1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Two to tango....

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sujathaumakanth, Aug 30, 2010.

1. sujathaumakanth

sujathaumakanth Bronze IL'ite

Thanks my dear Suria, appreciate your comment :))

2. sujathaumakanth

No worries OJ-da :)) It is indeed a privilege to have you visit my post twice :))

3. sujathaumakanth

Dear Ice, I greatly appreciate your concern.......sometimes that itself makes a huge difference. To learn to empathize is in itself a great lesson. So we are indeed contributing, helping these women in our own way, perhaps the next time if injustice is meted out in our neighbourhood, we might stand up against it, who knows.......cheer up dear !!!

Regards
    Sujatha

4. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sujatha,
    A thought provoking post penned in a wonderful manner.
    A woman was once spared by the intervention of Jesus when He said to those gathered ready to stone her to death for adultery, “Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.” Over the years, it has become the general assumption that human nature has, over the centuries, become less prone to such cruel methods of dishing out its idea of justice. It is for this reason that I hope the news circulating on major media channels turns out to be some kind of media ploy merely designed to arouse the sensitivities of soft-hearted people like me – in which case I would say they’ve been successful because I have not been able to think of much else since I first came across the news of Sakineh Ashtiani, an Iranian woman sentenced to die by stoning for adultery
    Women are subjected to such extremes of submission that lack of sexual satisfaction in a marriage is considered a non-issue. Men on the other hand are free to satisfy their marital dis satisfactions in several ways – marry more wives, file for divorce, or seek sexual satisfaction in a temporary marital arrangement that requires no official marriage registration, and no legal responsibility for any children that may ensue from such an arrangement. These make it very difficult for a man to be accused of committing adultery under the law.Violence, injustices and discrimination against women is rife in every human society. They are usually justified through laws, culture, religion, all three, or any one on its own. It is a sad state of affairs that breaks my heart as a woman. There isn’t anything I can do about it but sit here and allow tears to roll down my cheeks as I cry for an unknown woman whose picture I’m not even sure is real. But, knowledge is powerful! Many crimes in society go unnoticed and justified because others pretend not to see or are ignorant to its very existence. It leaves the door wide open for the perpetrators of injustice to continue to do what they do best. Every culture has its own societal ills against its women. It makes me wonder “why?” “Why?!” has always been the big question I am often left with every time I find myself pondering the demise of women. But, I never seem to find the answers I seek.Thank you for giving me a chance to pour out my feelings. Sorry for the long feed back.
    with love
    pad

5. sujathaumakanth

Dear Padmini, I always look forward to read your comments.......the longer the better :)) I loved your lines ".....as I cry for an unknown woman whose picture I’m not even sure is real.".....it is indeed true.... I dont know why her cause struck a chord in me. But yes, we are quite limited in what we can achieve as an individual against the ills of the society. But as you say, atleast we are no longer remaining silent, are we?? Someday, the rumble will get loud enough for everyone to hear........

There are no quick or easy fixes to problems that are so ingrained in any culture......but we can still hope that things will get better for women someday !!!

Thanks dear for your lovely words and the time and effort you put in writing them !!!

Hugs,
    Sujatha

6. meenasankaran

meenasankaran Platinum IL'ite

Suja,

That was a heart-wrenching post. As a coward who chooses to live in a 'fool's paradise' of a news-free world, stories of stark injustice like these come as a reality slap on my face. Stoning someone is a justified legal punishment for an offense in this 21st century? I am speechless with horror. We need the birth of many more Mahatma Gandhis to cleanse this world, I guess.

Thank you for raising your voice in support of this poor woman. May God watch over everyone of these women who are subjected to such unspeakable torture, injustice and discrimination.

7. sujathaumakanth

Well dear, as much as I know these lone voices are not going to make much of a difference, I am still not able to relinquish hope.......some day these practices might come to an end, till then these posts will continue.

Thanks for your kind words !!!

8. ROHANDHARESH

ROHANDHARESH Senior IL'ite

adultery is a crime only for men; women are outside the ambit of the law on adultery

9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sujatha,

What u wrote, brings tears to the eyes.

i am a man, still i wont take the men's side.Yes adultery is possible when a man and a woman are involved, so why are the men left out.Justice would be if the man too is stoned to death.

And may i ask when America wants justic all over the world, interfering in the internal workings of Egypt, Libya and other countries, why dont they condemn Saudi Arabia for these stonings and beheadings, where is Human Rights organiszation here ?

Where are Shabana Azmi, Javed Akhtar, and other speakers of Muslime and woman's rights?

Where is Arunadhati Roy, Medha patkar, are they sleeping ?

No, the truth is Saudi has oil, which we need, so we keep quiet.

Shame on all those who are keeping their eyes closed like the ostrich.

Well written, well said.

Regards

kamal