1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Disability and children

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by tikka, Sep 12, 2010.

1. sumiram

sumiram New IL'ite

Tikka, I was just looking around the faqs and saw that I can send pms only after I hit 50 posts on the forum! :(

Ok, here is what I wanted to know. I'm looking around for schools to join my son. Probably in another six months or so. He has down syndrome and I'm looking at schools that provide inclusive education. I'm looking for a school that has teachers trained or experienced in handling kids if they require any additional support and at the same time have high expectations to bring the best out of the child. A school where the class strength isn't too huge and the teachers are able to work closely with the parents. Since, you were providing good feedback about inclusive education in your child's school, I just wanted to know the name of the school and more about it.

thanks in advance,
    Sumi

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Sumi, PM is also a paid feature now. I might have talked about DS's school here, but off late I am a little concerned about privacy given this is an open internet search-able forum and I have had a couple of people I am not that close to in my social circle trace me down here! I wish there was a way I can talk to you in private. Let me know if you are on facebook?
    I am sure you have a list of inclusive schools already, but maybe I can draw up another on the basis of the feedback I got?

3. sumiram

sumiram New IL'ite

Tikka, Yes, I understand. Thats why tried to pm. :(

I do have an id on facebook. Please search for Sumithra Raghavan. It would appear as Sumithra Ⓥ Raghavan and there would be my sons photo on the profile. Hope to meet you on fb.

I don't have any idea about the schools. Would love to know about them.

thanks again,
    Sumi
    <small>
    </small>

4. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Tikka:
    Asthma can be quite nicely helped with acupuncture. They sometimes put a tiny pin type thing on the ear under tape that you leave on for weeks and it will help with the asthmatic problems. It is easily removed and inserted.