1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dreaming n playing while sleeping

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by shrukri, Oct 27, 2010.

1. shrukri

shrukri New IL'ite

I have a peculiar problem. My 3 yr n 8 month old is dreaming a lot while sleeping.
    1. She never likes to take a nap after school. Sometimes i have to force her to, so that she gets some rest. Her school timings are from 8.30 am -12.30pm, so i try to put her to sleep for atleast 2 hrs.
    2. She never settles down at night(even if she misses her afternoon nap). She keeps coloring or playing. Then we have to again force her. She wakes up atleast 4-5 times imagining she's playing or what ever activities she had done in the day. She either talks to her friends, play or some acitivity or other in her sleep.
    DH n me are worried about this. Earlier it was just once or twice now it has increased. Ladies pls pour ur suggestions or what can be done. Do i need to consult a doc...
    Awaiting all ur replies.....

Uma

2. babychinnu

babychinnu Senior IL'ite

Hi uma,

Try some of the below ideas and see. If nothing works out, take her to a doc as rest is very important for her.

1. Give her warm milk at bedtime.
    2. Take her out to a ride around your house on a bike, may be she sleeps for the breeze (I used to sleep like this only when I was a child, now my baby too, sometimes:)).
    3. Keep some soothing music and switch off the lights and you too lie beside her.
    4. Lie beside her and switch off the lights and tell some stories.

If you have tried all these, may b u need to search for more. :)

Deepa.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  3. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

hey Uma, mine to had the same problem for few days.. but he got out of it soon.. I am talking abt night sleep.. I am not for aft. nap as I am trying hard to keep my DS away from aft. nap so that his night sleep will be much better.. so what you could try is.. in the night dont put / force her to sleep as soon as she is done with her playtime.. It should be a process she understands.. her system - brain and body should know beyond this time she has to rest.. slowing ask her to wind up her colouring or whatever she is doing.. tell her we are going to bed now, wait for her to put / clear her stuff away.. give her warm milk (if you normally do).. massage her arms and legs (if you can use some soothing cream) while having a short talk with her.. and slowly drift to sleep.. give it some 15-30 mins between her play and going to bed. this will soothe her down.. when I see DS restless, I use the lavendar cream to massage him in bed.. it helps.

4. shrukri

shrukri New IL'ite

Thanks Deepa for the suggestions, stories i've done with her, but with 2 it's always not possible....let me see what i can do.
    AD thanks for that valuable suggestion again! How did i forget, I think she talks a lot in sleep when i force her n make her wind up toys n books n immediately sleep. Let me try n see if it works. Thanks again for reminding me.....I always remember u all when she spills her drink! Ofcourse bad mommy i do get wild at times....Let me not divert this thread......
    If anyone have any other suggestions pour in.....

Uma

5. saathulucky

saathulucky New IL'ite

hi uma,
    i too agree with ad. LO need their time and space. let her wind up her toys . just be calm and lie beside her , tell her good cute bedtime stories, include the characters which she likes.pamper her she will respond .one thing before gng to bed make sure she is not hungry,has gone to bathroom as these will make them feel uneasy. talk to her abt her school activities ,abt her friends when she return frm school. take her for a small walk or to park inthe evening ,as physical exercise help lo alot to sleep soundly
    bye:thumbsup