1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

How do I get myself to drink more fluids(esp water)?

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by aswini, Aug 26, 2010.

1. aswini

aswini Senior IL'ite

Hello All,

I have this problem of not drinking 8 - 10 glasses of water everyday. For some reason, I dont feel very thirsty in general (except some rare occasions). Even if I feel thirsty, I can quench my thirst with 2-3 sips and wont feel like drinking more. My average fluid intake per day would be around 5 glasses :hide:

I follow a very reasonable exercise routine, watch what I eat but this water thing is something I haven't been able to practice. I know its one of the most important thing in a healthy lifestyle but never been able to do it.

Any tips or suggestions to increase fluid intake is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

2. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

Dear Aswini,
    you need to develop a taste for water and make yourself drink more water especially warm water, gradually start with one glass then 2 and so on it will work for you, just need to try it.
    love
    alpa:cheers

3. OOPALL

OOPALL Silver IL'ite

Hi aswini,
    Have you tried adding the drink mixes to the water? What I am referring to as drink mixes is crystal light/ kellogs and some other companies have these flavoured powdered drink mixes that you just add to a bottle of water, shake and drink.
    I actually use Trim Energy brand. It is tasty and also has fiber.

Thanks,
    Oopall

4. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I think there is some disagreement that people need 8 glasses a day and logically a small person will not need as much water as a large person and still it is 8 glasses. Another factor is the diet. Some items in a the diet can be considered as fluids and include Jello, pudding, soup. One thing I have found to be very helpful is to remember to drink if I wake up in the night. Years ago I sometimes would wake up with a headache and I now know it was dehydration in the night. I now take a half or full glass of water in the night and don't have that problem any more. Also watch out for items that will make you dehydrated: salted items, wine, ham, etc.

5. vmtaurus

vmtaurus Bronze IL'ite

Hi Aswini

A good tip is to keep a bottle with you always. I use a 500 ml bottle and ensure that I drink up the bottle in the course of the day. I work, so keep drinking every 20 mins or so. I try to finish 500 ml before lunch and another 500 ml after. This is, apart from the water or any other liquid I would drink during meals or during the day
    Try keeping a bottle next to you always. You might be more encouraged to drink this way!

6. aswini

aswini Senior IL'ite

Thank you ladies. I will try to follow your tips and see how it goes. Right now I am trying to drink water before meals. Not very regular in doing it but trying..
    Lets see how that goes!!

thank u all again

7. skavithajaya

skavithajaya Senior IL'ite

Hi Aswini, drinking lot of water is really good... if u are working in PC all the time means keep a reminder which pops out in 20 mins once, or keep a alarm in mobile....iam practising the first one will keep a reminder in my PC , it wil pop up every 15 mins, with a msg "Drink water - Healthy life" :) ..so we never forget to drink.....try and let me know

8. indianguy2010

indianguy2010 IL Hall of Fame

Hi Ashwini,

We have an organ called hypothalamus deep inside our brain. In hypothalamus there is an area called 'thirst centre'. This part controls our water intake. Depending upon what is the ambient temperature and our body water content, it gives the body, the 'desire to drink water' , in other words , 'thirst'.

It is enough to drink water to quench your thirst. There is nothing like, taking these many glasses of water will wash off the toxic substances from blood etc, Such concepts have physiological basis. Body has its own well built mechanism to eliminate wastes.

There is only one situation, where a person is advised to drink more and more glasses of water, in excess of his / her thirst, that is urinary infection. Because, here, the excess water washes off the bacteria and sediments in the infected urinary system.

Nowhere except the above, taking water , in excess of one's thirst gives any benefit, be it in weight loss or any other area.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  9. divyarnair

divyarnair Silver IL'ite

Only solution is to always remember that you have to drink water.Keep a bottle near you, so that you are reminded.

AC can be a culprit.Whn we sit for long time in AC,we dont perspire .Hence dont become thirsty.So if ur at home try not using AC.