1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

How do u maintain ur Accessories...earings,necklaces,sets??

Discussion in 'Jewelry & Accessories' started by swaran, Oct 25, 2010.

1. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi All Lovely ladies,

After getting our favourite earings and bangles,the biggest responsibility lies in maintaining them....guess all would agree with me :)...

Phew i believe they are really difficult but must...

So how do u maintain ur accessories(earrings,necklaces,bangles etc etc) especially the artificial ones???....

Letme start...i really have a big craze for matching accessories almost all types of accessories mainly with earings,set and bangles...previously i just used to put them in boxes..all in one box :bonk be it with or wihout stones,dint worry abt the metal..so had lost many precious ones...:hide:
    then i started to maintain them..so here goes my list

Earings

small- daily use (either has small stones or no stone,fancy hook type)....have a small box for that

little bigger/medium sized fancy ones with stones (for little expensive salwars) ... used to keep each earing in a zip lock cover and place them in a small plastic drawer box(with shelves)..each of the shelf would contain a layer of cotton and above that i keep the zip lock covers with earings

Big earings/costly ones(for sarees and costly/grand salwars - same technique as for medium sized earings but maintain in a seperate big plastic box (spread a layer of cotton...keep the ziplock covers,with 1 pair of earing inside ...keep few earings like this...then spread another layer of cotton and keep the next set of earings... till thebox gets full..i dont press and keep..once the box gets full,i take the next box)

Necklace,Pendants and sets

Keep the boxes that are given for them..in case they are not air tight or can break easily,i keep them in the boxes that we get while buying gold jewellery(velvet boxes)

Bangles

Have a big box with bangle rods for costly glass and metal bangles

Simple glass and metal bangles : each set is tied seperately and kept in cardboard boxes and in case they are metal or has stones,i wrap them in paper and then keep them in boxes..boxes maintained seperately for glass and metal bangles

Hair Bands/Clips/HairPins/Safety Pins

Hair Bands and Hair clips(big small) along with the Hair Pins(fixed to a cardboard sheet) goes to a seperate Plastic box
    Safety Pins alone go in a small plastic box so that i dont have to search and also easy to cary while travelling

Also please share how u take these accessories while travelling????..what are the precautions u take ??

i have not travelled much with many accessories..for few items(may be funtion for a day or two),i just take them in a small box but always keep fearing till i return back home..hence i always have a feeling that i should maintain them better and with more care

Lets share so that we can maintain better by sharing our tips to each other.....

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
    2 people like this.

2. mohantina

mohantina Senior IL'ite

hi Swaran,

these r really gud and useful ideas. it will be heplful for everyone if u update some related pictures also.

3. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

thanks dear
    and yes wen i find time,i ll take some pics and post

and BTW please post ur tips too :-D

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  4. Sudha Kailas

Sudha Kailas IL Hall of Fame

Swaran, thats very informative.
    What I do is to wipe them clean of sweat or perfume and put them back in their ziplock bags and then inside the allotted pouch. I know it is tedious and boring but that is how I take care of my ornaments...

5. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sudha ji...thanks for the useful tip :thumbsup...sorry i forgot to mention this tip...i also do the same..after i remove the accessories..i wipe them and keep them out in air for sometime before putting them back in their places

6. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi , good thread:) I keep my art earings in a small box in which I pin each one to a small plastic earring holder. Gold/pearl earrings I keep in a velvet earring holder which has flaps on 4sides with button. And costly and hanging earrings I keep in a separate box with plastic covers for each one.

Chains I keep in their respective boxes. If there are any studs matching to them I keep them along with the chains.

Bangles/bracelets that I daily use are kept ont he dressing table in a jute bangle holder, where as those which are gaudy and those comes in dozens are kept in a plastic bangle bag. And costly bracelets int heir box:)

Let me include buns and clips too which are used for hair. Buns of different color I keep in a small box where as clips I arranged in another box, so that I can take them out whenever required without putting the place upside down:biglaugh

PS: Whenever I carry chains/earrings I cover them in face tissues and keeps them in a pouch.

7. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

thanks amihere...u have given wonderful tips :)

yes,this is wat i dont do for my regular-use earings and mostly keep searching for the pair and end up wearing the same old regular gold earing...:bonk...but how do u keep the hook earings...then dont seem to remain properly in the plastic earing holder and that too in a box with other earings,...any tip for tat?..or am i not keeping them properly? :-D

thats a real nice tip...maintaining different types of bangles in different types of holders...easy to search...maybe i ll try this :))

sorry forgot to mention as i dont do much to my hair :-D..yes clips,bands,hairpins i maintain in a seperate plastic box

:bowdown wow this is indeed a wonderful tip :thumbsup....i def need to start implementing this...i usually just carry them in a box..need to wrap them properly and take...

How abt bangles...how do u take them while travelling????

8. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Dear Swaran,
    you are right about hook earrings, it comes off the plastic holder most of the time. Whenever I open the box I keep it in place, also another thing I does is to cut the earring holder for hook one's a little wider so they remains tight.

During travel I generally carry stone bracelets so that everything can be put in a pouch and there is no worry of it getting borken. If at all I have to carry bangles I take them in small jewellery bangle box and somehow find space in my luggage:hide:

9. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Lot of nice inputs from you all.

I am crazy of accessories so are my 2 dds. We love bangles a lot and must & should match with our silk saress & pattu pavadais.

We have got lot of bangle boxes and store them in these. Whenever we travel, we put the required bangles in one bangle box (it is like a pouch) and carry the same. No worries of bangles breaking with this.

My main worry is my earrings because I change daily for my colour of dress and find it diffult to store as the stone starts falling out because I have put everything together.

Ami: if you can kindly post a photo of earring holder it would show more light on this.

For costly necklaces I put them in a box with lots of cotton and tissues so that it does not get damaged or the velvet boxes given for gold jewellery.

10. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

wont the earings get off easier if u make them wider...sorry maybe i dint understand it correctly :bonk :-D...can u plz explain more or maybe share a pic