Painful incident

Discussion in 'Places & Events' started by kgp, Oct 10, 2010.

1. kgp

kgp Senior IL'ite

A painful incident

Last week we went to Kapaleeswarar temple to do 'Thevasam' for my FIL. Regularly we used to do it there. It was 9am when we reached there and we were wondering if any iyers would be available at that time as it was late. We bought flowers and enquired the vendor if any iyer avl for doing rituals. He said yes sir, I will get it organized meantime you buy necessary items. We went to the market and bought vegetables and other items necessary for doing the rituals, except Rice and Dall.

When we came back the vendor, he introduced an iyer and he asked us to enter inside the tank. We told him that we have not bought the rice and dall, for which he said you go inside sir, i will get it done.

The rituals started and he started chanting mantras. Just 2 mins later, he started telling 'he is an agent...' we were thinking probably he is giving explanation of the mantras. (some of the iyers used to give explanation for each mantra while doing the ritual, for us to understand the meaning and purpose of doing each item. This also we thought in that point). When we asked him further, you know what he said 'the guy who introduced you to me is an agent, who collects commission from me, as he referred you to me. So you please dont tell him how much you pay me as 'Dakshina' (fees). We felt very bad on this attitude from such a person at this juncture. He didnt even completed the rituals, he was only concerned about money. I can bear it atleast if he tells this after completion of rituals, but this makes me very upset. Ok let us keep aside.

At the end, my husband took 200 rupees as fees (i think 200 rs is definitely not a meager amount of fees). He asked my husband how much you are going to pay me. When he heard my husband telling '200 rs', you know what did he say? 'you add another 100 rupess, as I have brought rice and dall'.. he didn't stop here, told us to pay 10 rs to a lady who cleans (sweeps) the Tank. He even called that lady by her name, asked her to collect 10 rupees from her.

I have very high esteem on Iyers who are in purohitham and other hindu customs. But I ashamed of this kind of silly attitude from such a person. Really dont know what to say for such people. There is another Iyer who is so much concerned on money (this guy used to fight with his co-iyer for getting his share! Ofcourse this also infront of us)

2. shantisubra

shantisubra Gold IL'ite

Dear KGP

I am sorry about what happened.. but cannot understand why you should crib for a mere Rs.310/-? Rs. 200/- as dakshina is not a big amount in these days' cost of living and Rs,100/- he got for Rice and dhal. Rs.10/- given to the cleaning lady....... that's it.

If the flower vendor takes commission, whats wrong in it? At the least, you went and enquired him that too after 9:00AM..... so you expected him to give you a lead!!!!! These days those executives who are in big companies in top positions, take commision including Govt. deals (Bofors is one example). If a flower vendor takes Rs.20/- or so, what do you lose? You saved the time and energy in looking for a brahmin and getting the rice and dhal, right. You know whats the price of these essentials? You know what a brahmin undergoes to come to this level? How much time it takes for him to learn all these vedams and perform?

Pls. dont feel painful or agitated.......... you are doing for your ancestors once a year, and do with full respect and not counting money. Next year, please book a brahmin a week before the date and perform as per his demands, without giving any commission.

But I support you that the brahmin should not have talked about this in the middle of the rituals. Did you tell him about that later?

Best Regards
    Shanti

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  3. kgp

kgp Senior IL'ite

Thanks shanthi for sharing your thoughts.

It is not at all a matter of money Shanthi. I very well know and understand we should pay wherever needed. Absolutely no doubt on that. But am only bothered about the way he asked, and the time he asked. That is all.

Hope you got my point.

Regards

4. swethakalyanee

swethakalyanee New IL'ite

Hi KGP,

Its been a while I read the posts in Indusladies. It might be so irrelevant to post a reply to your thread so late. But, I completely agree to your point that these iyers/ purohithars don't do justice to their sacred jobs.

@Shanthi,

I have been reading your replies to posts and blogs. Sorry to say that you always try to offend people without understanding what people try to convey or their message.

It would be great to read the posts patiently and reply when only you have something valid to comment on.

5. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Hello ladies,

Similar kind of things happened when we went to Vaitheswaran Kovil. It is all money now. Priests has to deal with the agents who are not part of the temple. It is the "Economy" make them act like that. If the priest don't pay, then agents wouldn't let them perform the rituals. We felt so bad in Vaitheswaran Kovil. they harassed us. What can we do? What can priests do?

Now days, we donate the money to needy family than performing any rituals. But in our heart, we want to follow some customs of our family. Don't feel bad about the priest's behavior. At least he did the ritual.

After all doing this ritual make you feel good. That is more important than money or society.
    Good Day!!!!!

6. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi,

i felt shanthi is right.

7. rama12

rama12 New IL'ite

Hi,
    It is not just priests at the temple who behave like this. Private priests who come to our houses to perform ceremonies are very greedy. They want to do minimum work and demand a lot. We don't hesitate to give whatever they demand but they are supposed to follow certain rules which they don't. For example, some of them eat breakfast out before doing the ceremonies. I have seen in the US, temple priests treat people according to how much money they get from them for dhakshina.

8. SrividyaNKumar

SrividyaNKumar Silver IL'ite

I agree with Rama. We do it every year for my fil. We use get it done by a private Priest. But, we really felt bad the previous year, when he didn't even cook a proper food which the other priest will eat(that's the only meal for them for that day). We always pay him what he asks(no penny less) around 600 $. But, the job was the worst. He didn't make few items which is a much for this ritual. Also, burnt one of the curry and over all it was very bad. He is really a person of attitude. You'll see him all the time with cell phone and Laptop.

So we decided to change the priest. Last 2 yrs we are doing at the temple(only the preethi part) here and arrange for a poor feeding in India. And this gives us more satisfaction.

Vidyaa

9. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

I'm curious-any place we can look up how much preists and other folks in temples get paid? I assume since the Govt runs the Hindu temples there must be a centralized salary scheme, right? Anyone know?
    R