! i am soo comfortable with it.. u can buy it. am gonna gift it to my mom too