Storing cooked dal in Fridge

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by sherin78, Sep 14, 2010.

1. sherin78

sherin78 Silver IL'ite

How should cooked dal be stored in a fridge? should it be placed in the freezer compartment or in the fridge section.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010

2. joshila

joshila Bronze IL'ite

i usually store the cooked dhal in the fridge section, top shelf. I wonder will a frozen dhal taste good on thawing ????

3. rose2000

rose2000 Silver IL'ite

I always store cooked dhal in the freezer in the freezer bags.it comes out good for sambhar/spinach dhal etc.

4. smilly

smilly Senior IL'ite

yes...we can put it in freezer it will be good very long days...but frindge is not sure for long days cooked dalls wiil get spoil very quikly.

frozen dalls will be good for cooking.for sambar.

5. skalluri

skalluri Gold IL'ite

For one of two days storage, I usually store in fridge, otherwise for more days, I put the cooked dal in glass container(pyrex) and store them in freezer section.

Sujatha.

6. joshila

joshila Bronze IL'ite

oh i c .....I have never frozen dhal ....I always thought it would become as hard as a stone .....maybe will give atry ....

7. sherin78

sherin78 Silver IL'ite

Thanks everyone for your replies. I normally store in the fridge section. But my mom says there is a change in the taste. I even tried once storing in the freezer section. But it came out like a stone and i find it difficult to seperate small quantities. If placed in freezer, how to store? Should it be in small packets. I dont want to thaw eachtime and place back in the freezer.

8. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

I made Horsegram chutney yesterday afternoon, and a part of it is still in the fridge(Indian conditions). Can i consume it tonight?

There's no perceptible taste/smell difference, when i checked it in the morning.

EDIT:I discarded it.

9. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Even in Indian conditions, storing cooked dals (or even chutneys) in fridge is ok for 2 days but more than that, you better freeze the cooked dal in small packets

It depends on how many days you want to store it and what you would use it for -

e.g storing cooked dals for sambar and rasam is ok, but if you want to make dal makhni, you wont get good consistency from the frozen cooked dal

You could also just soak the dals, drain and keep in fridge for 2-3 days or freezer for more days. You can cook it much faster along with rice. This especially works with whole dals, soya, chole, rajma etc.

1 person likes this.