Cbse schools -the new grading system

Discussion in 'Schools/Playschools/Daycares' started by Shanvy, Feb 7, 2010.

What do you feel about the new grading system

1. Good. I am happy about the changes

52.4%
  2. No. This will not help the student.

33.3%
  3. So-So. this will fizzle out.

4.8%
  4. I am not bothered.

9.5%
  1. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

ahhh Shanthi.. with education system changing to a +ve side.. our vacation plans take a bad hit na.. that too when you and kids are waiting for the time to visit your DH :(

Hope this time you can make it for a few days atleast.. cheer up!

2. reachtmeena

reachtmeena New IL'ite

Hi Shanthi,

Thanks for sharing the info. It all looks so confusing for parents like me, who are yet to put their wards into school.(still trying for admission in LKG for my kid)

Recently i checked with CV, Anna nagar, where my nephew is doing his 4th grade. For them the school closes on 27th March, and next academic year commences on 1st April. They have their summer vacation during May and school reopens again in June 2nd week. My niece who has also been admitted in CV for her LKG, 2010 starts her academic year in April.

Though it has been orally informed, my SIL says they are yet to receive a written intimation on this.

I am not sure if all the CBSE schools are going to follow a similar pattern. if so why have we not been informed till now.

rgrds,
    Meena

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

meena,

As i reply, almost all the schools have given their circular. the schools closes for this academic year from the 20th - 27th. and the next academic year starts on the april 1st-4th (since inbetween there is good friday holiday i suppose) and the school closes on april end.

All schools following cbse pattern are going to follow the pattern.

4. devaradhan

devaradhan Senior IL'ite

Dear Shanthi,
    Thanks a ton for starting this thread. I always have some or the other query pertaining to education. As you said, even my son would be in this first batch (he is in 9th grade now). Just dont know how its going to be. One way I feel the pressure is less compared to last year.
    Pls keep sharing your views on this thread as we all (UAE moms) are very eager to know the happenings in chennai.
    Thanks once again for your detailed information on the new CBSE pattern.
    Cheers!
    Devi

5. devaradhan

devaradhan Senior IL'ite

Dear Shanthi,

Thanks a ton for starting this thread. I always have some or the other query pertaining to education. As you said, even my son would be in this first batch (he is in 9th grade now). Just dont know how its going to be. One way I feel the pressure is less compared to last year.

Pls keep sharing your views on this thread as we all (UAE moms) are very eager to know the happenings in chennai.
    Thanks once again for your detailed information on the new CBSE pattern.
    Cheers!:cheers

Devi

6. rose2000

rose2000 Silver IL'ite

Dear Shanvy,

I am in the process of collecting the schools for our R2I next year. I am confused by the new grading system in the CBSE schools. We were thinking of moving around april-may so that my dd can start school in June. So now looking at the new grading system I am thinking we should be moving before april?
    Has all the CBSE schools in chennai started following this new grade system?
    Any other info will be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Sri

7. goldc

goldc Senior IL'ite

HI

This change in the CBSE system seems nice , a welcome change for the better.Reading the post i understand that the curriculum of the present Delhi board are trying to synchronize a close to similar pattern we follow the A levels in UK. Not all are same, happy this is taking place now especially where in India children are tortured with much cramming and heavy exam schedules with taxing portions. Hope this goes in good stride where application of knowledge is practised.

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

almost all the schools in chennai have started following this. but still all of them have the tests for periodical review. only the review now has changed. you get marks for activities, and your performance in the test.

this year since my dd is in 10th, they have started collecting copies of their certificates of merit that she received in the 9th from the school or outside the school, all this go in to mark the cce card. i have not yet received the card, though i have already seen it. will definitely scan and post a copy for all of you when i receive it.

the school starts around the first week of april and continue till the first week of may or end of april and then the vacation starts.

goldc

i am still not sure if it is a welcome change. we need a year or two to really understand the impact of this. but there is a unsatisfied feeling among the hardworking students, with the grading, a person who gets 90 and a person who gets 98 stand in the same grade and the recognition does not happen. this is what i heard from one of the girls who got 9.9% in last year results.

to many activity oriented classes, and there is still pressure to perform. who said there is no pressure. the schools now want every child to get 10.0%. there are more inter-school competitions and things.

i am not sure if every child is using his knowledge. one thing i understand an assignment now has become easier with the number of guides and goolge the almighty at the hands of these children.

though as a parent i am not bothered whether my children get 10 or 7 i am worried at the way things are taking shape. more finetuning should take place.

9. revathijayagopi

revathijayagopi Gold IL'ite

hi

surely cbse grading system is a welcome change, but how will they give admission in colleges depending on the grades. here in chennai, state board students as such have better advantage while seeking admission in anna university because it is easier to score in state board exam than cbse. how is cbse going to equalize the cbse grades and state board marks, so that everybody gets a fair chance. unless this point is cleared, there is no use of grading system.

revathi.

10. n.yamuna

n.yamuna New IL'ite

dear shanti

hope your dd is doing good, according to me this new system (cancelling the board exams) has only giving more stress, coz known devil is better than an unknown devil. till last year the portions were used to get over by oct-nov and both school and students will have plenty of time for their revision, and mock exams will be like a booster before they attend the actual final exams, now in the name of summative assesment they give straightaway exams with tuff question papers(again each school is following their own question papers even though its from the cbse question bank) correction is strict in one school and normal in another school, but now 2nd term portions have just started which they have to finesh before mid of january(atleast), In my sons school they have given the dates as on 28th february for his SA2, I feel as though this batch children have become frogs in the laboratory.

what is the situation in your dd school please share your experience

with regards
    yamuna

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010