1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

He is not his old self anymore......why? or am I imaginging as he says????.......

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by meena2, Sep 24, 2010.

1. meena2

meena2 Senior IL'ite

Ilites I need your help this time.

I live in the east coast US, and my dh has gone to west coast, US on a tour related to his work. It is 6 months we are in this kind of set up. He is there and I am here. Earlier, we used to talk over phone, skype, emails etc for hours together after his work. But, these days for past 1 month he does not show any interest in talking to me. Ofcourse, he is the one who makes a call but the call last less than 5 mins. I have tried asking him about his work, health, and other things just to know if anything is bothering him. But, everything seems to be going good. He is very happy he has been made the project head which he was always aiming. I am also happy for him.

He used to visit me once in 15 days, almost every other week. Now, he comes home once a month. I tried going to his place last month and stayed for a week. I found his work going good and he is in good health too. I cannot go and stay there longer. Though I do not work here but my kid's school is here and moreover our house is here. I told him he needs to visit us every 15 days like earlier and he says company will pay him only once a month. I said so what? We will bear the expenses other times. He does not agree.
    Ilites, Frankly we can bear one time if the company pays the other time. I told him I will visit him if he is not coming and he just changed the topic.
    One time I got so mad. I did not allow him to move out of the room and asked him very directly what is his problem? He started kissing me, fondling and got away without answering me.

He talks fine with kid. When it comes to me he will ask if I have anything important to say. What important things will I have everyday. So, when I start saying about friends, neighbors, relatives phone calls or parents calls he will try to end it as quickly as possible. If it is related to kid's school then he will listen and advise me what to do. But if it is related to his work or any new offer he has got he will go on and on as to how he dealt with it and I have to listen to him. One time I asked him why he does not show interest when I go on and on like that and why he is considering what I have to say as unimportant. He said OK then I will not bother you with my side anymore. You can hang up the phone now. I cried like hell that day after I hung up angrily. I think he sensed that and called after 15 mins and asked why I was being silly and said sorry and asked me stop crying.
    He does not scold me or snub me but somehow I am sensing he is not interested to talk to me longer.

I tried asking even directly once after my trip back from his place and he says I am imagining things and everything is as usual and he is the same husband I knew. He says I am unnecessarily creating a rift by talking like this.

Please Ilites help me. Tell me how to get this resolved. He says everything is fine then why does he not talk much to me like earlier. I feel he is avoiding me. He is not interested in any miscellaneous talk anymore. He only needs me to speak about the so called 'important' things and what is that??????
    How can I have important things everyday?
    Other than work related stuff he is very interested if I initiate sex talk. But I feel so lonely after the phone call is done. I cannot be happy just sex talking long distance and not having him near me. So, I told him this. I said I need him near me when I even talk about sex. So, he stopped talking that these days. Really, I feel so lonely and even scared after he hangs up talking sensually. I feel the distance more farther from him.

Another thing I have to say here. I had a bad temper and always I was the one to lose temper in our marriage. He keeps cool. But over these years I know him well and he knows me and my temperment too. I have to say and admit that he has adjusted immensely with me. Even when I had issues with his parents he dealt them very well and always was by my side. I can say that he kind of pampered me throught out these years. He gave me whatever I asked for..... Somehow, I wanted to have a house in India I wished we buy a house in India too when we went few years back and told dh and he applied for loan and had it done. Inlaws started saying who will mantain it when you guys are gone and it is a huge house. Why do you need that when you are not living in it? DH's answer was Meena wants it and so I got it for her. It is not that I cannot afford to pay off that house. When I can and she wants it then why not?
    Clearly, inlaws were not happy with their son talking like this since FIL was explaining finances and maintanance charges etc. And so when I suggested they live there they did not agree and now live in their 2 bedroom apartment. So, we got in touch with some broker and rented that house. I told inlaws you can live in that and when we visit we all can live together but inlaws seem to have got hurt since dh did not take FIL's advise in not buying such big house and instead fulfilled my wish. Am I at fault for that? We had similar issues too where I would say one thing and inlaws would be quite opposite to it but dh would go by me. That created friction in our relationship with his parents.
    Emotionally he was by me till now but I see a change in him now. Is he reacting to all that now??? I would not wish to live anymore if he changed to that extent. I love him and want him by me always.

