1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Breast Cancer - what we should know?

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by kavya, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Nittu

Nittu Senior IL'ite

Re: Breast Cancer

OMG....Thanks for sharing the info..just can't beleive breast cancer has become like common cold.

2. kaverivenkat

kaverivenkat Bronze IL'ite

An Article about Breast Cancer

An article about Breast Cancer

This article has been written to help women with Breast Cancer and their families and friends to better understand this disease. We hope others will read it as well to learn more about Breast Cancer.

Breast Cancer worries women more than any other disease. Every year 9,00,000 women are found with Breast Cancer worldwide, out of which about 1,00,000 new cases are diagnosed in India. Our national cancer registry revealed that Breast Cancer is becoming number one cancer (Replacing uterine cervical cancer) among common female malignancies. Probably it is the result of interaction between genetic factors aging and exposure to natural and industrial chemicals in the environment which exhibit carcinogenic activities.

Early Detection

Breast Cancer like any other cancer is multi step process, Consisting of initiation, promotion and progression, characterized by proliferation and uncontrolled growth of theBreast Cells. It takes a while to happen & early detection done during this time has good chances of complete recovery and also more treatment choices. So it is important to detectBreast Cancer as early as possible, we suggest women to take an active part in early detection and come forward for screening program.

Doctors can seldom explain why one person gets this disease and another doesn’t. It is clear however that Breast Cancer is noncontageous and certain risk factors increase a woman’s chance of developing Breast Cancer.

Often Breast Cancer is detected in woman, with none of the known risk factors. Hence it is important for all women to come forward for Breast screening and Early detection.

THREE STEPS OF EARLY DETECTION :

• Breast self examination. (Monthly).
    • Breast physical examination. (Annual).
    • Mammography ( After Doctors Advice).

ONE:

BREAST SELF EXAMINATION

Each woman’s Breast change throughout her life. Monthly menstruation , pregnancy , breast feeding and Menopause may change the shape ,size and feel of her Breasts. It is important to know what is normal for oneself. This can be done usingBreast self examination. You do it yourself. Familiarity makes it easier to notice any change in the Breast from one month to another. Do it 3 to 4 days after end of period when Breast are least likely to be tender or swollen.
    If in menopause do it first of every month. If you find a lump puckering of skin or dimple or swelling in the axilla see the doctor at once. Don’t panic! Remember 8 out of 10 lumps in Breast or not cancer.

Many woman are concerned about benign breast conditions ordinary “lumpiness” do not increase their risk of breast cancer unless their previous biopsy show “atypical hyperplasia” which has increased risk of cancer

Don’t feel embarrassed to ask doctors or nurse to review with your steps in BSE to assure you are doing it right and gain more confidence.

Free Pamphlet describing Breast Self Examination is available in most of the hospitals in Chennai for your reference.

TWO:

A PHYSICAL EXAMINATION

Examination of Breast by health professional is a must Frequency of Breast examination depends on variety of factors. Doctor recommends for yearly examination for some woman or more frequently for others. The physician examines the Breast and under arm with fingers checking for lumps. The Breast also is checked for dimpling, Scaling, puckering, of skin and discharge from the nipple.

THREE :

MAMMAGRAPHY

Beginning at Age of 40, all should be encouraged to have a mammogram every 1-2 years until age 50. After 50 mammography should be done annually .
    A mammogram is an Xray of the breast. It can reveal tumors too small to see or feel and can show other changes in the Breast which doctors can believe may suggest cancer.example- small deposit of tiny calcium specs called micro calcification an early sign of cancer.
    Mammogram usually have two pictures one taken from the TOP and other from the SIDE. When done under a dedicated mammography unit radiation exposure risk is very small.
    Mammography is excellent tool, but it cannot find every abnormal area.
    However these guidelines are expected to change and final decision regarding mammogram should be made on an individual basis by the doctors, If he finds a symptom of Breast Cancer through BSE, the annual exam, or by chance. (Ultra Sound, PET , MRI also can be used for this.)

Risk Factors

Risk increases as women gets older. Common after the age of 50 years more after the age of 60 however it can come at the earlier age also.

Family History :

For a woman whose Grandmother, Mother, Sister or Daughter has had Breast Cancer. Risk increases if they had before menopause and in both Breasts.

Personal History:

Already had cancer in one Breast.
    Early menstruation (before age of 12)
    Late menopause (after 55)
    Late First child birth (after age of 30)
    Woman who never conceived or Breast Feed.
    Woman who had Ovarian Cancer
    Woman expose to XRAYS
    Woman had long term hormone replacement after menopause (HRT)
    Beningn Breast Disease I atypical stypsphesia (Bcopy Proven)

Diet and Exercise:

Avoid Diet with high fat leading to overweight. Start at the formative years
    Use alcohol in moderation.
    Take Diet with high Fiber content.
    Eat Fresh fruits and vegetables in empty stomach.
    Do regular Pranayama, Yoga, and exercise like walking and swimming.

Symptoms:

Early Breast Cancer has No symptoms and No Pain

As it grows it can cause changes that woman should watch for.

