Ask here - The recipes you want from ChitVish

Discussion in 'Ask ChitVish' started by Priya Amarnath, Sep 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Mumbai Favorites Shal

Hi Shal,

Yes don't we all feel like going back to mumbai. My favorite was always Thalipith. With Mango achar yummy!!!. It has been a while since I made Zhunka. Hubby does not like it. Have you been to KhauGalli ( i think near Nirmala Niketan vicinity). All those Pav Bhaji stalls. You did not know which one to eat at. And ofcourse summer i used to love drinking Kokum Sarbat! I think we should start a Mumbai Thread now!

Vandhana

2. Shal

Shal Senior IL'ite

ohhh...mumbai meri jaan!

I know this is the wrong thread we are discussing on, but Vandana, I couldn't stop myself after reading your post!!!

Khau galli pav bhaji, man! do I love it?!! Thalipeeth is yummmm, so are roadside masala toast sandwiches(santacruz market esp), dhabeli, masala dosa, nimbu paani, chaat, and gola!!!!

I am almost sure I'll fall ill if I now go to India and visit the stalls, but what immunity we guys had when we were back in mumbai, din't we?!!

I also will make sure I visit the food court in malls for they serve desi subs, desi pizzas, pastas, etc which make me drool!!!:tongue

Love
    Shalini

p.s Dear Varloo, How bot a 'mumbai-meri jaan' thread under India ?

3. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

mumbai thread- asap

Dear Shal, Vandhana,

Pls let us start a Mumbai thread. Mumbai is my heart. I have eaten the pavbhaji in Khaugalli, brings back all the romantic days when my husband and I were engaged. Have you eaten the batata wada under the bridge in BB Dadar? I am going to sleep a very happy woman tonight talking abt amchi Mumbai.

I wish someone would post Maharashtrian recipes. I am dying for kothumbir wada and thalipith.

cheers
    VR

4. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Hello Shal & Vidya !

There is a sub-forum called Regional recipes under Recipes & cookery tips.
    I think you can start a Mumbai thread there - there are already Andhra recipes, Karnataka recipes etc.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

5. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

of course

Dear Shal,
    you are welcome to start any thread, every one will welcome it. India is a land of diversity in all aspects. Our variety of food is so vast. IL members would be very much interested to know about Mumbai recipes also. Go ahead and start.
    With warm wishes,
    varloo

6. Jana

Jana Senior IL'ite

Dear Chitra

In the last days, I have made nagarthar thengozhal, samosa, vegetable burger, milkau kozhambu, potato roast, brinji many times, poondu rasam. Others I dont remember. Everyday only your recipes. I write them down when you post and make. All are excellent. I like when you give chettinad recipes. Can you give chettinad avial? I ate in chettinad food festival, very nice. They made beans kootu like your recipe. Please give herbal sherbets recipes for summer.

7. Chitvish

Your long absence is excused because of your list !

Dear Jana,
    Thankyou very much. I get all these from my Chettiar friend, Their avial, as far as i know is made with brinjal & potato & is quite " masala - ish". If you want, I shall send you by private mail, since it is very different from conventional avial !
    Love & Regards,
    Chithra.

8. eagle

eagle Bronze IL'ite

Dear Mrs.Chitra

I made bajji yday evening and it came out very well. This time I made as per your recipe and it came our crisp and delicious. We had so much bajji that we had to skip dinner.
    Thank you for the step by step instruction on every recipe. It is very helpful.
    You are doing a great job!!

Love

Eagle

9. Chitvish

Your post flatters me !

Dear Eagle,
    Since bajji is an alltime favourite but a little tricky at the same time, I posted it in great detail ! I am happy that my efforts are worth always !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

10. Shal

Shal Senior IL'ite

Garlic rasam, besh besh!!

Dear Mrs Chitra,

I used to despise garlic in food(except north-indian dishes) and would never ever eat it at all...and now after getting married to a garlic-lover, I started using it in all dishes and acquired the taste and kinda started liking it! Nevertheless, I never had the courage to convince myself to having garlic rasam, but today when I made it for lunch, trust me, I was drinking it away!!! You mentioned one cup of garlic flakes and that scared me, but it defly was more delicious than any rasam I've had in recent times!

I want to know if I could replace white pumpkin/pushnikai in lauki halwa's recipe. I got a couple of pushnikai halwa recipes(cook with milk+sugar+raisins), wanted to know if I could use them incase I cannot replace it for lauki.

Thanks,
    Shalini

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.