1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Books to teach reading skills

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Priyasaran, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Priyasaran

Priyasaran New IL'ite

Hi all,
    My kids are 4 and half years now and i think this would be a right time to teach how to read. So can anybody suggest a book series in india to teach them to read. i knew about oxford reading tree in states but do we have anything like that in India. Any helps and tips would be really appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    Priyasaran.

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Priya, graded reading books from Cambridge university, Scholastic, DK, Heinemann are all available in most book stores. We found the Thamb, Thamb Thambi/Thangi series from Tulika a great place to start. I did go the Oxford Book Stores here to look for Read and Write Inc. books, but they tell me they dont have all of their internationally selling series available in India. HTH

3. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

What is the right age to start teaching reading?
    Like I was having my niece's book y'day and showing A for apple .....to my surprise ...she said 'appal' and then when I showed A or the pic of apple she is able to say 'Appal' ... this is not reading, I sgree ...but I was wondering on how far I have to go with books for a 1 year old?

4. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

Ramya, lil A doesnt have to be 'reading' like you say.. but I think you can expose her to various board books.. she will like all the colourful pictures.. everyday just turn the pages and read the names pointing to the picture.. may be to start with do only one book for a week.. she will give you a clue that she got enough of the book, then move to the next book.. there are lot of touch and feel board books.. that again will get her all excited.. thru all your reading, she will only be observing and grasping.. you will see her quickly respond to the books (that she has seen before) when she starts talking.. exposing young toddlers to books early will get them interested in book reading habits..