1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Am i being selfish???

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by humble, Aug 31, 2010.

1. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

I hate to pick on other posters' posts. sorry about this aberration. but I hear this a lot. Please don't take this as a personal attack but as of now you are neither looking after your ILs or your parents, but you feel bad about your parents and Humble's PILs because they have to manage their life themselves. Do you think that is fair enough? It is easy to advise others about what's right and what's wrong, it is much more difficult to take responsibility and do something. You say that if you were in her situation, you would have lived with them but you are not in her situation. You feel bad for your parents, why don't you move close to them?

2. humble

humble Junior IL'ite

Thanks to all of you. You guys poured in your feelings very honestly.

First of all, for Ilites who asked me what if my children did the same to me, meaning, they treated me the way I am doing now to my PILs. I want to say that I am not ill-treating my PILs right now. I always wanted to live separately, I have done that for over a decade and will do that henceforth whether it is PILs now or children later. I don't wish to live with my children once they grow up to be independent adults. I want them to move out and live on their own. If a stage comes when I am sick and old then I know how to deal with that too. I wouldn't wish to move in with my children even then.

OK all said, this is what happened recently. I haven't logged in for a week now since I was busy with my PILs. Yeah! you read it right!

Reading some of your posts here, I decided I would get them for Ganesh Chaturthi and so I went on my own one afternoon. They thought kids were with me and though I know they were surprised to see me alone but did not show it out. I said I came to take you both with me since you could stay till Ganesh puja. After lunch, they packed few clothes and we came home. Dh was pleasantly surprised when he came home. It was 4 days before Ganesh puja. We all enjoyed shopping together for idol, flowers etc and later sitting for puja together.
    They were here till yesterday and last afternoon they left. They were quite happy and dh was also very happy and proud of me. As for me, I had nice time with them around. Kids were the ones who enjoyed the most with grandparents pampering them.

I was talking to DH last night and told him I think meeting for ocassions like this is good and we could meet them atleast once every 15 days too.
    I think I would prefer this rather than moving in completely.

So, tell me Ilites what you think about all this.

3. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

I am so glad everything went so well. So, Ganesh Chaturthi proved to be the ice breaker.
    You are doing great.Good on you.:thumbsup Hope you are happy and your MIL is keeping well now.

4. artistic

artistic Senior IL'ite

Dear Humble

Great move from ur end. I appreciate it. U made ur ILs happy.

Instead getting an appartment for them near u or living under ssame roof u can do one thing

1. ILs wanna live wherever they are or with u
    2. U are willing to move them near u and not to live with them

In order to satisfy above two concerns... U better get an appartment or house near theirs for u. Dont shift them let them be where they are

Buy a house for u guys near their home.. u can be peaceful also u / ur DH/kids can walk and talk with them happily. even they may also take a walk to ur home in evenings

This would help them in emergency cases regarding their health if at all anythg happens...

Try it out All the best
    -ARt

5. headspin

headspin Bronze IL'ite

i agree with spiderman1 and sowjanya...
    this is gonna be rude i know. but im being honest!
    IMO - it IS being selfish. like the work says.. u are only thinking about 'yourSELF'... neither their age, their health issues, their loneliness or their FEELINGS.

(They say either they live as they are now or live with us in our house.) - its obv they wanna live with you, but ONLY because of YOU they are away. infact they are being so selfless by not pressurizing your dh to convince you. and trust me - NO MAN will want to live away from their parents, esp aged and when in same city! our DH's maybe quiet, only to maintain peace. but trust me, it must be killing ur dh within...

i know life is not gonna be easy. i stay with in-laws. trust me, there are times when i wish/cry i lived alone. but when in laws are not around, i actually miss them. and my DS loves his grandparents. if u have the money and resources, whats the harm in keeping them around... ? what you are ready to do now, cant you do it staying with them?? they are alredy quite old. im not sure if u would understand - but everyone needs support in old age. after all, they will not outlive you right?? and its not like you have never stayed alone.. u enjoyed the initial 10 yrs of life by living away. come to think of it - they havent the pleasure to live with their DH or YOU or GRANDCHILDREN EVER... so, they have lived like this without ANY support! would you like it if your children did the same to you? how would you feel if you come to know your son's wife felt the same about you??
    Just think of these..
    1. do u wanna adjust for a 'part' of your entire life to make them happy for the remaining bit of life??
    2. bring a smile on DH's face by keeping his folks with you (i can bet he will love u crazy for this)
    3. let your children experience grandparents love?
    OR
    STILL WANT YOUR 'SPACE'...???

choice is yours!!!
    if its latter, then the answer to your thread heading is 'YES'....

