1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Questions on H4 to F1?

Discussion in 'Immigration Matters' started by kanthi, May 3, 2007.

1. aparnanc

aparnanc Bronze IL'ite

I think you should approach an immigration lawyer since they will have more experience in this area. We could have guided you if there were any problems with the documents.

Good luck with the process and hope you get it this time around. Don't worry too much.

2. joinamruta

joinamruta New IL'ite

Hi Meghna,
    You might try a lawyer.One lawyer seems good to me.Visit this website for his contact. San Francisco Bay Area Immigration Attorney. These days there are indian radio has started i Bay Area 1170 AM.This lawyer hosts a very popular law show ad many people had questios similar to you and resolved them.

Hope this helps you,Best of luck!!.

I wanted to ask you a question.This is for me,I am planning to do Ms .You said you completed one year of your studies on H4 so were applied the in state tution fees?And when you converted to F1 what fees you were required to pay?.If after converting to F1 if one does not leave the country will the person get OPT?

Thankyou

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2010
  3. meghasharma

meghasharma New IL'ite

Hi Joinamruta,

Thanks for the advice.

I was on H4 for 1st sem and then applied for f1 for two consecutive semesters. the tution fees actually depends on the uny. In my uny. the tution fee for International students and residents is the same. But it is not the same for every uny. in other uny. tution fee for residents is lower.

Yes, if you are on F1 and does not leave the country u can apply for OPT. this was my mistake i think that I came on vacation and applied for stamping and the chances are there to get a rejection despite of you having F1 approved by USCIS.

4. joinamruta

joinamruta New IL'ite

Hi Megha ,
    Thanks for the reply!

5. reehana

reehana New IL'ite

Hi Megha,

I am on H4 Visa currently doing masters.I am planing to change to F1status to get opt .what did u mention in your letter to uscis?means what to say the reason why you want to change from H4 to F1?If possible can u tell me what did u write in the letter to uscis.

Please reply............waiting ...

Thanks,
    Reehana

6. meghasharma

meghasharma New IL'ite

Hi Reehana,

Sorry for the late reply.

The specifications you should focus on is the education that you pursue will help build a career boost which will help you getting good job in your home country.. and also most important show that you are motivated to study or the course you are applying for, also add that F1 gives us the opportunity to get 1 yr of OPT, dats a very good option as US exp. will add value to my career bak in my home country.

Hope this is helpful!! lemme know if you require something else..

7. dew09

dew09 New IL'ite

Hi Megha

U have given very useful information ,thanks alot

Even i was confused abt changing from H4 to F1 in between the course and was doubtful if this is allowed or not .......finally answers cleared my doubts

So we can start off pursuing MS /MBA on H4 visa for less tution fee and in between we can change from H4 to F1 to get OPT
    Please confirm me on this

And another doubt being on H4 and our name in I140 wont cause any problem when applying for F1 visa in US and while attending interview in US in US embassy.
    Please clear me on this also

8. mahdee

mahdee New IL'ite

Hi,
    I have applied for change of status last month (sep 2010) from h4 to f1. I will be travelling to India this dec for my B-i-l marriage. My question is..I haven't got my F1 yet..its still in the processing stage...so

-What are the chances to get F1 by Dec?
    - What is the other alternative, if i don't get my F1? do I have to come on H4 and apply again for Change of status? or get F1 visa stamped :bonk

Please send me the procedure to follow....:idea

Thank you,
    Mahdee

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  9. mrskirans

mrskirans New IL'ite

Hi Megha, did u get ur visa now, I am planning to get my F1 stamped, same as u did, little nervous, please advise...

Kiran

10. divyarnair

divyarnair Silver IL'ite

HI
    Can someone guide me on procedure to get OPT ?
    Information about universities will also be helpful.