His work there will last another year or so. What will be my situation then??? I am really getting worried over all this. I am confused and don't understand how to get through this. Am I worrying meaninglessly or is there a reason??? Pls. suggest something Ilites.....

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010

2. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Meena,
    With your post I could sense that you are missing him very very badly and you are not that strong to stay away from him for another one year. But to fulfill financial commitments, probably he might have thought to be away from you so can make some money. So, probably he is just hiding his love towards you because if he is also emotional infront of you definitely you wont allow him to stay away. No doubt, he is also missing you very very badly. Just think twice about continuing this kind of setup, try to wrap up as early as possible and be unite.
    There is nothing wrong in your relationship and he is not avoiding you anymore, he is just hiding his feelings.
    Try think from his perspective and move on with life, You got a gem of a person as your husband.

3. meena2

meena2 Senior IL'ite

Thanks Priya-mom for responding.

Yes, I am missing him very much. I told him so many times he can sell off that house to pay off the loan. And I am sure we will get back what we put in that. He simply laughs and says don't worry unnecessarily on that stupid loan. I don't want you to get wrinkles and grey hair over that silly thing. And he told me, next time you raise this topic I will not like it.

I know that another 6 months in this set up we can pay off that loan. We already sold off a plot in India to pay some amount. I told him I sometimes feel guilty he did not listen to his dad and instead went by my wishes and so we have to live like this. He slammed the phone. I called him and he did not take my call. He called next day and talked normally. I stopped talking about that matter from then on. But in my mind it is bothering me. I told him I love him and want him back soon. He said be patient, I am here for my work and will be back. After that he quickly changes the topic and asks if anything important and hangs up. But I think earlier he used to talk a lot then why he reduced drastically now. When I ask him he says dont be silly!!!!!

My parents praise him for putting up with my temperment. My inlaws think and told openly too that their son deserves a better person as his wife. They are surprised as to how their son could fall in love with me. Dh does not get bothered by their talk and the first time they commented he said it is his choice, his wife and he is now married and they should not talk like that anymore. They never raised this anymore.

One time I told my dh I think everyone thinks like that, that I am not fit to be his wife. He gave me a tight slap. He says he likes my impulsive nature and loved me for that. But now I think it landed us in living separately like this and he does not understand he needs to stop me sometimes atleast. He used to say I like when you argue with me and lose your temper, I dont want you to nod your head for everything I say.
    But, I curse this very nature of mine now.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  4. maroon

maroon Gold IL'ite

hi meena, could it be the idle mind playing devil's workshop? You could be imagining and blowing up the matters more. Even if there is some truth in your suspicion, why not believe your DH that everything is fine and be as you always were, for a few days and see if that cheers your DH a little.
    It could be that your DH is simply getting irritated with your constantly asking him about his behaviour. My suggestion is to just go on with life as though it is all still the same. Probably that could throw some positivity in both of you. On the other hand, if your DH has indeed changed, there is little you can do by throwing tantrums as that seems to only trigger a repulsive behaviour from your DH. So Cheer Up dear and try to cheer him up, is what I think you can do best at this point.

5. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

Hi Meena,
    This long distance marriage is not suiting you ! You are feeling that its because of the big loan which he took for the house in India thats he is away.
    See loans or no loans he has a job , you do not like it if he is jobless and neither does he.
    He has to have a career , and he is doing well , you should be happy.
    You are also worried about his extra curricular activities and are feeling jealous !

