1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Empty, Futile Dreams

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ojaantrik, Sep 2, 2010.

1. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

the_boat.jpg

I stood on the beach mesmerized by this cute little sailing boat. A blue piece of flotsam defying the blue enormity of the sea. I think I heard Tagore speak out to me in his immortal poem Sonar Tori (The Golden Boat):[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    Where are you headed, my dear, to what distant lands?

Moor your vessel for just a while please here on these sands.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    The boatman did not hear what I heard. The waves rocked the boat further and further away. The sun was about to set and the beach was a lovely gold. As gold as their hair. The sea too was as blue as the eyes of the mermaids that never sang to me. I heard instead Bellafonte whispering:
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    Down the way where the nights are gay

And the sun shines daily on the mountain top

I took a trip on a sailing ship and when I reached Jamaica I made a stop.

But I am sad to say, I am on my way

I won’t be back for many a day

My heart is down an’ my head is turnin’ around

I had to leave a little girl in Kingstontown.
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    I sighed and looked up at the mellow sky. No little girl waved back at me. She never will. She never was there to wave. But I am sad to say that I am on my way.

I have searched for her since the beginning of time. And then I departed on a small dinghy. Too small to accomplish so impossible a mission.

three_men_in_a_boat.jpg

I grew old and eventually died. Yet I never found her. [FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]​

If you happen to locate her someday, somewhere, do convey to her the story of my unrequited love. Do let her know that I will keep on waiting for the remainder of eternity too.

A haiku is in order before I pack up my laptop friends.
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    On the mighty sea

Desperately cling to waves

Empty, futile dreams

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010

2. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dreams are ellusive

Your girl is right next to you

Catch her while you can

Beautiful pictures. You seem to capture beauty both with your words and views. Yes, beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. So does happiness...it is there for you only if you are able to recognize it!

L, Kamla

3. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Wonderful pics, thank you so much for sharing. Felt like going to the beach after reading your post :)
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

4. ojaantrik

Dear Kamla:

Did you notice though how I deceived Cheeniaya? I wrote a poem that he cannot shift to the poem forum!!

Love.

oj-da

5. ojaantrik

Thanks friend. That was the general idea!!

All the best.

oj-da

6. sujathaumakanth

sujathaumakanth Bronze IL'ite

Ha! But you know what this "Ha" stands for right :))

Beautiful lines borrowed, beautiful lines penned, beautiful dreams etched............

Kind Regards,
    Sujatha

7. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

I sense a melancholy tone in the Haiku OJ da. Not sure if it reflects the mind of the reader.

Dreams soar high with the waves
    Only to be thrown back on the sandy beach
    To bake in the sun and be stomped upon.

Our dreams crushed and burried under the sand
    Carried away again by monstrous waves
    Only to be thrown back one more time.....

Oh, what a painful thought!! The heart bleeds...

Why do we go through painful cycles of dreaming?

:) That was my piece of a masala feedback OJ da to your beautiful words. It just gave me a nudge to listen to a few songs by Harry Bellafonte too!

Thank you.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear OJ,

Dear friend, the beach sure inspires some of yr best writings.i suggest u stay put there, and keep writing.Indus will pay for all the expenses, loadging and boarding too, for u keep us entralled with some wonmderful poems and thoughts.

while mere mortals like me, go to beach to see the bikin clade females, u think up lovely thoughts and peotry.:biglaughYou use the mind more than the eyes .HAHA

Lovley post dear friend, keep posting.And who is that little girl?

Regards

kamal

9. Raba

Raba Gold IL'ite

Dear Oj da,
    As kamalji said, the beach for sure inspired you not only to write but to take vey lovely pictures.

Very nice one:cheers

10. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear OJ
    Your empty, futile dreams reminded me of something that I wrote long, long back in the Blogs.
    I would love to share it with you!

There was this magnificent ship cast in pure gold and studded with precious gems, a vessel that was built to traverse not only the mundane waters of the seven seas but also the oceans of the heavens. But alas, it had no one to take command and guide it to set sail. For a long, long time it remained rudderless. With the efflux of time and the absence of an ideal commander, the ship started aging and the glittering gold lost all its sheen till it was a dull sheet of pale yellow. The precious gems that shone like the bright stars of the heavens were now like the telltale signs of a ravaging plague. The ship looked pathetic, tossing about in the high seas, a mere shell of what once was the most beautiful sight on earth.

It was then that I sighted the dying ship in the blinding flash of a heavenly light. In that split second, I could see that the aging ship belonged to me. Beneath the thin veneer of its withering gold, I could perceive all the magnificence that must have been an inherent part of this wondrous ship. I knew instantly that it needed me most to regain all its glory. I suddenly felt this urge to take command gushing into my whole being. And so I took command.

When I put my hand on the helm, the whole ship shook in a mighty heave and through my fingers I could feel how long it must have waited for me and how much it longed for this magic touch. As if touched by the wand of the world’s greatest magician, the ship regained all its lost magnificence instantly. The gold shone brighter than ever before and the gems put the stars to shame. With my deft hands steering it, the heavenly ship sailed along the silvery moon for its most memorable voyage. Soon it became a legend traversing the seas of all the worlds here and beyond the limits of the heavens.

I knew that soon a day would come when my ship would be lifeless. It would be the saddest day of my life. But then, nothing would keep me away from it. We belong to each other. We have no will to exist without the other.

Sri

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010