1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Have you read this article about desis in NJ in the Time Magazine?

Discussion in 'Indians in New Jersey' started by Kimaya, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Dilchahtahai

Dilchahtahai Senior IL'ite

Kimaya, I lived in NJ. And if one wants to feel that one is still living in India and not United States, one should go and live in NJ. It is dirty, crowded, smelly and expensive.

And of course, you would see a lot of Indians there so would feel like India..

2. Naksh

Naksh Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Mariam :thumbsup

3. Naksh

Naksh Platinum IL'ite

Nope DCH. We dont have to.

Highlighted is the essense that i wanted to bring in. Differences are there. Just dont bother. One need not be a close buddy to understand a different culture or point of view, i think. Interact with everybody irrespective of race/caste/creed/color/region/language/smelly/oily with respect and move close with whomever you want to move at the end of the day that is what we want in life dont we? as a matter of fact, am the only Indian at my work and in this field in here :) I am form peak northern part of India and my Wife hails from heart of southern India :)

Live and let others live as long as their actions are not causing harm to anybody. Smelly/curry does not matter to me. But if i see something that causing harm to others i would do just like Mariam did (in her encounter with some kids throwing stones at an animal)/ if you see somebody leaving carts not in the cart stand instead in the parking sapces, that sometimes they hit the car causing not much damage but still..its not done.. such things need be objected.

4. Kimaya

Kimaya Senior IL'ite

Wow, dirty smelly and expensive. I don't want to grow up my kids there. I think what I need in a place where apart from good job oppurtunities and good schools is the warmth of living in a community. I do have friends in America who are American and they are good people, I just want friends with whom I can share my joys and things which make me sad. I think having friends is about having people to share your life with. I just don't like American people who look at me from an exotic value like a lion in a zoo. I would like to have a mix of family friends, Indian as well as American. So, DCH a balance between the 2 situations is what I need. America is a melting pot and we can no more make friends based on color.

5. Kimaya

Kimaya Senior IL'ite

I had been invited to couple of Thanksgiving dinners and Christmas parties by some of my friends. They all make us sit in the centre and ask questions like Are there tigers in India? Did you have an arranged marriage? Is elephant a god for you? etc etc. I want them to think we are one of them and not to point out as if we are different.

We even got asked at a party, not the same one...Are you terrorists? One lady met us and said oh my god I didn't know I would meet an Indian in my lifetime, I thought Natives were instinct now. She thought we were red indians...lol...We don't take such things seriously but definitely want a community/people where diversity is accepted.

Saying hi/hello, holding the door for someone is different but when you actually try and be friends with them, go to their home invite them over...some people specially Catholics have a tough time accepting us. Some are more diverse specially if they bought up like that eg with a Italian or Irish background.

6. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

And if you were; do they expect a full confession:). Some people....

Yes; I do sometimes hear such comments. Most of it will be"you speak english so well. Did you go to college here" . Well; my english is not that great; and initially I used to replay those comments in my mind to check whether it had sarcasic undertone. Now I understand; they are plain curious. I got to understand it from a psychatirist; who diagonised me a case of "high risk post-partum depression". He was surprised that I could communicate in english ; and he was more suprised to learn that english is the first language in schools; and kids learn it from KG class. He thanked me that he was very much benifitted from our session :)))

People doesn't know much about us as people; just as a race. They know that we have multiple gods; eat curry; ofcourse the "arranged marriages" and the "lovely" tan complexion. And ofcourse; we cannot expect people to know everything about "being an Indian" or other 257 countries of the world. If someone says to me they are from "Dhekelia" or "Jan Mayen"; I will be like which part of the earth is that :))))

So long as the questions do not borderline to insults it is ok and I do not think there is anything wrong in answering if you have the patience and time. The comment that they thought you guys to be native Indians; just shows their lack of awareness. If you feel that the qustions on arranged marriages are irksome; you can divert the conversation to "arranged polygamous" marriages practised by mormon community in US. I bet most of them will be ashamed to continue the disccusion:).
    -Nitha

7. Kimaya

Kimaya Senior IL'ite

Thanks, Nitha. Yes, I don't mind those topics. But I'm looking for a community where I can meet families and friends with whom I can do a heart to heart and not talk about my country's peculiarities.