1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

DS gets us insomnia

Discussion in 'Infants' started by vanishri2025, Oct 8, 2010.

1. vanishri2025

vanishri2025 New IL'ite

Hi All,
    My 8 mnth son is not sleeping early these days it goes upto 12,1am sometimes...if we make him sleep early say 10pm he gets up by 10.45,he sleeps thrice in day morning between 10-12.30,4-6pm and again one small nap before 8pm... couldnt avoid this last nap as he becomes sleepy and sleeps at 8/9 and again gets up..
    except this problem he is sweet little.
    pls tell me how to handle this.....sometimes it gets my temper up and i end up in thrashing him on his butt..:spin

Vanishree

2. rashmigl

rashmigl New IL'ite

Hi Vanishree
    I am also a Jan 2010 mommy :) with my second baby (Jan 16th to be precise) nice to meet another!!!
    Oh pls dont spank the little one.. I know its absolutely difficult when these kids just dont sleep.
    I was just wondering if it has anything to do with his feeds. Probably it is hunger which keeps him awake? What you cud try is that you cud give his feed a little late by 9 PM and then play with him for a while (if you cud squeeze in time) and tire him a little.He would probably go to sleep after that.

All the best!!! Do let me know if you were successful...or if you have tried any other trick ;-)

regards

3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Sounds like he is old enough that you should eliminate one of the naps. See if that helps. He probably is just not sleepy enough now that he is a little older.

4. vanishri2025

vanishri2025 New IL'ite

Hey Rashmi,
    My son is born on jan 14th,thanks for your reply but lately he has got problem with his bottle feed too.(not drinking much just about 100-120ml) i give him around 10pm,dnt know if this has got anything to do with teething ,how you feed your son ?

5. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Hi, I agree here with Tashidelek. My DS too would go to sleep at around 7 pm and wake up at 8.30 and struggle to sleep past 12 midnight... So we made 6.30 his dinner time and put him to bed at 7.30, that helped him sleep till midnight. and thereafter wake up every two hours to feed! That is a different story. Try to give at least a hour between meals and nap/bedtime. Some children just dont do well trying to sleep on a full stomach. I do think 10 pm is not early bedtime for young ones... Try advancing it to 8 pm and see if that works better for the two of you.

6. rashmigl

rashmigl New IL'ite

Although my daughter is also a poor sleeper during the day she sleeps well during the night. I have not bottle fed her, and now I have started her on solid food , I give her around 3 to 4 small feeds, her last feed at around 10 pm after which she goes to sleep.
    She gets up in between but I feed her to sleep. Havent you started him on solid food, probably you should try giving him something in the night before you put him to sleep. All the best :)...

7. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Looks like it's time to ditch the 8 pm nap..8 pm should be the bed time and not a nap time. Also, don't expect your 8 month old to sleep through the night without any wakings. Babies do wake up multiple times until they are little older.

Also feed him dinner by 6:30 PM and the bottle by 7:30. Don't overfeed him in hope that he will sleep better. Also the frequent wakings might be due to teething. Check his gums. And get a baby gel (like orajel) to rub on his gums if he is teething.

If you can post his complete feeding and sleep schedule then one of us can help you.

Hang on this too shall pass..

8. vanishri2025

vanishri2025 New IL'ite

Thanks sudha,
    Here is his daily schedule...
    8.15 wake up and bf
    9.30 fm (now he is not taking more than 100-120ml)
    10.30 sleeps
    12pm wakes up
    12.30 solids(khicdi,curd rice,bisi bele bath...)
    1.30 baths
    3.pm nap time
    4.30 wake up has 100ml formula
    plays and have fruits around 6pm and sleeps around 6.30
    7.15-7.30 wake up
    8pm dinner(oats,nestum)....
    10pm formula (not more than 100-150ml max,earlier used to take 200+ wondering why may be he is disliking the bottle?)and sleep time ranges from 11pm to 12,he gets up in thenight 2-3 times and i bf.
    and he has got 5 teeths emerged(3 top,2 bottom).

So please advise me any changes....

vanishree