What are your plans for this Navratri!!

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by Sindhuja, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    I am wondering if we can find golu padis (the foldable one) in Home depot. Please let me know. Thanks!

2. vidyasundar

vidyasundar Bronze IL'ite

Golu bommaigal

Hi IL,
    Can anybody tell me whether we can keep palani andavar doll which is in aandi kolam in golu since i bought arupadai veedu set and it has one such doll where one of my neighbour said that we r not supposed to keep aandi kolam doll at home.
    thanks
    vidyasundar

3. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Re: Golu bommaigal

Pls do share all of yr ideas to keep park/hill/zoo etc. in golu. Would be very helpful, friends..

Thanks.

4. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Re: Golu padis in Home depot

Hi,

Not sure abt the folding type, but, you can dismantle it separately once the festival is over; we have bought separate wooden planks and got it fixed all by ourselves. This does not occupy much space too as it is a triangular type, so, a corner will do.

Hope this helps.

5. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Hi Ami,
    Thanks for your input. Did you buy it from Home Depot? Did you buy the stand kind of thing to fix the planks? If yes, can you let me know what it is called?
    Thanks!

6. mkthpavi

mkthpavi Senior IL'ite

hello ladies..

Can someone let me know where can I get Golu Padis (or some equivalent one) in London?

Love
    Pavithra

7. heman

heman New IL'ite

Golu for the first time

Hello everyone,

I'm a new ILite. I'm thrilled to have found this site. Amazing group of people here. I have a question about keeping golu for the first time. I went through the previous threads in this forum. But couldn't find an answer to my question.

1) First of all, I'm not a brahmin.Does that stop me from keeping a golu? In my family or my in-law's family, no one ever kept a golu. But I have been interested since childhood and now that I have a child of my own, I want her to learn the traidtion.
    2) In which direction should the golu steps be facing?
    3) Is there any tip on how to set up golu padis? (other than buying the wooden plans from Home Depot, my husband will not be up for it).

Thanks in advance for your answers.

~Hema

8. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Re: Golu for the first time

Hi Hema,
    Welcome to IL.
    Regarding Golu, anyone who has interest can keep it. But some people do not keep if their parents or in -laws do not have that custom. It's upto you.

Secondly, you have to keep odd numbers of padis or steps. I keep the steps facing eastern or northern side.

Third, you can use cardboard boxes, desks or tables, which you don't use frequently for making steps. You can cover them with white cloth ( I use my silk saree to cover the planks).
    Hope that helps,

Happy Golu!
    Sindhu

9. heman

heman New IL'ite

Re: Golu for the first time

Thanks for the reponse Sindhu. I will have to check with my mom and MIL if they have any objection to it. Btw, I like the quote in your signature. It made me stop and think.

Thanks, H

10. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Could someone please clarify what is available in Home Depot and what kind of steps that you are talking ? thanks in advance.