1) Lump or Thickening in the Breast or Under arm area
    2) Change of the size & shape of one Breast compare to the other.
    3) Discharge from the Nipple
    4) Change in the color and feel in the skin ( like an orange peal.)
    5) Scales in the areola or nipple.
    6) Non healing ulcer in the nipple
    Most often these are not cancer but only a doctor can tell for sure.

Diagnosis :

An abnormal area in a mammogram or lumps or other changes in the Breast is caused by cancer. Based on this examination (Palpation, Mammography, Ultrasound) doctor decides to remove fluid or tissue from the Breast to make a diagnosis.

1)FNAC – Fine needle aspiration cytology
    2)True cut needle biopsy (CORE BIOPSY)
    3)Open biopsy / Excision biopsy in very special cases otherswise is obsolate now
    A pathologist can tell what kind of cancer it is. ( duct or a lobuler cancer ) ( Insitu and or invasive cancer). Special lab test of tissue helps the doctor to learn more about the cancer.
    Example – Hormone receptor tests and oncogene test and grade of the tumors which guides us to know the outcome-prognosis of disease.
    TREATMENT :

Many treatment are used for breast cancer. Treatment depends on the stage (I, II, III, IV)size & location of the tumor, involvement of lymph nodes in the regional area and spread of cancer cells to other vital organs( metastasis) and Lab test including hormone receptor. Women’s age, general health, her feeling about the treatment option also must be considered.

Methods of Treatment
    1)Surgery
    2)Radiation Therapy
    3)Chemotherapy
    4)Hormone Therapy
    5)Biological Therapy

Treatment Decisions are complex and are offered according to the stage of the disease.
    Most common Treatment is surgery, A lumpectomy, segmental mastectomy , Total mastectomy, Modified Radical mastectomy, Radical mastectomy, immediate reconstruction or delayed reconstruction are some of the choices.

Role of Radiotherapy and Chemotherapy and Hormone therapy before or after the surgery is decided by the Oncologist, depending on the stage of the disease.

Side effects of surgery, Radiotherapy , Chemotherapy and Hormone therapy sometime unpleasant and this has to be explained to the patient by the physician or the nursing counselor/ coordinator.
    Rehabilitation and followup care closely to be sure that cancer has not recurred, are very important after Breast cancer treatment.

Here are some questions a woman may want to ask the doctor before treatment begins:

1)What is the stage of the disease?
    2)What are my treatment choices? Which do you recommend for me? why ?
    3)What are the expected benefits of each kind of treatment?
    4)What are the risks and possible side effects of each treatment?
    5)Would a clinical trial be appropriate for me?

These are some questions a woman may want to ask her doctor before surgery:

1) What kind of operation will it be?
    2) How will I feel after the operation? If I have, How will you help me?
    3)where will the scars be? What will they look like?
    4)If I decide to have plastic surgery to rebuild my breast , when can that be done?
    5)Will I have to do special exercises?
    6)When can I get back to my normal activities?

1/3 of women diagnosed with Breast Cancer die due to the disease. But there is good news. Much progress is being made in Breast Cancer detection diagnosis, treatment and is breast reconstruction-progress that makes a differences by extending and improves
    Women’s lives.

When breast cancer is found early, chances of complete recovery is better almost 100% trials to study new treatments protocol patients in all stages of breast cancer are underway.

Trails include biological therapy treatment to boost immune system response to cancer. Bone marrow transplantation, stem cell therapy colony stimulating factors are newer approaches.

Community offers resources and self help groups which help women to cope up with their cancer and speed with emotional adjustments. Remember we have made progress and are making more progress everyday. You can take advantage of it.

The above article was written by Dr.Aruna Chandrasekharan, MS, Mch (Sur. Oncology),
    senior consultant, Department of Surgical Oncology, Chennai on my request and I am

Giving you here for our members. I request all the members to read this article and try to
    create an awareness among your lady friends, relatives and others.

kaverivenkat

3. Ooviya

Ooviya Platinum IL'ite

Re: An Article about Breast Cancer

very useful post.... thanks a lot....

4. meghasharma84

meghasharma84 Senior IL'ite

Know about Breast Cancer

Women in India are often found to either neglect their health deliberately or ignoring the symptoms due to lack of knowledge.

October is Breast Cancer awareness month and we would like you to discuss your knowledge and questions about this deadly disease here. We would like to be the platform where you can come and talk about this issue without any hesitations.

Are you ready for it?

5. delicate

delicate Bronze IL'ite

Re: Know about Breast Cancer

hi megha !
    i am 22 years old unmarried. i have seen a video uploaded by indusladies team on facebook for the awareness of breast cancer. in that video they said u should examine yourself after at the age of 18 and feel changes in either breast or nipples etc. i have a question. if we feel changes in nipple but when we examine ourself by lying and feel normal. will it be normal?

6. jaisapmm

jaisapmm Silver IL'ite

7. delicate

delicate Bronze IL'ite

8. kaverivenkat

kaverivenkat Bronze IL'ite

Re: An Article about Breast Cancer

Dear Ooviya,

Thank you very much for your reply.

kaverivenkat