1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

How To Stitch Churidhar - patiala salwar?

Discussion in 'Sewing & Stitching' started by redha, Nov 4, 2008.

1. jeejaka

jeejaka Gold IL'ite

Need urget reply - How much cloth is required for stitching kurta?

Hi Everybody,

How much cloth is required to stitch kurta of 25" length and 3/4 th length sleeve if the cloth is 44" wide?

waiting for the reply

Regards

jeeja

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  2. pallavik

pallavik New IL'ite

Re: Need urget reply - How much cloth is required for stitching kurta?

Hello Jeeja,

1 and 1/2 meters is what usually tailors ask for this length of kurta. This much is usually sufficient. May be you can check with your tailor once.

-Pallavi

3. krs

krs Bronze IL'ite

Baby boy kurtha instruction please....

Hi,

I need a kurtha cutting and stitching procedure for my baby boy who is turning 1year next month.

If anybody knows it, kindly give me. I know to stitch blouse and salwar, so i can follow the instructions what you are giving.

Hope somebody will help me on this....

Thanks
    Krs

4. parampara

parampara New IL'ite

traditional angarkha pattern (Mughal era)

Hi dear Ladies,
    does any of you know how to sew angarkha, as traditional as possible? I need it to be like you can see on Mughal miniatures, but I can't sew without a pattern. Any ideas where to get it from?
    thanks a lot
    parampara

5. ambikaprasad

ambikaprasad New IL'ite

collar stitching

hi,

can u tell me how to cut and stitch collar for the salwars.

pl let me know as early as possible.

:coffee

6. anithawilson

anithawilson New IL'ite

need Information

Hello,

I am anitha wilson a leading chudidhar tailor in my place. I want to purchase chudidhar lining cloths for my customers. Where i purchase these lining cloths in bulk (by whole sale)

Anithawilson

7. julieramesh

julieramesh Silver IL'ite

Re: need Information

hi anitha.. happy to see an ilite from my neighbour place.. my native is nagapattinam only... u can try in MU RA Sons and in MOHAN textiles.. if u r not getting there some colours, have a visit to trichy and u can get in SARATHAS at low rate... hope this helps u...

8. findgounima

findgounima New IL'ite

how to stitch an umbrella cut salwar and how much cloth do we need

can someone tell me how to cut for an umbrella cut salwar and how much material we will need for it:) pls

9. varshinee

varshinee New IL'ite

hai, kindly let me know how to cut patiala pants & churidar pants:coffee

10. simrannkaur

simrannkaur New IL'ite

Hi Redha,

I am not a professional tailor, but yes do some stiching at home.

You should know how to handle the sewing machine before you attempt to stich anything.

Start stiching on a cotton material because its easy to handle and not very costly also.

Keep in mind that cotton material srinks so always keep half a inch extra while cutting.

For a normal salwar you need 2 1/2 meter cloth which has width of 40-42 inches. You get materials with 36 inch width and 60 inch width also.

Start with 42 inches width as this is easy to handle.

As you must be having a salwar you can use this as a reference for making a new one.

Measrue the length of your salwar. Remeber the length is in 2 parts first part which is normally 8 to 10 inches. this is called as the belt. and below part is the actual salwar. Olden days there were no belts to the salwar but that makes quite uncomfortable to wear as all the pleats come on the waist and makes you look plumpy. So the belt custom was introduced.

Back to cutting: Fold the cloth length wise as per your desired length. Then fold it side ways. measure the other areas (Bottom & the middle area) mark it and cut the material. Or else you can place your old salwar on it leave half inch for stiching and then cut it and stitch it.

Attach this to the belt: measure around 10inches in the front side of the belt mark it, the front part of the salwar should be atached to this 10 inches so you need to adjust the pleats accordingly. and the remaining part of the salwar should be pleated at the back side of the belt. your salwar is ready.

For patiala salwar the pleats should be almost double the normal salwar and all the pleats should be on the front side. It looks good on a fine satin material. You can use your geometry knowledge to adjust the material and have more pleats. you will need atleast 4 metres for a good patiala salwar.

For churidar measure the length and fold it diagonally and then cut place your old churidar and cut accordingly.

For tops I normally use the tops which are perfect fitting as reference keep it on the material and cut.

You need to have a basic knowledge of using the sewing machine and then use your imaginations to create designer dresses.

have a happy stiching.