1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Reg Annaprasanamin Guruvayur

Discussion in 'Infants' started by seeabitha, Jul 28, 2010.

1. seeabitha

seeabitha Bronze IL'ite

Hi friends,

Gautham is 3 1/2 months old.
    My mom wanna to give the first annam in Guruvayur ("Annaprasanam" ) for him

I have checked the website and found details
    But if any of you have experience about it .Please share .Like things that we have to carry to temple ,(is dhoti required for kid), waiting time in queue etc

----abitha

2. sri112

sri112 Junior IL'ite

Abitha,

We had done DD's Annaprasam in Guruvayur in Oct 2009. Let me tell you what I remember.
    Her Annaprasam was on a Suday. We reached Guruvayur on Saturday evening and took a token for her Annaprasam for the next day.
    On Sunday we reached the temple premises at 5.30 and let me tell you being a sunday there were about a 100 kids for Annaprasam alone,not to mention the normal crowd. So if its feasible, make it on a weekday pref Mon- Wed when the crowd is a bit less.
    They conduct the Annaprasam in batches of around 10 babies and we got our turn in the 3rd. batch. It hardly takes around 10-15 mins. You don't have to carry anything in particular. The dhoti is not mandatory but i must admit that babies look real cute in them. You can buy that from any of the shops outside the temple. As u might be aware camera is not allowed inside the temple. But they have in-house photographers who take pics and courier them to you.
    After the Annaprasam is over , the mother and the baby get to enter the main temple from a special entrance. You dont have to wait in the queue..Ohh thats one special treat for you! :)

Hope this helps....Lemme know if u require any other details in particular.

3. seeabitha

seeabitha Bronze IL'ite

Thank you very much sri for your reply.
    Unfortunately i have planned for saturday :( My hubby cannot afford for a leave
    Planning for Sep 4 2010 .
    I am reaching Guruvayur by saturday early morning and planning to get the token by that time .

finally one more question(sorry abt that )
    Can we get the token and stay in the room and reach the temple later ?(will they announce the time once we get the token)
    or should we have to wait till our turn comes

4. sri112

sri112 Junior IL'ite

I dont think they give u a specific time while taking the token...u can reach there any time ...its on first come first serve basis....so yes u can go to ur room after taking the token....but the annaprasam is done only when the temple 'nada' is open....(i hope u got what i meant). So be sure of the timings.
    Have a nice time at Guruvayur!

5. PeeVee

PeeVee Senior IL'ite

Abitha,
    we went on a wednesday or thrusday and reached there only around 9.30-10. You will see a big queue outside the temple itself. But when you go for annaprasanam, you can go through a small entrance (faces east) to the left of the main entrance. By the time we entered, almost everyone had finsihed with the annaprasanam and we never had to wait. As Sri said it was a matter of just 10-15 minutes..you can buy a mundu if you wish..also the photographers are there and they will post you the pics..you can enter the nalambalam through a special entrance..but be careful, this special line is only until you reach the entrance to the nalambalam...from there you join the regular crowd and make sure that you hold the baby well..no one cares for a baby in your hand..if you have already been there, you know how bad the crowd there..so dont ever think of letting some odler person to go through the special line with the kid..they wont be able to manage themself with the kid when it meets the regular crowd at the entrance..we also had thulabharam for which we had to wait about 45-50min in line..good luck..

6. seeabitha

seeabitha Bronze IL'ite

Thanks both of you for ur reply

7. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    ggod to know that you are taking your dear one to the temple. You have got all the details from others who have done it. I just want to tell something - while feeding the prasadam to the baby, please remember to feed a little of the hot tasting prasadam also. People usually give only sweet taste to a child. But the prasadam is given with all types of tastes so that the child gets all experiences in life.
    When we did the annaprashanam for my son 18 years before, we gave him all the food and though he cried a little. it was not a problem. Now he eats all varieties of food and that is very helpful for him, he can manage anywhere,
    And do remember to make the child run its hands thro the manjadi seeds kept there, to ensure a long life for the baby. May Lord Guruvayurappan bless you and your family!

8. seeabitha

seeabitha Bronze IL'ite

Hi all,

We went to Guruvayur as planned and we went to vacation too after that (My in -law home is in kanyakumari)

Luckily we didnot have much crowd both in the temple and we were the only one in annaprasanam

We also gave Thulabaram (Plantain)

Thanks for all ur suggestion

9. mithrakathir

mithrakathir New IL'ite

hai i am planning to take my 5 month girl to guruvayur ,any special dress for girls like mundu for boys

10. divyaprashmenon

divyaprashmenon Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    No special dress for girls...If you wish,you can make her wear the lil kasavu mundu..

Divya