6. humble

humble Junior IL'ite

Thanks Monita and Artistic.

Artistic, it is not possible this way since my kids school will be very far from the place ILs live and the commute time will tire them out too much. Now, Dh drops off the kids on his way to work which is just 4 kms from our house. But if we move there then it will be too much for kids and dh too.

NO MAN will want to live away from their parents

Thanks Headspin for being honest. But I got to tell this here that I am not stopping them from moving near to us. I dislike the idea of staying under one roof even if they are angels but whats their problem in staying at walkable distance from us where we can check on them regularly infact daily. I fail to understand why they refuse this proposal. In that way I have not asked my man to live away from his parents. I haven't asked him to abandon his parents. Then why so much fuss??

there are times when i wish/cry i lived alone.

No offense absolutely....but I would not want to live like this. I care for myself too and some may call that selfish. But for me to live in peace I need to care for my inner feelings and my wishes too.

u enjoyed the initial 10 yrs of life by living away.

It is the way I lived all those years and that is how I always wished to live. It is not called enjoying 10yrs of freedom, I call it as making my life the way I wanted to make in those initial 10yrs and thats how I have determined my way of life. Yeah, I need to make some changes to accomodate some things now in my life since times keep changing but not to the extent as compromise with my feelings so as to cause unrest in me.

would you like it if your children did the same to you? how would you feel if you come to know your son's wife felt the same about you??

I would never wish to live with my son/daughter's family once they start having their own families. If I am old and sick I would make arrangements to take care of myself but never live with my children under one roof once they become independent adults. So, that answers the question that my children wanting to live separately would be highly welcomed and encouraged by me.

7. PeeVee

PeeVee Senior IL'ite

but I would not want to live like this. I care for myself too and some may call that selfish. But for me to live in peace I need to care for my inner feelings and my wishes too.

you are very clear about what you want to do and different people have different views about your decision on this matter. and you know this too that some may call that selfish! Then why you started a thread hear asking "Am I being selfish"!!!!!!

I would never wish to live with my son/daughter's family once they start having their own families. If I am old and sick I would make arrangements to take care of myself but never live with my children under one roof once they become independent adults. So, that answers the question that my children wanting to live separately would be highly welcomed and encouraged by me.

I think you have a totally different thinking compared to an average ordinary indian..most of those who born and brought up in india always understand that it is their resposibility to take care of their in-laws and wish to be taken care by our kids in the oldage.yours is more like a western thought. here, they dont like to keep their parents in their home and parents also look forward for their kids to move out once they are grown up! i am not blaming you for it. But here in US, I felt, many parents dont even think about helping their kids with the education. So they grew up very independent and parents cannot claim that we took care of you until you could stay in your feet. Back in india, thats not the case. for a woman and man, parents help through the study, college and never tell us to go and live alone before we get married.. just like any other parents, your in-laws also wish to live with their son. but you being a different thinking person, it is not possible for them. when you say you dont want to live with your kids when they are gown up - "there you get exactly what you wish"..but your in-laws like to live with you and you dont like to live with them- they dont get what they wish...."then also you get exactly what you like"..this is what some people call selfish nature..if you think what you are doing is right, better not coming up with a question like this..

ofcourse one can always wish..expecting things like this is foolish. I used to tell my DH not to expect that our son will look after us when we are old..

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  8. rsk11584

rsk11584 Silver IL'ite

here are my 2 paise ...............

You are not selfish, you seem to have lost humanity... your lifestyle and thoughts have totally changed your perceptions.

