1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing a Sewing Machine - Embroidery / Normal

Discussion in 'Sewing & Stitching' started by Mallika29, Oct 15, 2007.

1. hemalathaK

hemalathaK Platinum IL'ite

Re: Wanted to know the best sewing machine.

Thank you so much for your guidance but Does it contain embroidary functions ? Will embroidary functioning sewing machine be very useful for us? Can someone without any knowledge in embroidary follow that and will it be easy to learn doing embroidary?please tell me.

I am very much interested in embroidary also so I am asking this question.If the embroidary is easy to follow then we can go for two in one sewing machine know that's why?Can you guide me please?

2. muscat99

muscat99 New IL'ite

Do you mean the computerized machine embroidery? You can find many designs for free and low cost on the internet. You can see emblibrary.com for good quality designs. If you do decide on machine embroidery, do NOTdownload free designs from random websites as most are viruses or spyware, etc.

Here is a good model combination sewing/embroidery machine.

Walmart.com: Brother Computerized Sewing and Embroidery Machine, SE-400: Appliances

3. hemalathaK

Thanks Saida,

Even my eyes were on the same SE400 machine whenever I go to walmart's website.Thanks for your advise about downloading embroidary patterns from internet.I was not aware of that.

4. anaconda1997

anaconda1997 Senior IL'ite

Singer 8280 fashion maker

what is the review?

anyone has it?

please guide me as am gonna buy it

Singer® Sewing Co.

5. muscat99

muscat99 New IL'ite

You would LOVE this machine! I have a similar model, SE-350, which is exactly the same as the 400 model. The difference is that the 400 has a USB cord to connect to your computer to transfer designs to the machine. For my model, I had to buy a $100 converter.

Being able to sew AND embroider is great. Some people always complain that this macine is limited, can only sew 4" x 4" designs, etc, but it stil sews great quality, beautiful designs that would take many months to do by hand. You can combine designs to make a wall hanging, quilt, kameez design, etc. You can buy some big machines that have larger embroidery areas, but unless you are starting a home business or very serious about machine embroidery, I think it is mostly un-necessary. Get this small machine to start. In a few years, if you want to upgrade, you can. If not, then you'll be very glad you bought this one, and not the very expensive ones!

Another advantage is that this machine fits into a carry on suitcase. I can travel easily wth my machine! The embroidery part does not fit in the same bag though.

One major drawback about the larger machines is they have more moving parts, which means more things to break down. I just had to pay $240 to fix my large machine! And that leads me to mention the following: do NOT use cheap thread! Here in Qatar, we get various embroidery threads from Pakistan and India, but the most color selection is from Coats Doli. Using that, and having it constantly break off, shred, and jam up my machine, caused the timing to go off and break down the machine.

Now, I ONLY use Madeira thread. The cheapest place to buy it is Brothermall2.com. I also buy all my other embroidery supplies from the same website. Be careful buying supplies from ebay. Most times, Brothermall2.com's prices are lower!

So...if you would like to do both sewing, AND computerized machine embroidery, go for this machine. I'll try to upload some photos of my stuff.

Good luck, and write again if you have more questions.

6. hemalathaK

Thank you so much saida,
    You gave me a lot of information unknown to me.Your information is really helpful to me.You explained very well.I copied your post and saved it for future use.Once again thanks a lot.

7. PPrasath

PPrasath Senior IL'ite

Sewing machine to buy at chennai- suggestions please

Hi Ladies,
    All my childhood there is a special place for the dresses one of my aunt who had no girl kids used to make for me..
    Now it is my turn to be a sweet aunt like mine.
    I want to learn tayloring and thread work

Now can i ask for guidence on selecting a sewing machine

USHA or singer or any other brand?
    - I am looking for simple machine which can be extended for other functionalities (is it possible) not the basic and not the high end
    - Easy to use
    - Which is there is market for sometime now
    - Service center available within Chennai

Cheers
    Thara

8. hemalathaK

Saida,
    I am going to buy the machine only in december since there will be some offers on thanks giving day.After buying the machine only, I am going to have lots of doubts about how to fix,how to stitch etc etc...

Now I got the hope that I can avoid so many mistakes with your help.Hope you would help me.
    Thanks a lot again.

9. muscat99

muscat99 New IL'ite

That's a great idea! The day after Thanksgiving usually is a good day for sales. Since you know which machine you want, keep an eye for websites with sales. I'll be here to answer any questions.

You can also find various yahoo groups for machine embroidery in general, as well as machine specific groups. I started in 2002, and it seems like we were all learning then, so the groups were very useful. Good luck!

10. muscat99

muscat99 New IL'ite

P.S. One BIG tip I learned in the beginning was to save all your old clothes, towels, etc. You can test the embroidery on those, and if it comes out OK, do it on your good stuff.