1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

cutting board

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by shree, Sep 8, 2010.

1. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi friends,

need some input reg the cutting board. i was using the plastic one and found the plastic particles come like powder upon frequent use and mix with the vegetables. so bought a wooden and even that leaves wooden particles, am still using it. so i was wondering what u guys use. how about the glass ones. is anybody using that ? can u tell the review on that. thanx in advance

2. joshila

joshila Bronze IL'ite

hi shree,,,,
    I'm still using the wooden boards...but hv never seen wood dust off the board !!?!?! maybe try the branded wooden boards, I think they are worth the money. the ones u get in IKEA are also really good. I think glass is the best but only thing is that we hv to handle it carefully as can slip easliy. But wooden is sturdy & last long.

3. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi joshila,

thanx for the reply. the one what am using was bought from ikea it is a maple wood board.do u use the bamboo one.

4. joshila

joshila Bronze IL'ite

yep...i hv the bamboo one ....

5. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    Why don`t you try cutting sheets from BED BATH AND BEYOND.
    No particles,lightweight and multipurpose for chappathi making also.
    It comes in different colors. I am using it for a long time. Another advantage is you can fold little bit and pour the cut vegetables directly
    to the pan.
    Hope this will help!

6. joshila

joshila Bronze IL'ite

oh ya ...even I hv used but only thing I found was that it gets stained after a period ....so had to replace every 2-3 mths :bowdown

7. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi vidya,

my friend uses the sheet and that also leaves the plastic particles behind while cutting, so have to replace very often.

hi joshila,

we got the bamboo one from ikea few months back and it says u cannot cut onions on that as the smell will not go from the board also i read lots of instructions for the maintainance so finally gave it back. how about yours does it have any restrictions as to what cannot be cut in that. do share. thanx in advance.

8. joshila

joshila Bronze IL'ite

oh is it ...frankly speaking shree..... I didnt chk instructions ...but hv been using it for months ....I hv cut onions, garlic but I dont find anything different. I usually wipe with wet cloth after use. occassionally even wash with soap water. Maybe I think I still hv the instruction sheet somewhere. might chk wahts exactly there .....

9. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

I use the plastic thin ones only which I got almost 5 yrs back.It comes in packs of 4.It is called KitchenZONE(silicone ).I used one sheet for almost 3 yrs and nothing went wrong with it ,since it got a little stained,threw it away and now I am using the second sheet for almost 1 .5yrs now,nothing wrong with it till date.I am surprised that even with that,you are getting plastic particles coming out,I've not found any till date and it is so convenient for cutting and then folding to put the vegetables etc into the kadai,vessels etc.

10. sheshin

sheshin Gold IL'ite

I got wooden board from Bed Bath and Beyond and it is very sturdy. I use it to make chapathi too. So far I do not have issues with cutting onions or garlic. The only instruction I remember is it's need to hand wash (no dishwasher) and need to apply vegetable oil once in a month. It's working great and no chipped wooden particles so far. It's worth the price

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010