Inlaws like everyone has ego or their self respect. They want to be near their son s family by heart and not by distance. So your idea of shifting them to just next street to your house will never be acceptable to them, because even if they shift near to your house for your so called privacy your attitude towards them will be same. And you will just do it as some formality.

In one post you mentioned your hubby has given them all luxuries in flat, and mentioned what else they want???? I tell you they want love, and care of their son. And your DH is not in a position to take decision whether to take care of old parents or listen to you. And since your DH is only son who livesi in same city as in laws live it is his prime responsibility to look after them.

You should be thankful that your inlaws not pressurized their son to live with them, else your life would have been devastated. :hide::hide:

Just because of you in laws are suffering as they are not able to live with their son.

There is age for everything. And once your cross 60 , your body and mind responds slowly, some one also mentioned that they told their DH that in old age also they wont live with their son. But once you become old you will become weak, and cant do all work, at such times the housemaids only will not help you will need love and care of your siblings. Also if one partner dies before another then the another one has to remain alone till his ticket comes. So till that time life will be more alone and tortorus for him / her :bonk:bonk . Also old people can have emergency medical help and in indi a there is no express ambulance so if their children are there they can immediately rush to hospital and give care.

You also mentioned that

very good thoughts but when you become old your thoughts will change, and at that time along with hubby you will need your children too and remember the ticket thing I mentioned earlier. Who goes first we dont know? THese are alll harsh realities. for your age now just try living alone for 15 days without your son and hubby , Can YOU LIVE ?? Then imagine of old age, dont assume things..

If you understand and are ready to give up on your privacy then it will do you good only, life is not just enjoying for yourself but living for others also. IF not no issue because the way you think now, same way your children are going to think about you, and it is sure tomorrow you will become old and need support.. then you will have deja vu feeling...:drowning:rotfl

9. humble

humble Junior IL'ite

Dear Ilites, Some of you said why this thread title when I am doing what I am doing.
    I have never anywhere said I am absolutely right. But, only expressed my views and listed my actions which may be wrong,selfish,selfcentred etc etc. I am not justifying here. Please read through and tell me what you think.

There are things that every human needs and moreso parents. I have never even in any remote corner of my brain had any ill-thoughts about my inlaws. Regarding the essential things of life......

MONEY.............I have never stopped or asked/questioned about my dh's spendings towards his parents. He has provided them with all the necessities of life and I don't mind him spending whatever he feels like towards them not only for bare necessities even for any luxuries they desire. Not only for material things but even towards their health my dh spends huge amount and I have no problem because I think after all he is taking care of his parents which is great.

Love and attention............I have never objected the way he showed attention for his parents or never came in the way he showed love towards them. Sometimes, he plans weekend nights for kids at grandparents house and if my kids are fine, I never say NO. If kids want to go to grandparents house I never say they cannot. Dh visits them as often as he desires and I have no problem with that.

DIL..............I may not be an ideal DIL but am not witchy too. I have no ill-feelings towards them neither I consider them as my own parents. How can I treat them as my own parents? After all they are not and that is the reality. My affection towards my parents is different and cannot share with anyone. Here, they are my husband's parents and that is just that for me. I respect them, am polite when we meet and help them when needed. What more is expected out of me?? Don't know.

The conflict..............They desire to live with us under one roof and this is the only area where I have objection. I have shown alternatives like living closer and not in the same house. I simply don't get why they don't like that idea of mine.
    Is this the only thing why even some Ilites branded me selfish???? Want to know clearly.
    Why do they only want to live with us in our house? Why not near in another house?
    Is it plain EGO or fear of society or what else???? If it is fear of society then who cares for society these days. Don't they have to consider their DIL's comfort level too and not listen to barking dogs called society???
    If it is plain EGO then who is at fault?

Other than the above if it is love towards son's family then even now their son is not loving them any less then what more?????

Why is only one thought process accepted and any deviation given names??? After all, we need to consider that every human is different with different brains then why only one way of thinking is always accepted and expected to be followed by all ?????

10. shilpapriya

shilpapriya New IL'ite

I appreciate your thoughts, you have some good intensions in ur mind, and knowingly ur helping ur IL's in some indirect method.
    so keep up the spirit.