Since the big house is already bought think of it as an investment . Its value must have already increased. Whats the point of going back in time and crying over spilt milk ?
    Its normal for him to make a life for himself there . you cannot expect him to mope around .Visit him more often or try to change your job to his location. Give your own house on rent and be together.
    As for having fewer conversations , he is not in touch with your daily problems and neither do you know about his .

6. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

Meena2,

NO matter what first he need to find the job in the place you live or you rent your house and move to your husband place.Do either one of those.ASAP.

7. reverie

reverie New IL'ite

Dear Meena ,
    Given a choice, I would ask him to come home every weekend or move there temporarily since it is a long term assignment. Long separations & continuously lowering intimacy, especially in this land of million opportunities, will sow temptations & suspicions.
    For ages, these two have been the top2 reasons of relationship disasters. If I were you, I would ask him to come home every weekend or move there temporarily.

8. PeeVee

PeeVee Senior IL'ite

Meena,
    If you cannot move with your husband, then try to get engaged somehow while your kids go to school. I think once the kids go school you get bored and thinking all these things..If you are also busy during the day, you definitely won't feel like talking for long hours over phone..Your husband was also finding it very difficult initially to adjust with the new environment and was calling you for a long time..as time went he got used to the new place and job..ofcourse must be busy with work during day..and doesn't find it comfortable holding the phone for a long time..dont think he is changed..also remember that he doesnt have anyone there to help him with his household chores that you used to do for him..like washing his clothes, getting his dinner ready, etc..be happy that he is able to adjust in the new place without any of you..i know it is always sad..and thats why i told you to engage yourself..if you can move with him, then no second thinking, do it..

i have faced similar issues..my DH left me in india when he came to US for studies..i used to feel just like you..he had a tough time intially being away from the family..so he used to come online always..then he got used to the place and got busy with studies..then also i am back there without anything to do and try logging in all the time and going crazy like you..but later i came here in US..finished my studies too..both started working in same city..then husband lost his job and took up another one in a different city..but this time, i was a lot stronger..i think it was becoz i am also working..so i dont find time to think about him the whole day! evening both talk for 15-20 minutes..then back to household chores..

9. Kimaya

Kimaya Senior IL'ite

Hi Meena

There is nothing wrong with your husband. This is normal. He is staying in a different city and his focus is on his work and project. So, the only thing on his mind and in his conversations is work. He stays alone, has to arrange for dinner, iron clothes for next day, network with people, mentally prepare for work next day, maybe even answer some emails. So, the only thing he would like to talk about is if its anything urgent.

This happened with me couple of years ago and its normal since they spend most time with clients, colleagues, office they talk only about work. Have calm conversations with him like what were the 3 highlights of his day, any low points, show interest in his work, what happened in his meeting, what did he have for lunch/dinner etc.

Meena, you are a very lucky girl you got such a good DH who supports you so much bought a home for you. And instead of being happy you are still cribbing that his parents did not like your decision etc. Obviously he would be mad. The person for whom he did not do hate him anyway and the person whom he supported is also cribbing.

I’m sure he there must be a lot going on his workplace so he needs your support and you taking interest in those things will comfort him.

Also, about sex we all know men want sex and specially after long periods of distance the heart grows fonder. Its actually a very good sign that he is still interested in sex. So ENJOY HIM!

I don’t think its practical to rent your home just to be with him for 6 months and also uproot your kids. You could plan some trips mid way between you and your DH eg in Wisconsin/Michigan etc so you both don’t spend as much money and can enjoy as well. You could do this every alternate month or maybe twice in the next 6 months.

These periods of distance are when the strength of the relationship/trust is tested so be strong and this too shall pass. Soon he will be here and you both will forget this time, own your home and move on in life.

Hope this helped.

Thanks

Kimaya

10. Dilchahtahai

Dilchahtahai Senior IL'ite

My advice: Get A Job !! OR find something to do with your time !!
    This looks like all made up in imagination of a person who has a lot of time on her hand and not much to do..