How much is too much ?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by PinksAndBlues, Aug 31, 2010.

1. PinksAndBlues

PinksAndBlues Senior IL'ite

Dear friends
    Im back with one more query. I am currently in the 16th week . Nowadays I find that I am hungry at frequent intervals. I wake up at 6 in the morning and drink some water and have half of a fruit or banana. After that at 8 I have breakfast , again find myself hungry at around11 , have some biscuits or fruit , then lunch at 1 , again light snack at 4 like bread and some juice etc, then dinner at 8 or 9 .
    I am not having big meals , infact if anything my meals are smaller than pre pregnancy (not on purpose, just feeling full faster nowadays) . So is it ok to eat this frequently ? Before pregnancy I was normal weight , neither overweight nor underweight but I am worried if I eat like this I will gain more than necessary.. During my first pregnancy I put on a total of 12 kgs but I lost all of it fast after baby was born. But also that time I was feeling this hungry only in late pregnancy ..maybe after 7th month or so..
    This time I really dont know why I am so hungry and where all the food is going :bonkIs it normal to get so hungry so early on ?Would appreciate some advice

2. arch

arch Senior IL'ite

i read somewhere that its common to feel hungry after the nauseating period/3 months, when we don't eat much.. maybe the baby is demanding more this time :D don't worry.. i guess this is alright.. also you are just having snacks in b/w the main course. guess thats needed...

3. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Hi P and B,
    Though it is perfectly normal and acceptable to have hungry during pregnancy, but be little cautious on the type of your intake. Be it in a nutritious way. THe thumb rule could be 1 Kg every month by min, so your pregnancy weight should be between 9-12 Kgs in a normal tone, and if its beyond chk with your gynic on thyroid levels.
    One of the reasons why you may be feeling a little hungry is because the hormone leptin - which controls hunger - is a little off during pregnancy. Receptors in the brain work to suppress chemicals that suppress your hunger - thus causing you to become more hungry, to ensure that you will eat enough to get your baby more nutrients.

4. PinksAndBlues

PinksAndBlues Senior IL'ite

Thanks arch and priya mommy. I didnt know about leptin hormone ..

I talked to my gynaec and he suggested that weight gain should be 3 to 5 pounds in first trimester and after that one pound every week for second and third trimesters. So total weight gain should be from 25 to 40 pounds in 9 months. So far Im well within that range . Also I'm taking care to eat high fiber and low fat foods so guess its ok :)

5. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Like Priya mentioned, watch what you eat. Eat more protein that way you won't feel hungry for atleast lil longer.

6. daisymom

daisymom Senior IL'ite

Sweetheart,

eat frequently, eat light

avoid processed foods and added sugar like noodles, biscuits, pizza, white bread , packaged juices , sweets etc.

the LO needs just 300 calories extra everyday, something like 2 avg size banana... we dont actually have to eat for two :)

eating frequently but light makes sure that we dont suffer from fluctuating sugar level/BP/acidity

i have seen so many would be moms struggling to control weight in the last trimester when it really shoots up!
    dont be surprised to gain 4-5 KGs in the last month itself! so keep some margin left for that time!

best of luck!