Creating edu. aids for children/e-learning-Anyone working in these fields?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by racr, May 9, 2010.

1. racr

racr Platinum IL'ite

Hi everyone,
    Is there anyone out here who is working or knows about the e-learning industry?Specifically I'm interested in those related to creating Educational Aids for children(books ,visual media etc).I want to get into this field,and I have no clue how to start.Qualifications,what is required,how to get into a company etc..
    I have been in the IT field with about 9 years of experience. I'm sure that will help me here,but beyond that I'm clueless!
    Currently,I'm on a break after my kid(3rd year running)
    Thanks in advance!

2. Arunadhri

Arunadhri Bronze IL'ite

Visit this site:
    http://www.arvindguptatoys.com/

Explore the different sections. Try out some of the experiments. Loads of fun. You kid can join in.

My wife and I (both are scientists) do work with some schools for teaching aids. Mostly physical science practicals relevant to syllabi.

Arunadhri

3. racr

racr Platinum IL'ite

Hello Arunadhri,
    Thanks for responding. Arvind Gupta is an amazing individual,have visited his site before and have one of his books as well.As you suggest,will try it out too.I want to use my time productively and engage children to discover the joy of learning,not just studying for the sake of it(I have been one such disinterested student :)). It would be great of you could give me tips/guidance as to how I could do that..am not of a scientific bent of mind,but I could try!

4. sofiz

sofiz Senior IL'ite

What sort of work have you been doing in the IT field, racr?

5. racr

racr Platinum IL'ite

Hi Sofiz,
    Don't laugh,but I was working in mainframes and datawarehousing. Really ancient stuff,but in the past few years,I was doing more of functional stuff-designs etc.. I'm familiar with object oriented methodology and JAVA,but no coding experience. IF I had really been committed to this field,I should have learnt the latest technologies,but I guess my heart was never in it.
    So,I decided to give up the thought of coming back to IT services sector after quitting due to my kid.Now its a clean slate,and I dont know what to do,how to start.:(

6. Arunadhri

Arunadhri Bronze IL'ite

One need not be a working scientist to have a scientific attitude. Many scientists themselves lack that. Teaching aids need not be for teaching science alone. Can you please post some more details on what age group you are aiming at and what areas of study?
    In the meantime I hall also keep thinking about this and get back to you in a short while.

Regards,
    Arunadhri

7. vv123

vv123 New IL'ite

Hi Racr,

I am also sailing in the same boat. I was in IT for 5 yrs but after my kid did not have the guts to get back to it. Now I have a break for more than 4 yrs. Did you decide what you are going to do further ?

VV